E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 Vs. E55 test drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Originally Posted by MichiganM5' post='219604
Yes the new AMG 63 engine will be quite a treat for the AMG cars. They are predicting 500+ naturally aspirated http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Featu...rticleId=106510 Possible they will put this in an E55 late 2006 which would be a worthy adversary to the M5 engine. AMG said they are going away from superchargers due to weight. If my M5 takes to long to get here I might drive the new 63 AMG, but I bet the prices for that E63 will out the roof so I doubt Ill seriously buy it. Supposedly the 63 AMG engine was built from the ground up by AMG itself for the first time without Mercedes providing the block or any parts.
That's the same info I've come across about the new 6.3L V8, although I have my doubts regarding the sources. At any rate, I hope MB prices this competitively to keep the game fun.
Old 01-06-2006, 10:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

The E60 in any form is a head turner for me while the E55 is just another E which is to say it does not turn my head. Now the CLS55 is another story. A lot of the E55 attributes , but some + and i suppose - such as rear seat headroom.

While I know the difference between M5 from a 525 and anything in between, they all are stunning and unique, ahead of any other sedan out there. My circumstances let me focus on coupes, however, and there is no doubt where my heart is (and mind when it comes to that) - EEEEMMMMM6
Old 01-06-2006, 11:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cobradav' post='220119' date='Jan 6 2006, 02:27 PM
The E60 in any form is a head turner for me while the E55 is just another E which is to say it does not turn my head. Now the CLS55 is another story. A lot of the E55 attributes , but some + and i suppose - such as rear seat headroom.

While I know the difference between M5 from a 525 and anything in between, they all are stunning and unique, ahead of any other sedan out there. My circumstances let me focus on coupes, however, and there is no doubt where my heart is (and mind when it comes to that) - EEEEMMMMM6
The CLS has got to be one of the silliest car's I've ever seen. It is just as big and heavy as an E55, but with far less room. The back seat is cramped, and no headroom. Anyone over 5'11 will have to crouch back there. The window sills are so high that you can't rest your arm on the sill if you are a passenger. Visibility is poor. The interior of the E55 looks better IMO.

Basically the only advantage it has over the E55 is it looks better from the outside. Doesn't drive better or cost less. I just don't get it - if you want a coupe, then at least make one that's lighter and performs better.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by wolverine' post='220138

The CLS has got to be one of the silliest car's I've ever seen. It is just as big and heavy as an E55, but with far less room. The back seat is cramped, and no headroom. Anyone over 5'11 will have to crouch back there. The window sills are so high that you can't rest your arm on the sill if you are a passenger. Visibility is poor. The interior of the E55 looks better IMO.

Basically the only advantage it has over the E55 is it looks better from the outside. Doesn't drive better or cost less. I just don't get it - if you want a coupe, then at least make one that's lighter and performs better.
[/quote]
Oh, no argument from me over the CLS. Your right, it is only the exterior esthetic that gives the CLS any qualities at all for the MB brand over the E sedan
Old 01-06-2006, 12:30 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by wolverine' post='220138

[/quote]

Agreed. I love the outside design, but recently sat in one at the SF auto show. The interior feels much less spacious than an E55 (having owned one myself), and that's in the front seat. The back seat is a joke. Even though I tried to duck down, on both entering and exiting the car, I bumped my head. And once insde the back seat (I'm 6') you feel like you have to crouch so you don't hit your head. And they charge ~$10K premium for that...
Old 01-07-2006, 02:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by 700700' post='219147' date='Jan 4 2006, 06:51 PM
be very afraid

640bhp/1080nm...

anyways i think i should be the black ram.. ive driven the m5 and still think the e55 is better

but you have a Brabus! your car can't really be compared can it
Old 01-07-2006, 04:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JayEll' post='220454
be very afraid

640bhp/1080nm...

anyways i think i should be the black ram.. ive driven the m5 and still think the e55 is better

but you have a Brabus! your car can't really be compared can it
[/quote]

i wish it was mine, it belongs to Almudares me, i just got a vanilla 530bhp e55 on order
Old 01-07-2006, 06:34 AM
Senior Members

m5 and e55 can live together ... from an owner of the two
Attached Thumbnails M5 Vs. E55 test drive-0601_bmw_m5_01_900.jpg  
Old 01-07-2006, 06:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 130i, 265 HP, just serious extras

very nice pic, is that how you say goodbye to your wife when your off to work in the morning?
Old 01-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dude_in_germany' post='220520' date='Jan 7 2006, 03:50 PM
very nice pic, is that how you say goodbye to your wife when your off to work in the morning?

again not me boss this is of mbworld from POSSIBLY the only sensible guy out there that has both cars and appreciates both equally

Quick Reply: M5 Vs. E55 test drive