E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

I am actually considering this

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:34 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by laidback
Iirc the rear fenders were cut to install the Hamann widebody fenders, if thats the case theres no going back to stock...Unless they opted just to install it ontop of the existing fenders

Then that and the fact that the body kit is pretty ugly IMHO is a good reason for the price being so low. Still worth consideration.
So Chris, does the M5 have the same 4yr/50k new car warranty as other 5ers? If so this one should still be under it, again, depending on in service date.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MI55LE
it's just me, I'd guess, but I would never consider a modded-out car - says too much (to me) about the owner
You've got me curious. What about the owner does it say to you?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by west
You've got me curious. What about the owner does it say to you?

+1000 I was thinking the same thing, especially considering the user population of this forum is vastly modders
Old 12-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll notice that I said "in my opinion"

oh, and it says to me

"don't buy that car"
Old 12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Senior Members

Yes bradah, it still has the manufacturers warranty and you can extend it if you wish but do it before the original warranty expires...the hamann kit is cool imo on certain color ie. Black...Max size lip on the rear wheels is 5 iirc

Originally Posted by pjinca
Then that and the fact that the body kit is pretty ugly IMHO is a good reason for the price being so low. Still worth consideration.
So Chris, does the M5 have the same 4yr/50k new car warranty as other 5ers? If so this one should still be under it, again, depending on in service date.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by MI55LE
you'll notice that I said "in my opinion"

oh, and it says to me

"don't buy that car"

I can agree, at times a highly modded car can have major downsides. Then there are cars like laidback's (Chris'), whoever gets that car when he moves on will get essentially a pampered show car that has been lovingly taken care of, not exactly a draw back to me.
The biggest knock on modded cars is that when you mod a car and then try to sell it you have to find someone with the exact same taste as you to get maximum money for it, which isn't likely. I think that is why this car is selling for well below market for a 2008 M5, I don't like the bodykit but for an M5 at that price it's worth taking a look at.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

IMO, buying a used modded car may imply that it was driven hard, possibly even tracked (especially if it were performance mods). But then again, who buys an M5 to drive like a granny.

Price seems to good to be true. But if you do your homework and everything checks out.....
Old 12-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Kaizen
IMO, buying a used modded car may imply that it was driven hard, possibly even tracked (especially if it were performance mods). But then again, who buys an M5 to drive like a granny.

Price seems to good to be true. But if you do your homework and everything checks out.....
My thoughts exactly
Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

this car is a scam...there are a few out here esp on cars.com

while i was searching nationwide for my ///M i came across a really nice alpine white M5 as well as this modded one here....there are about 5 more in addition. the description is really short or somewhat off and the contact info is just a name and you have to email the person....once you email them they launch into some cockamamy story about the car being in storage....or its their ex husbands car but they moved back with their parents so the car is in another state.....but rest assure if you send payment via the internet....they will have the car shipped to you. i even asked one lady, hey ill bring cash or a chashiers check but i must see the car in person.....she said "NO" i am only shipping the car...no one can see it. lol

long story short, be careful. there are no crazy deals out here....if its too good to be true it is
Old 12-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by umichchris
this car is a scam...there are a few out here esp on cars.com

while i was searching nationwide for my ///M i came across a really nice alpine white M5 as well as this modded one here....there are about 5 more in addition. the description is really short or somewhat off and the contact info is just a name and you have to email the person....once you email them they launch into some cockamamy story about the car being in storage....or its their ex husbands car but they moved back with their parents so the car is in another state.....but rest assure if you send payment via the internet....they will have the car shipped to you. i even asked one lady, hey ill bring cash or a chashiers check but i must see the car in person.....she said "NO" i am only shipping the car...no one can see it. lol

long story short, be careful. there are no crazy deals out here....if its too good to be true it is

I figured, but it was worth a shot, LOL. There are actually several M5's near $30k now, which is why I was looking (also, you got a great deal so you kind of tempted me to do a search). I am still looking at keeping my car at least until summer, unless an amazing deal for an M5 comes around.