E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

SMG only?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004 | 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Jul 31 2004, 08:38 PM
So - no joke - do I just not know how to drive a SMG?
With all due respect, I'll say yes and no.

You are correct that you lose the "feel" of the gear you are in. (I've been a big proponent of BMW adding the gear indicator in the HUD.) I think the difference you are experiencing lies in the fact that the SMG is entirely different than anything any of us are (or were) used to. It's clearly disorienting to drive an SMG for the first month or so. At some point in time, you begin to "get it" and an entirely new and different "feel" develops. You become "one" again with the car once you get some extended time behind the wheel.

I've had the car for only three months or so now and I have to say, the new feel gets better each day and I'm sure that there will be a point where I'll feel funny driving the old-style manual.

As for my lame sailboat/winch analogy, I see your point but my point was about progress through invention and technology, not simply automating a physical process.

Again, there's nothing wrong with a clutch and a manual shifter -- I just think they will become obsolete in the future.
Old 07-31-2004 | 06:16 PM
Senior Members

Rudy, first be sure that I'm absolutely cool with this discussion thread. There's not a right and a wrong point of view.

I also understand the fact that after a while you just "get" SMG. But I have to admit, it's a bit frightening to spent $60+ large in the hope that I "like" what I "get" (especially when I already love what I've already got). In any case, I'm absolutely certain that you're right - SMG is the future. Everytime I buy a 5er, I fear it's my last stick. This time may be for real!

Be cool. Drive hard.
Old 07-31-2004 | 06:19 PM
Senior Members

Don't meen to but in but hinckley/sailboats........any connection? Just curious -_-
Old 07-31-2004 | 06:30 PM
Senior Members

[Don't meen to but in but hinckley/sailboats........any connection? Just curious ]

Yes . . . the connection is the passion of wind powering 30,000 pounds of boat without the aid of internal combustion!! But no family ties if that was the question.
Old 07-31-2004 | 06:42 PM
Senior Members

Just a fan of their boats, not an owner, no time to sail anymore, but when I retire I'd like to sail one off into the sunset.
Old 07-31-2004 | 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by hinckley' date='Jul 31 2004, 10:16 PM
But I have to admit, it's a bit frightening to spent $60+ large in the hope that I "like" what I "get" (especially when I already love what I've already got).
Believe me, I sweated that one out for sure! Thankfully, my story had a happy ending.

I really have a friend to thank for helping me make the right decision. He owned an SMG M3 (that I drove for like a half-hour when it was new) for a few years and he told me he'd buy another SMG in a heartbeat. I held his opinion in high regard since he's had some racing experience and is a bonafide car junkie like me.

Obviously, it was still a stressful decision to make....

Happy sailing!
Old 08-02-2004 | 05:07 AM
Contributors

I had SMG on my old E46 M3 , and after a week realised this was the way forward. Remember you do no need to use the paddles to change gear. You can use the gearknob forward and backwards (especially useful in cornering). I drove everwhere in S5 and if I can afford the M5 will be very happy with SMG.

Steve
Old 08-02-2004 | 05:52 AM
Super Moderator

Steve gets it!
Old 08-02-2004 | 06:57 AM
Senior Members

So I'm trying to keep an open mind on SMG.

I'd like to understand why SMG is so much superior to "manu-matics" that everyone seems to agree are lame. I understand the technology difference and the fact that SMG provides quicker shifts, but is there more?
Old 08-02-2004 | 09:32 AM
Senior Members

Some more info HERE

Quick Reply: SMG only?