E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

One Day M School

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009 | 04:51 PM
Contributors

I went to Spartanburg , SC to the BMW Performance Center for a one day M driving school on September 29th. WOW what an amazing experience! I can?t believe how much fun that was ? floggin? (their) M cars all day long. This is a must-do for every M owner ... or for that matter, any BMW driver.

I was too busy having fun to take any photos, but there are loads of pics and great write-ups on other BMW forums. Here. Here. Here.

We drove the M3, M5, and M6 ? twice each for a total of six driving sessions. For all but one of the sessions, we were in the cars by ourselves with no instructor sitting next to you (the exception was on the wet skid-pad). On all of the other sessions our instructor lead us around the track in his car and demonstrated each of these exercises at amazing speeds ... in a 550i, which he made perform as if it was an M5!

First session was in the M6 in a braking exercise where you build up speed slowly through an off-camber left-hand sweeper (got sweaty palms right away) and then cranked it to 70+ mph before learning the meaning of ?standing on the brakes? in order to make a sharp left corner at 25 mph. It?s astounding how quickly and without any drama these brakes scrub off the speed, repeatedly.

Next up was the M3 in a short track loop that included a high-speed downhill corkscrew (more sweaty palms). That car is crazy toss-able, and the M-DCT tranny is very very quick. One of the instructors I talked to figures that the next generation M5 will have a version of the M-DCT.

Our morning concluded with the M5 on the wet skip-pad. Nothin? but giggles there doing power slides. Wheeeeee.

After a very nice lunch buffet, the afternoon began with the M3s in a timed short track loop (different than the morning). My fastest lap seemed like my slowest ? so the adage about ?go smooth to go fast? is so true. The lap timer stopped when you screamed to a stop inside of a ?box? marked by red cones. Once again, the brakes on these machines are amazing. I have to say that the M3 is stunning to drive - it sounds fantastic, grips like mad, and stops like it has claws. And it's so perfectly controllable that you feel as though you could make it do back-flips if only you asked.

The middle session in the afternoon was in the M6s on another wet skid-pad where we raced against each other going around the loop ? with all traction controls off. It's a great excersize to learn how to control both understeer and oversteer.

The final session was the best ? long track loop in the M5. The loop included a long downhill straight where you could hit 100 mph before jumping on the brakes HARD to make a 25 mph sharp left turn, and then dance the M5 through a series of turns and sweeps that really show what this beast is capable of. I had no idea it could take so much punishment, and yet so effortlessly remain calm, cool, and collected. My respect for the E60 M5 went up exponentially. What a car. What an experience.

I can honestly say that if I had never driven any of these M cars before, the M5 would be my pick. The performance envelopes of these 3 machines are so close that, to me, the M5 takes overall honors with great looks, plenty of space inside, luxury features galore, and then there was this ...

Just when I thought it was over and I had seen everything, the instructors loaded us all into the M5s for a hot lap. The speeds these guys so effortlessly attained on the same courses we just ran caused me to adjust my ?oh shit we are all gonna die? meter. At one point we were doing a power slide at 100 mph ? staring at the BMW facility going by sideways. We we squealing like school girls. I?m pretty sure all new tires were required after that lap.

BMW really runs a great show there. The instructors are not only astounding drivers in their own right, but they are great teachers and they make it totally fun. Yes, it is expensive ($1,295) but it's worth double that fee. This event should be on every BMW fans' to-do list. It's one of the best modifications you could ever put in your car ... a more experienced driver.

Then have a 2-day M school. Hmmmmm.
Old 10-01-2009 | 04:53 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Damn that sounds fun.
Old 10-01-2009 | 05:56 PM
Contributors

From: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

That is freaking AWESOME! Congrats!!
Old 10-02-2009 | 04:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 04 525i sport, premium, winter, xenon. xm satellite radio, navwithtv dvd system, 1 jl 10w7 sub powered by xtant 1001x amp. 20x8.5/10 on nitto nt555 rubber. acs roof and decklid spoiler, breyton front spoiler.

I really wanna do this in the spring. The price isn't really that bad either. Looks awesome. How long was it and how many people in the class?
Old 10-02-2009 | 08:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JOHN' post='1022891' date='Oct 2 2009, 07:04 AM
Looks awesome. How long was it and how many people in the class?
The one day school starts at 8:30 am with about 1 hour of classroom discussion. The rest of the day is all about driving! We got done at about 4:45pm and there is plenty of hard driving throughout the day.

It looks like they book about 16-18 students per class. For each of the six driving sessions there are 3 sets of cars (M3s, M5s, and M6s) ... with one instructor leading each group out to a specific part of the track. It's a very efficient set-up and you feel like you get plenty of instruction and plenty of seat time.
Old 10-02-2009 | 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

that is soo cool! correct me if im wrong but does bmw throw the driving school in for free sans airfare and accomodations, when u buy a brand new M3/M5/M6?
Old 10-02-2009 | 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Very nice write up Jeff! I know member CoolTones also went to the one day M school and he raves about it as well.
Old 10-02-2009 | 10:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i Alpine White with Navi and Premium PackageIn progress: OEM Mtech kit, H&R Sport Springs, and 19

Great freakin writeup man! Felt like I was there for a minute!
Old 10-03-2009 | 11:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Dinan 545i

Great write-up!
Old 10-03-2009 | 11:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530I Silver gray with gray leather with Premium Package, Logic 7 Premium sound system with Ipod interface, xenon adaptive headlights, Active steering, Power retractable rear sunshade, Comfort seats, Cold weather package and M5 OEM 166 wheels, Sprintbooster. Ceramic Tint all around, Bilstein Sports shocks with Eibach springs, Brake performance Rotors and Axxis ceramic pads.

Hmmm, brings back good memories of that track. Good write up

Quick Reply: One Day M School