E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Do you think the new M5 is the fastest Big Saloon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by IrishEyes' date='Oct 19 2005, 01:07 PM

You just have to laugh.

Why is everybody getting so upset. Just because an M5 lost a particular round by a value that is barely measurable on a wrist watch.?
1.6 seconds is very measurable when it comes to cars. 1.6 seconds seperates the first from the last in the qualification times of the 20 cars that participate in a WTCC race (world touring car championship, where the max horsepower is 273 hp ). In a race consisting of 20 laps, 1.6 seconds per lap would mean that that a faster car will lead by 32 seconds, which will result in a difference of more than 1 km of distance.

There are some cars that are more tuned (suited) to road rather than the track and display different performance characteristics in each environment. On normal road driving, the M5 would probably better acquaint itself. And possibly over teh QP.
True. EVO found the QP to be a little bit on the firm side. Maybe that is why it suits the track better.

From a looks point of view, the Maserati certainly puts the E60 in the shade. The M5 does look ordinary. Bodykit nothwithstanding. There is a cartain flair that the Italians seem to be able to capture that for some reason eludes other manufacturers.?
I agreee that the QP is better looking, but I never expected it to be better handling.

Finally, I think some people are getting too carried away especially when an M5 is not even on their shopping list.
This is a very good point. Some people are defending the M5 just because they bought an E60. Some members even did not read the article and are concluding that EVO must be wrong to claim something that contradicts with what they would like to hear, or to what they have perceived in their minds.

Personally, neither the M5 nor the QP are currently on my shopping list, but I always wanted an M5. Now I am not sure about that anymore.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Oct 19 2005, 03:38 PM
[quote name='IrishEyes' date='Oct 19 2005, 01:07 PM']

You just have to laugh.

Why is everybody getting so upset. Just because an M5 lost a particular round by a value that is barely measurable on a wrist watch.?
1.6 seconds is very measurable when it comes to cars. 1.6 seconds seperates the first from the last in the qualification times of the 20 cars that participate in a WTCC race (world touring car championship, where the max horsepower is 273 hp ). In a race consisting of 20 laps, 1.6 seconds per lap would mean that that a faster car will lead by 32 seconds, which will result in a difference of more than 1 km of distance.

[/quote]

To a BTCC or saloon car race driver, on a race track, I would think he would give his right (rude body part) to have 1.6 sec per lap advantage over his/her competitors. I agree, 1.6 seconds is a huge advantage.

However, we are basically talking about cars that 99.99% of owners will spend 99.99% of their time on public roadways. I don't think the normal Joe Public is really gonna notice the same 1.6 sec advantage only to be lost by missing the next set of traffic lights or chicanes in the way of speed bumps. That plus the fact (as u mentioned) that there are some E60 owners that seem to have take umbridge to the fact that there MAY possibly a faster cars out there.

Old 10-19-2005, 08:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Oct 19 2005, 09:38 AM
[quote name='IrishEyes' date='Oct 19 2005, 01:07 PM']

You just have to laugh.

There are some cars that are more tuned (suited) to road rather than the track and display different performance characteristics in each environment. On normal road driving, the M5 would probably better acquaint itself. And possibly over teh QP.
True. EVO found the QP to be a little bit on the firm side. Maybe that is why it suits the track better.

From a looks point of view, the Maserati certainly puts the E60 in the shade. The M5 does look ordinary. Bodykit nothwithstanding. There is a cartain flair that the Italians seem to be able to capture that for some reason eludes other manufacturers.??
I agreee that the QP is better looking, but I never expected it to be better handling.

Finally, I think some people are getting too carried away especially when an M5 is not even on their shopping list.
This is a very good point. Some people are defending the M5 just because they bought an E60. Some members even did not read the article and are concluding that EVO must be wrong to claim something that contradicts with what they would like to hear, or to what they have perceived in their minds.

