E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

M5 sighting in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

Originally Posted by keith84_uk
I think its 200% tax on the import cars, so those guys can afford M5 in China means they can afford 2 ferraris in US.

M5 in china would costs around 350,000 USD after tax, i dont live in China so please correct me if i were wrong
Thank you, it is for this main reason that I feel that China is not near the US. The main reason they implement this tax (other than to get money) is that they don't like the idea of citizens having nicer cars than the government officials. It is the exact same way in Iran.

Lets be realistic, beside this great nation of ours where else could a 21 year old and even younger in some cases buy their own M5. I know for a fact that if my parents were still living in Iran there is no way I'd own my own...let alone an M5. I think we often times forget how lucky we have it here in the US.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

I think its 200% tax on the import cars, so those guys can afford M5 in China means they can afford 2 ferraris in US.

M5 in china would costs around 350,000 USD after tax, i dont live in China so please correct me if i were wrong
I dont think it's 200%. It's very similar to Hong Kong. Approximately 100% to 110% depending on the CC of the engine. Or do you mean 200% of the regular price of the car?

Originally Posted by BMWPower06
Thank you, it is for this main reason that I feel that China is not near the US. The main reason they implement this tax (other than to get money) is that they don't like the idea of citizens having nicer cars than the government officials. It is the exact same way in Iran.

Lets be realistic, beside this great nation of ours where else could a 21 year old and even younger in some cases buy their own M5. I know for a fact that if my parents were still living in Iran there is no way I'd own my own...let alone an M5. I think we often times forget how lucky we have it here in the US.
It's not like they dont like the idea of citizens having nicer cars than the govt. China produces cars. They want the citizens to purchase cars made in China to stimulate growth of the Chinese automobile industry. They have Audis, Hondas, Toyotas, VWs, factories etc in China and the prices are pretty competitive.

Hong Kong has HIGH import taxes on automobiles. Yes I agree the HK govt makes a decent amount. But guess what? Their income tax is VERY reasonable. If you single and make USD$200,000 live in NYC, prepare to get ROBBED! Hong Kong's income tax is approximately 16% to 17% FLAT! It's progressive but the highest is that. NO TAXES ON CAPITAL GAINS!!! Stamp Duty on property taxes. Geez. How come I didn't move back yet? LOL
Old 03-03-2010, 01:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by BMWPower06

How many people in US buy their own M5's at 21? Most 61 year olds finance or lease M5's - 21 year olds can't buy sh!t in the States - same like anywhere else. Sure, if you sell drugs since 14 or if you play ball. If you are a rapper or a performer, a prodigy of some sort. Maybe. MAY-be! But otherwise, a 21 yo wouldn't be able to buy an M5 in the States without help from his/her parents. I'm guessing that an overwhelming amount of 21 year olds wouldn't even be able to afford insurance on an M5, dude!

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
I dont think it's 200%. It's very similar to Hong Kong. Approximately 100% to 110% depending on the CC of the engine. Or do you mean 200% of the regular price of the car?

It's not like they dont like the idea of citizens having nicer cars than the govt. China produces cars. They want the citizens to purchase cars made in China to stimulate growth of the Chinese automobile industry. They have Audis, Hondas, Toyotas, VWs, factories etc in China and the prices are pretty competitive.

Hong Kong has HIGH import taxes on automobiles. Yes I agree the HK govt makes a decent amount. But guess what? Their income tax is VERY reasonable. If you single and make USD$200,000 live in NYC, prepare to get ROBBED! Hong Kong's income tax is approximately 16% to 17% FLAT! It's progressive but the highest is that. NO TAXES ON CAPITAL GAINS!!! Stamp Duty on property taxes. Geez. How come I didn't move back yet? LOL
Russia is 13%, so what? No laws, basically. No infrastructure. If you drive 100 miles outside a major city, its like 19th century over there.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 SMG Interlagos Blue Silverstone II Full Merino Perforated w/ Individual Piano Black Trim All options except for fold down rear seats 1330 miles 02/12/10 2008 E92 DCT M3 Arctic White Silver Novillo Extended w/ Carbon Fiber Trim Pretty much all options 10k miles 09/09 135 E82 Black Sapphire Metallic Coral Red w/ Gloss Black Trim Pretty much all options 7k miles 09/09

FWIW -

I don't see how the first few posts make the direct or indirect claim that China is "better" than the United States.

To my read they simply state that right now the country is booming, both economically and politically. It is in a phase of rapid development, based upon political adjustments internal and international, economic conditions involving internal growth and world stagnation, and social changes that look good in large part due to the Olympic activities. Contrast this to the rest of the world - including the US - and it's an attractive country right now.

That will change. These things run in cycles. Over the long run the US has shown the greatest ability to reorganize itself and push forward and regain its preeminent stature. I expect our current downturn to be the same - the US will again be the world model. (But it HAS to get its economic and financial affairs in order quickly. We have spent so much money in the past decade without corresponding revenue that even a huge boom like the 1990's is not sufficient to keep us afloat.)

As to "better" ... some would say that judgment is in the eye of the beholder. But I don't think there's a viable argument that any leading country is equal to the moral and philosophical foundation that anchors the United States. Regardless of what we do on a daily basis we always circle around to 1776 and the subsequent Constitution. There's very little like that over the past two hundred years, and certainly China doesn't operate with the need to honor "self evident" principles. At its basis the US is better.

But I didn't see a qualitative evaluation and conclusion like that in the posts.

