E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 Vs. E55 test drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pulled into a Mercedes dealership, because they had a M5 sitting on a display stand. I asked the sales guy if I could test drive it and he said yes! I could not believe he was going to let me test drive this beast. My local BMW dealership has a 1-2 year wait just to get one let alone test drive one! Any how I about crapped my pants and smiled the whole time. The sales guy didn't know to much about the car so I had to educate him on everything. I did 1 launch control and drove it to 130 mph. Handling and ride comfort was so smooth, I had no idea the M5 could ride so smooth. I was expecting M3 harshness but it was the opposite. Automatic mode was also very smooth as long as you did not try to gun it from 0mph. I walked away from the M5 with total respect. Used fully loaded M5 was 99995.00 US dollars in Las Vegas, so I said no thanks. M5 had 2000 miles on it. Apparently some guy bought it 4 months ago and traded it in for a CLS55.

So up next was the E55 I got one off the show room floor with 20 miles on it and the sales guy unbelievably let me test drive this beast. Off the bat the seating was not as in tune with you as the M5, the steering wheel was not as fat. Seats did not have the nice leg thigh extension. Roof line felt lower and more claustrophobic. The sales guy said drive it like you stole it and so I did. Acceleration was very fast but the gears were not as smooth to shift by the automatic like the M5. Steering was nice but not in tune like the M5 and cornering was a little labored not telepathic like the M5. Cabin seemed smaller although the appointments did make it seem more luxurious. I liked the I drive in the M5 much better than any other I drive I have tried in the 7 or pre- 06 550s. The old command style center of E55 was a joke it was so complicated and way to many buttons. I was one of the guys that ragged on the I-drive but after using the I-drive and comparing it to the old push buttons, I prefer the I drive. The E55 was not constantly begging you to push it. It just felt comfortable to accelerate hard and turning turns less aggresively, its still a great car but not sporty feeling. The M5 begged you to make the rear slide and push it harder and harder to see what you can get.

Anyhow I was going to get a 550 but after today I put a deposit for a M5. Its rare to ever get to test drive these two beauties back to back unless you were automotive press but I clearly see why the M5 wins in every magazine when it goes head to head with other super sedans. I always thought the magazines were being paid for their opinions but this time I agree with all the magazines. I know you guys that own M5s are saying tell me something I already don't know but for the rest of us envious people we will not have an opportunity to drive a M5 unless we know you guys. Any how awesome cars but the M5 is the winner. M5= Power with control. E55 = power with less control.
Old 01-03-2006, 05:46 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

nice do you have the specs u have on the car (color & options, mods if you are going for any) ?
Old 01-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks for the mini review TV550 (might need to change your name soon, eh?)

I was able to spend two days on the Indy F1 course with an E55 and each day I left the track in my 545i and said almost the same thing:
E55= power, less control
545i= less power, more control
Old 01-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

Nice post tv550. Nice choice!!
Old 01-04-2006, 12:36 AM
Senior Members

Thanks for the review TV550.

Nice to hear this from a " real " driver and not only from journalist or biased people like myself .

I think you should post this on a MB-board. Those guys don?t want to believe that the M5 is king of super sedans. They still hold on tight to their belief that the E55 is no1
Old 01-04-2006, 12:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

my man
MB
Old 01-04-2006, 07:14 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='218870' date='Jan 3 2006, 07:23 PM

I was able to spend two days on the Indy F1 course with an E55 and each day I left the track in my 545i and said almost the same thing:
E55= power, less control
Agreed, Rudy. I got a W211 E55 in 2003 and sold it after 4 months. Enjoy driving my 545i much more. Test drove E60 M5 a month ago and, of course, it's head and shoulders above the E55...except in the torque department!
Old 01-04-2006, 09:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by stream' post='219064

E55= power, less control
Agreed, Rudy. I got a W211 E55 in 2003 and sold it after 4 months. Enjoy driving my 545i much more. Test drove E60 M5 a month ago and, of course, it's head and shoulders above the E55...except in the torque department!
[/quote]

I didnt feel the torque difference between the M5 and the E55. I think its harder to launch the M5 initially but after 5mph up to 130mph the M5 felt like my head was pushed back more than the E55.

I am also a member of the E55 forums and those guys brag all day about beating M5s off the line. They really think the E55 is better and I know why. If you have never test drove the M5 personally you will never understand the power of the "dark side". I had my doubts about the M5 before my test drive based on magazines and hear say but one test drive made me a believer. E55 is by no means a bad car but its not engaging and perfected for sporty driving. I mean give me either one but for perfection in driving the M5 is it. None of the E55 owners in the forums have ever driven a M5 so I can see why they are one sided. If BMW would have more M5s for test drives at the dealership everyone would switch to the power of the dark side .

By the way what are you guys averaging for MPG during daily commutes minus spirited driving? I commute about 40 miles daily with mixed city and highway. The M5 I tested had 7 mpg after my test drive at that rate it would only have a 200 mile range. That would really suck to fill this beast up every 3 - 4 days due to time constraints.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:47 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by TV550' post='219142
Originally Posted by Rudy' post='218870' date='Jan 3 2006, 07:23 PM

E55= power, less control
I didnt feel the torque difference between the M5 and the E55. I think its harder to launch the M5 initially but after 5mph up to 130mph the M5 felt like my head was pushed back more than the E55.
[/quote]

I'm surprised--I found a big difference in low end torque. The gearing helps the M5, but there's still a difference.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

be very afraid

640bhp/1080nm...

anyways i think i should be the black ram.. ive driven the m5 and still think the e55 is better
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Movie_00013.WMV (1.00 MB, 98 views)

Quick Reply: M5 Vs. E55 test drive