E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

FlyM5 GTR vs fastdad M5

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 (Sepang Bronze/Natural Brown) Eisenmann Exhaust with Miesterchaft Sections 1 & 2 Evosport Headers Evosport Pulley RPi Scoops & Block Off Plates with BMC Filters Eibach Pro-Kit Springs 20" Breyton Race CS in Polished Silver

Originally Posted by Aartsy19
For this price, you might as well throw in a little more cake for the ZR1... now thats a car whose preformace vs price should be admired!!
Took the words right out of my mouth! That Nissan is the most over priced POS I have ever come aross.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by designo
Took the words right out of my mouth! That Nissan is the most over priced POS I have ever come aross.
I can't agree with you on this. If there is a car for $85K or less that offers better performance than the GTR, I am not aware of it. In the video, Tom's GTR pulled away from Fastdad's highly modded M5 like it wasn't even moving. To call a car that can do that for $85k an overpriced POS is to ignore the facts. Not everything made in the land of the Rising Sun is a POS (although the GTR could use some flyer styling IMHO).
Old 05-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by sdg1871
I can't agree with you on this. If there is a car for $85K or less that offers better performance than the GTR, I am not aware of it. In the video, Tom's GTR pulled away from Fastdad's highly modded M5 like it wasn't even moving. To call a car that can do that for $85k an overpriced POS is to ignore the facts. Not everything made in the land of the Rising Sun is a POS (although the GTR could use some flyer styling IMHO).
Not sure if you saw the first post but Tom's GTR is also modded.
Old 05-08-2010, 01:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Not sure if you saw the first post but Tom's GTR is also modded.
Yes, I do know that. But even bone stock, the GTR is extremely fast with very strong grip and will outrun just about everything on the road at or below its price point (although it should be neck and neck with a Vette Z06). I've run in the twisties at full tilt with a GTR and it was very impressive. Quite a great performance value for $85k. Maybe some of our members don't like Japanese cars but calling it a "POS" is every bit as inaccurate as the statement by the member who foolishly insinuated that RPI was a Mickey Mouse operation.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 //M5 AW smg

Yes, I do know that. But even bone stock, the GTR is extremely fast with very strong grip and will outrun just about everything on the road at or below its price point (although it should be neck and neck with a Vette Z06). I've run in the twisties at full tilt with a GTR and it was very impressive. Quite a great performance value for $85k. Maybe some of our members don't like Japanese cars but calling it a "POS" is every bit as inaccurate as the statement by the member who foolishly insinuated that RPI was a Mickey Mouse operation.
+1 100%. When it first came out i thought it was an overpriced Jap car. Then i started looking into it and reading about the car and the technology it has and went to drive the car and fell in love with it. IMO for $85k you will not find a better sports car then the GTR. It is not a fair to compare with a M5 as it's a sports sedan. GTR is a true sports car
that the competetion at double the price has a tough time hanging with. Yes the Vette ZR1 is fast but i would never buy one as i hate the looks of the Vette.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 E60 M5 (Sepang Bronze/Natural Brown) Eisenmann Exhaust with Miesterchaft Sections 1 & 2 Evosport Headers Evosport Pulley RPi Scoops & Block Off Plates with BMC Filters Eibach Pro-Kit Springs 20" Breyton Race CS in Polished Silver

A stock GTR is not fast, it may be quick but it runs out of breath as quick as my 2 minute quickie! Also, a vette Z06 is the best bang for the buck and that is beyone any reasonable doubt! It will not only hold its ground against this POS, but will swallow it whole as the speeds build up!

I don't talk out of my a$$, I invested time and money in this car only to be bitten by it's realibility issues! I though the SMGH was bad, but this POS has a tranny to go with it!!! I sold it 4 weeks later. Someone once did tell me though, that GTR's are only good for one thing!!! RICE PACKAGES!!!!

Old 05-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by designo
A stock GTR is not fast, it may be quick but it runs out of breath as quick as my 2 minute quickie! Also, a vette Z06 is the best bang for the buck and that is beyone any reasonable doubt! It will not only hold its ground against this POS, but will swallow it whole as the speeds build up!

I don't talk out of my a$$, I invested time and money in this car only to be bitten by it's realibility issues! I though the SMGH was bad, but this POS has a tranny to go with it!!! I sold it 4 weeks later. Someone once did tell me though, that GTR's are only good for one thing!!! RICE PACKAGES!!!!
Did you have a 2008 model and suffer transmission failure as a result of repeated usage of launch control? I know that that was a huge issue causing a rash of transmission failures in the 2008 model that, as a result, caused Nissan to make launch control significantly less aggressive in the 2009 and onward models. No question that the GTR gets off the line faster than Z06 but that as speeds built to hyper-velocities, the Z06 will catch and pass the GTR. Unfortunately, there are not many places to safely and legally drive at those kinds of speeds in the US (other than the racetrack or drag strip of course). For everyday real world driving in the US, the GTR is quicker than the Z06.

I happen to love renting Corvettes. They are fast and powerful and have tenacious grip. But I could never live with their econo-box level seats and interior. Sort of like shagging the town slut. She might feel good and know what she's doing but would you feel satisfied living with -- or marrying her in the long term? That's my generally feeling about Vettes.

Quite sorry to hear that you had so much trouble with your GTR.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:47 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I'm a European car fan (yeah really ) but I love both the GTR and the Vette and completely respect them for the power and agility they have, regardless of price.

That's one sick looking GTR you had there Ahmed. Too bad things didn't work out with that car for you.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:53 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
I'm a European car fan (yeah really ) but I love both the GTR and the Vette and completely respect them for the power and agility they have, regardless of price.

That's one sick looking GTR you had there Ahmed. Too bad things didn't work out with that car for you.
Yes it sure was a beauty.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

The GTR I posted is not mine, belongs to a dear friend of mine! Let's just say he's not too happy with it either, even with an HKS GT600 kit! He now owns a ZR1 and wished he never sold his Z06!

As for me, I believe it takes a few bad mistakes to finally realise you made the good right decision! And I am happy!!!! You want a sports car? You don't need to look no further boys!

Quick Reply: FlyM5 GTR vs fastdad M5