E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Potholes on LI

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skunkd
true, im not thinking clearly! hmm so other than the tire what could be rubbing up front? or maybe its just the flat tire. well i'm bringing the rim to be repaired tomorrow so i'll get a tire mounted on it and then put it back on and see if there is any clicking noise. I jut got an alignment too prob gonna need a new one
Maybe it's wheel interference with brake disc ... once you get it straightened the clicking may go away.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

That's exactly why I'm not taking the M out until the road are fixed. They are at their worst ever. I've been driving the X around with the 18's and thank god I am...I have hit some really bad ones on the LIE, Northern State, Jericho and just about every other road. Unless you have to drive around with the M, I would suggest keeping it inside until the roads are fixed. If you have to use it, I'd recommend dealing with the ugly looks of the 166's and mounting those.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

any idea if the town will help at all with this repair bill ? (this happened in huntington) I have heard some people say I should write a letter to the town about it and might be able to get some reimbursement. anyone have any positive experiences or is that not worth my time?
Reimbursement will take 6-9 months, if you're lucky. In the meantime, take the wheel to Als' Hubcaps in Mineola on Jericho Turnpike. He'll fix it and make it like new again.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Sorry to hear about your situation, dude.

Its about time the people of NY and NJ get together and put an end to the thieving bastards that are responsible for maintaining our roads! I am ready to friggin' revolt for real - all these "organizations" who receive our tax moneys and we still have to deal with this?! I think its completely unfair. Back in the day, when the U.S. was just coming to be this kind of sh!t was dealt with differently. But these days, we've gotten soft and all politically correct and all of a sudden its NOT ok to speak out against the fvcks that are in fact ROBBING us... :thumbsdown:

We should get our evidence together and file a class action against the municipality that distributes the funds for road maintenance IMHO
It's inevitable my friend.
Old 02-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
It's inevitable my friend.
all I know is: it WILL get worse if sit idly by. MUCH worse.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:23 PM
Members

true, im not thinking clearly! hmm so other than the tire what could be rubbing up front? or maybe its just the flat tire. well i'm bringing the rim to be repaired tomorrow so i'll get a tire mounted on it and then put it back on and see if there is any clicking noise. I jut got an alignment too prob gonna need a new one
Don't know if this helps but when I hit a pothole with my car I busted the front passenger strut. This was the main cause of my clicking. After replacing I never had that problem again. Just my .02 cents
Old 02-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian
all I know is: it WILL get worse if sit idly by. MUCH worse.
I tried my stint in local government serving on a Manhattan community board. It was a complete waste of time. I have zero faith in local government. There are, of course, some good people in local government and in elective office but as a wbole, te system srinks.

Local government is all about small time corruption because the media does not give a hoot about small potatoes stuff. The roads around NYC will always be a mess because the system is fixed to ensure that the roads constantly need fixing. Constant fixing means big government $$$$. Fixing them right means less work and less government largees and less dirty money.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

This is exactly why my beloved 172s are spending the winter in my mother in law's garage and why my 550 is riding on plain jane 123s with extra-tall 45 series 18 inch tires.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

Lol crap how much do m5 struts go for?
Old 02-28-2010, 07:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Originally Posted by luigi524td
That sux!

And if I look closely at your picture I see a situation that I have, numerous times, brought to the attention of my local road departments.

There are multiple patches in the same spots.

Instead of making a proper repair the first time, road crews continue to make quick patches that last a few weeks and then the potholes reappear. Then road crews come out to make a quick patch ... this process continues over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over !!

Add up the over-time and over time you will quickly see why municipalities are out of money!

STUPID - REALLY STUPID!! Instead of properly preparing the under-lying surface and applying the proper patch materials and bonding them to the adjoining surfaces they pull this stupid crap. Sure it's fast and cheap the first time ... but over time it's very expensive! I brought to the attention of my county administrator that one stretch of road (about 50 feet long) continually plagued by potholes had been patched 12 times in a 12 month period. And when I stopped to talk to the crew patching the road why they didn't do something to make the road repair more permanent - the response was, "It's all overtime, why should we?"

Can you ever wonder why taxpayers want these crooks to go to jail or the hangman's gallows ?????

Long story short, nothing happened after I brought this to the attention of local politicians ... but something did happen after I wrote a letter to the editor! The section of the road was repaved AND the County Administrator asked why I wrote the letter ... and didn't give them a chance to do the work.
When I reminded him I felt that waiting 8 months WAS enough time ... What if I held off paying my taxes that long?

Apologize for the rant - BTW, that pothole cost me a wheel and tire too! SO I feel like I paid twice - for sloppy road work and a repair to my car.
They do a shitty job repairing it and come back to do it again and again and again....guess what....provides job security for them.

Quick Reply: Potholes on LI