Personally, neither the M5 nor the QP are currently on my shopping list, but I always wanted an M5. Now I am not sure about that anymore.
[snapback]186125[/snapback]
[/quote]
Ok! The qo is the faster car, the better car overall the best handling...whatever you want...
I have never driven a qp but i have driven the m5.
And shish...what did u expect? it's a bmw forum? From what i know bmw has alot of supporters and fans all over the world...just like ferarri but imo more than ferarri. Not everyone can afford a ferarri but many people can afford a bmw even a less performer model. You should know that coming and posting to the best bmw forum (imo) there will be alot of strong support for the bmw m5. logic is at my side also...so you are trying to show us that a car mag that you love and have confidence in it has got the facts right...and the figures for the cars are a non sense when it comes to track-times. Yeah if you would post that information on a ferarri/masserati forum they will all applaud but here is smth else.

Anyway i will try to find alot more info to simply take into considerations other sources that tested the m5 or the masserati coupe or qp or whatever.

The qp handels better than the m5...the extra kilos are erased by the excelent chassi and tires. Amen
Old 10-19-2005, 09:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

I'm sorry I haven't read the article yet, but isn't the QP's engine mounted further back in the chasis, resulting in a "front-mid-engined" layout? Similar to the layout of a 612 Scaglietti. The 612 is known to have AMAZING handling for a car of its type.

If so, that would certainly be an advantage in handling and could help explain why it is faster around a track than an M5.

A Boxster S is faster than a 911 Carrera around some race tracks simply because of where the engine is mounted, even though the Carrera has an equal, if not better, power-to-weight ratio.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

qp great car - but even IF it were faster I couldn't bring myself to buy one over an M5.

also, just to add, the B5 is not a 550 bored out .. it's a reworked 545 with a new breed of supercharger.
according to a few tests, faster straight line than an M5. but not built for the track like M.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 M5/SMG (LCI) Interlagos Blue/Black Merino Aux input, sun protection glass, Bluetooth, Voice control

Originally Posted by JayEll' date='Oct 19 2005, 07:53 PM
qp great car - but even IF it were faster I couldn't bring myself to buy one over an M5.

also, just to add, the B5 is not a 550 bored out .. it's a reworked 545 with a new breed of supercharger.
according to? a few tests, faster straight line than an M5. but not built for the track like M.
[snapback]186253[/snapback]

interesting article
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
en1120198151M5vsB5_en.pdf (511.0 KB, 143 views)
Old 10-19-2005, 01:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

I would be very proud to own any one of the M5, B5 or Quattroporte. All wonderful cars. The performance from all would be awesome, and for someone like me that never takes cars to a track the whole 10/10th's thing is redundant. Make it look good, make it fast, and I'm happy. Between the M5 and B5, I would probably prefer the the B5 just for the real world benefits. But as I said, any would do!!!
Old 10-19-2005, 01:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by JayEll' date='Oct 19 2005, 03:19 PM
[quote name='JayEll' date='Oct 19 2005, 07:53 PM']qp great car - but even IF it were faster I couldn't bring myself to buy one over an M5.

according to? a few tests, faster straight line than an M5. but not built for the track like M.

interesting article
[snapback]186267[/snapback]
[/quote]
I agree.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 19 2005, 04:24 PM
[quote name='JayEll' date='Oct 19 2005, 03:19 PM'][quote name='JayEll' date='Oct 19 2005, 07:53 PM']qp great car - but even IF it were faster I couldn't bring myself to buy one over an M5.

interesting article
[snapback]186267[/snapback]
[/quote]
I agree.
[snapback]186298[/snapback]
[/quote]
Here's another interesting one. Make mine an Alpina B5 please. Alpina B5 Test--Compared to M5 and others.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:32 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Three Skandinavia mag made sports car test in Knutstorp race track in Sweden.

Ford GT 1.12,9

Ferrari F430 F1 1.13,4

911 Carrera S 1.13,4

Maserati GRANDSPORT 1.15,4 (sorry no QP)

Corvette 1.16,3

M5 and M6 1.17,2

CTS-V 1.17,4

BMW 330i 1.18,5

Mustang GT 1.19,5

Skaffa

Quick Reply: Do you think the new M5 is the fastest Big Saloon?