Wow, this got long. I need to get in my M5 and 670 SV and get some air.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by hlmiii
FWIW -

I don't see how the first few posts make the direct or indirect claim that China is "better" than the United States.

To my read they simply state that right now the country is booming, both economically and politically. It is in a phase of rapid development, based upon political adjustments internal and international, economic conditions involving internal growth and world stagnation, and social changes that look good in large part due to the Olympic activities. Contrast this to the rest of the world - including the US - and it's an attractive country right now.

That will change. These things run in cycles. Over the long run the US has shown the greatest ability to reorganize itself and push forward and regain its preeminent stature. I expect our current downturn to be the same - the US will again be the world model. (But it HAS to get its economic and financial affairs in order quickly. We have spent so much money in the past decade without corresponding revenue that even a huge boom like the 1990's is not sufficient to keep us afloat.)

As to "better" ... some would say that judgment is in the eye of the beholder. But I don't think there's a viable argument that any leading country is equal to the moral and philosophical foundation that anchors the United States. Regardless of what we do on a daily basis we always circle around to 1776 and the subsequent Constitution. There's very little like that over the past two hundred years, and certainly China doesn't operate with the need to honor "self evident" principles. At its basis the US is better.

But I didn't see a qualitative evaluation and conclusion like that in the posts.

Wow, this got long. I need to get in my M5 and 670 SV and get some air.
Agreed. But I'd say give China approximately another 40 years and it'll be different. It's a large country with the world's largest population. It needs time to get everything together. At this current time, US is still better in many ways. I visited China not long time when I went back to Hong Kong and I was shocked. Shocked in 2 ways. The rural areas are still outdated but once you get into the city of Shanghai, I asked myself if it feels different than I was in Hong Kong. I still love Hong Kong and there's no where else I want to live besides Hong Kong. But China has definitely changed dramatically within the past 10 years and it will change exponentially in the next 40 years.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 SMG Interlagos Blue Silverstone II Full Merino Perforated w/ Individual Piano Black Trim All options except for fold down rear seats 1330 miles 02/12/10 2008 E92 DCT M3 Arctic White Silver Novillo Extended w/ Carbon Fiber Trim Pretty much all options 10k miles 09/09 135 E82 Black Sapphire Metallic Coral Red w/ Gloss Black Trim Pretty much all options 7k miles 09/09

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
I'd say give China approximately another 40 years and it'll be different. ... it will change exponentially in the next 40 years.
In what way are you speaking? In its political operations? Its current economic status? Its current (apparent) opening up to world?
Interesting post.
Thanks for reading mine BTW ...
Old 03-04-2010, 05:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 530i , Silver with leather Air Con iDrive 17" Breyton Rims with Dunlop Sp Sport tyres (M-Tech Bodykit and rims WANTED) Alfa Romeo 147 TS1.6 , Black with Air Con 17" Multi Spoke alloys with Bridgestone RE040 tyres Toyota MR-S 1.8 VVTI , Lagoon Blue with Red leather Air Con 15" standard alloys with Toyo tyres Toyota Celica 1.8 VVTI, Lagoon Blue, Air Con, 16" Standard alloys with Kuhmo KU31, EBC Green Stuff

Originally Posted by hlmiii
In what way are you speaking? In its political operations? Its current economic status? Its current (apparent) opening up to world?
Interesting post.
Thanks for reading mine BTW ...
The economy telling you, China is growing dramatically in the past 10 years,
it will overtake Japan soon as the second largest economy in the world,

US still the largest, wealthiest country in the world, no doubt!
But if you think China is still like 10 years ago, think again
Old 03-04-2010, 07:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 M5 (E60) Interlagos blue, Silverstone interior, with cold weather package. Adaptive Xenon headlamps and adaptive brake lights, hud, comfort access. Comfort seats, basically fully loaded.

Holy Crap...
You guys have some time to kill fighting about countries. Interesting posts though.. i enjoyed em.. I live here in NYC, my colleagues run businesses in China, (Shanghai, Yiwu and Shenzen). I've been there couple times. Yes you have to step outta the mold to see what else is out there. China is rapidly growing and we all acknowledge that, we're in debt to China and the world knows that, but dun be oblivious to the fact that America owns lots of companies in China as well as all over the world. United States is a great country but the step taken by the government recently for its own political gains were just so WRONG, that we're struggling. If the US dun change anything and keep tryna run the world like the World Police then no doubt in my mind that China is gonna overtake the US in next couple decades. I think it really matters on how hard the Nation is working towards it growth and upkeep? Lets see only the future will tell us. God Bless America.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:17 AM
lim
Senior Members

My Ride: e60

The economy telling you, China is growing dramatically in the past 10 years,
it will overtake Japan soon as the second largest economy in the world,
It already is the 2nd largest economy
Old 03-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Members

Keith I think you might be misunderstanding me, or me you.
I definitely think China is on a huge roll - economically, sociologically, and internationally - and has been for several years. The Olympics were (simply) visible confirmation of that, on view for the world.

What I was trying to say is that during the next long-term cycle history would confidently predict that the US will rebound from its current low point (and at that we're in better shape than most of the world). The US has at the least always shown the flexibility and ingenuity to quickly adapt and push forward faster than any other major state. China's test will be to see if it can sustain its strength - it takes a certain political system, resource reserves, and philosophical temper to continue the proper dynamics. It'll be interesting to see.

Quick Reply: M5 sighting in Shanghai