E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

CANADIANS: Ext. