E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Do you think the new M5 is the fastest Big Saloon?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 06:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its only the bedford track. every track has a characteristic that may just suit different cars. go to nardo n i bet a delimit m5 will win hands down...its just that diff cars suit diff tracks
Old 10-18-2005, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Simple1' date='Oct 18 2005, 02:20 PM
that's impossible! the SL600 faster than the m5?? lmao ? ? and then the? Maserati, tell those magazine editors to stop taking drugs.? The sl600 is barely faster than sl55 if even faster @ all and the M5 smokes the sl55! go check m5board's video's the m5 is smacking porsche who weight almost 400 pounds less with 450 horses.? The maserati is a nice car, in fact a great car! that I absolutely love but there is a huge mistakes in saying it's faster than the M5! I also read that same article you speak from M5board I'll get the article and no where did they pick it over the M5 it was basically a comparison with the Alpina B5, Maserati & Caddilac.? and what was stated was that the maserati mixed performance & comfort better than the rest!
[snapback]185681[/snapback]
I agree, there is something very very wrong here
Old 10-18-2005, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 335i Sedan

laptimes around Hockenheim.
1:16.7 --- 122.034 km/h - BMW M5
1:19.0 --- 118.481 km/h ? Alpina-BMW B5
1:17.6 --- 120.619 km/h ? Mercedes E55 AMG
I mean I want to see the QP on this track too I'm just stunned @ this development!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:06 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Well the QP (and recent Maser's) was engineered by some company called "Ferrari", wasn't it? I think they have had some experience with racing and how to set up a car properly...

Seriously, a lot of videos and on-track review of the M5 show the M5 drifting badly through the corners, even when the driver is in M mode, trying to get a fast lap time and NOT trying to show off. A smooth lap = a fast lap, but the M5 just isn't that smooth in the corners, for some reason. Perhaps it has to do with a lack of grip...
Old 10-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Oct 18 2005, 05:24 PM
[quote name='Simple1' date='Oct 18 2005, 02:20 PM']that's impossible! the SL600 faster than the m5?? lmao ? ? and then the? Maserati, tell those magazine editors to stop taking drugs.? The sl600 is barely faster than sl55 if even faster @ all and the M5 smokes the sl55! go check m5board's video's the m5 is smacking porsche who weight almost 400 pounds less with 450 horses.? The maserati is a nice car, in fact a great car! that I absolutely love but there is a huge mistakes in saying it's faster than the M5! I also read that same article you speak from M5board I'll get the article and no where did they pick it over the M5 it was basically a comparison with the Alpina B5, Maserati & Caddilac.? and what was stated was that the maserati mixed performance & comfort better than the rest!
[snapback]185681[/snapback]
I agree, there is something very very wrong here
[snapback]185684[/snapback]
[/quote]

I see that Simple1 wrote something that was then quoted by Browellm, then Simple1 decided to erase it after he read the article in Evo.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:17 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Simple1,

Thanks for posting the article.

Guys,

As you can see at the end of the article, the editors state clearly that the Quattroporte is faster across the Bedford Autodrome than the M5!
Old 10-18-2005, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530 black/black '05 Porsche Cayene S Black/gold 05' BMW M5 05' Bentley CGT

Cant believe what im hearing!! :thumbsdown:
m5 shouldnt lose to a qp.It could be the driver or the track
Yeah i heard that the QP got some transmision problems
Old 10-18-2005, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' date='Oct 18 2005, 08:06 PM
Well the QP (and recent Maser's) was engineered by some company called "Ferrari", wasn't it? I think they have had some experience with racing and how to set up a car properly...

Seriously, a lot of videos and on-track review of the M5 show the M5 drifting badly through the corners, even when the driver is in M mode, trying to get a fast lap time and NOT trying to show off. A smooth lap = a fast lap, but the M5 just isn't that smooth in the corners, for some reason. Perhaps it has to do with a lack of grip...
[snapback]185757[/snapback]
I agree with you. That is what I meant when I first said that the M5 doesn't appear to handle well. The car seems to suffer from its weight in corners where it drifts off the racing line badly.

This appears clearly in the Bedford Autodrome due to the presence of two hairpins and fairly complicated curves. They state at the end of the article that although the M5 is a faster dragster, it just could not match the handling of the QP.

And as you said, maybe Ferrari has something to do with the QP's handling .
Old 10-18-2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

Angry

Originally Posted by Shebs' date='Oct 18 2005, 12:28 PM
[quote name='jet190rs' date='Oct 18 2005, 08:06 PM']Well the QP (and recent Maser's) was engineered by some company called "Ferrari", wasn't it? I think they have had some experience with racing and how to set up a car properly...

I agree with you. That is what I meant when I first said that the M5 doesn't appear to handle well. The car seems to suffer from its weight in corners where it drifts off the racing line badly.

This appears clearly in the Bedford Autodrome due to the presence of two hairpins and fairly complicated curves. They state at the end of the article that although the M5 is a faster dragster, it just could not match the handling of the QP.

[snapback]185766[/snapback]
[/quote]
Bullls***t!

Give me that m5 now....I'l try asap to get the times from top gear....need to check alot more resources.

COME ON PPL...DON'T BELIVE IN AN INSTANT WHAT A MAG SAYS!!!!

I feel so offended what i hear that a qp is faster than the best saloon in the world. Not directly by u shebs...by the news...IT'S SIMPLY UNTRUE.
The logic defines that the m5 would smoke all day long on every track on every twist the qp.

I think i'm gonna be sick. The ferarri f 430 if i recall was fater than the m5 at top gear (1.22,9 vs 1.26,2) and u simply cannot compare the performance of the 430 with the qp. LOL It will start to keep up with the f430 and the evo fq 400.

Pls let's be serious...

Those journailst or the drivers either went on drugs when they tested the m5 or they went for smth else.... :thumbsdown:
Old 10-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' date='Oct 18 2005, 01:17 PM
[quote name='Shebs' date='Oct 18 2005, 12:28 PM'][quote name='jet190rs' date='Oct 18 2005, 08:06 PM']Well the QP (and recent Maser's) was engineered by some company called "Ferrari", wasn't it? I think they have had some experience with racing and how to set up a car properly...

[snapback]185766[/snapback]
[/quote]
Bullls***t!

Give me that m5 now....I'l try asap to get the times from top gear....need to check alot more resources.

COME ON PPL...DON'T BELIVE IN AN INSTANT WHAT A MAG SAYS!!!!

I feel so offended what i hear that a qp is faster than the best saloon in the world. Not directly by u shebs...by the news...IT'S SIMPLY UNTRUE.
The logic defines that the m5 would smoke all day long on every track on every twist the qp.

I think i'm gonna be sick. The ferarri f 430 if i recall was fater than the m5 at top gear (1.22,9 vs 1.26,2) and u simply cannot compare the performance of the 430 with the qp. LOL It will start to keep up with the f430 and the evo fq 400.

Pls let's be serious...

Those journailst or the drivers either went on drugs when they tested the m5 or they went for smth else.... :thumbsdown:
[snapback]185784[/snapback]
[/quote]

Geez - chill man. You might really hurt yourself when the RS6 comes out.

Quick Reply: Do you think the new M5 is the fastest Big Saloon?