E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Potholes on LI

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 530i 06 ///M5

I dont know about everyone else in the NY area. But I have seen some of the meanest potholes in my life this year and so many! last night a block from my house I hit one on old country rd and bent my rim got a flat tire and there was a clicking from the front right when turning right so i think cv joint or axel was damaged as well. it was dark and the pot hole was filled with water so i didnt even see it coming. i went back this morning and find a cone in front of it warning people (guess the town found it a little too late for me!) This is gonna be such a pain and expensive! first time i've ever gotten a flat from a pot hole luckily i was a block from my house so i just drove home and parked it (no spare in the M).

any idea if the town will help at all with this repair bill ? (this happened in huntington) I have heard some people say I should write a letter to the town about it and might be able to get some reimbursement. anyone have any positive experiences or is that not worth my time?

Old 02-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Sorry to hear about your situation, dude.

Its about time the people of NY and NJ get together and put an end to the thieving bastards that are responsible for maintaining our roads! I am ready to friggin' revolt for real - all these "organizations" who receive our tax moneys and we still have to deal with this?! I think its completely unfair. Back in the day, when the U.S. was just coming to be this kind of sh!t was dealt with differently. But these days, we've gotten soft and all politically correct and all of a sudden its NOT ok to speak out against the fvcks that are in fact ROBBING us... :thumbsdown:

We should get our evidence together and file a class action against the municipality that distributes the funds for road maintenance IMHO
Old 02-28-2010, 12:45 PM
Contributors

That sux!

And if I look closely at your picture I see a situation that I have, numerous times, brought to the attention of my local road departments.

There are multiple patches in the same spots.

Instead of making a proper repair the first time, road crews continue to make quick patches that last a few weeks and then the potholes reappear. Then road crews come out to make a quick patch ... this process continues over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over !!

Add up the over-time and over time you will quickly see why municipalities are out of money!

STUPID - REALLY STUPID!! Instead of properly preparing the under-lying surface and applying the proper patch materials and bonding them to the adjoining surfaces they pull this stupid crap. Sure it's fast and cheap the first time ... but over time it's very expensive! I brought to the attention of my county administrator that one stretch of road (about 50 feet long) continually plagued by potholes had been patched 12 times in a 12 month period. And when I stopped to talk to the crew patching the road why they didn't do something to make the road repair more permanent - the response was, "It's all overtime, why should we?"

Can you ever wonder why taxpayers want these crooks to go to jail or the hangman's gallows ?????

Long story short, nothing happened after I brought this to the attention of local politicians ... but something did happen after I wrote a letter to the editor! The section of the road was repaved AND the County Administrator asked why I wrote the letter ... and didn't give them a chance to do the work.
When I reminded him I felt that waiting 8 months WAS enough time ... What if I held off paying my taxes that long?

Apologize for the rant - BTW, that pothole cost me a wheel and tire too! SO I feel like I paid twice - for sloppy road work and a repair to my car.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

thats exactly what they are doing, you should see the section further down the road its such a patch and repatch job. over 60 different pot holes easily that have been patched and repatched and just keep getting deeper and bigger year by year since they never repave the whole section!

I really think the CV joint or axle has been badly damaged since the car was making a clicking noise when turning right. that worries me more than the wheel/tire
Old 02-28-2010, 01:29 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by skunkd
thats exactly what they are doing, you should see the section further down the road its such a patch and repatch job. over 60 different pot holes easily that have been patched and repatched and just keep getting deeper and bigger year by year since they never repave the whole section!

I really think the CV joint or axle has been badly damaged since the car was making a clicking noise when turning right. that worries me more than the wheel/tire
These municipalities will continue this insanity unless they are TOLD TO WAKE UP! They actually think they have to save money by wasting money and foisting the cost of their sloppy work on the backs of taxpayers in the form of hidden taxes - think of your car damage as a TAX!!!

RAISE HELL - take pictures and write letters ... FCK these lazy crooked politicians and lazy sloppy workers ... they are all part of the problem!!!
Old 02-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Clicking noise from the front? It's RWD right? If that's the case I'm pretty sure there is no axle up front ... or did I miss somethin'?

Originally Posted by skunkd

Old 02-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Senior Members

yea its rear wheel drive but both front and rear wheels are bent (only front tire went flat), rears bent on the inside. i can't tell if the clicking was coming from the front or rear of the car since i drove home in a hurry since i was pissed.

def no axle in the front
Old 02-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

But the clicking noise is when making right turn? Since the rear not turning I think we can rule out it is the front ... must be somethin' touching only when turning.
Try to check and see if anything rub and clear it out to prevent any further damage ... just in case.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

true, im not thinking clearly! hmm so other than the tire what could be rubbing up front? or maybe its just the flat tire. well i'm bringing the rim to be repaired tomorrow so i'll get a tire mounted on it and then put it back on and see if there is any clicking noise. I jut got an alignment too prob gonna need a new one
Old 02-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

I've heard stories of people being reimbursed by the town/county for pothole damage. So it is possible...

Quick Reply: Potholes on LI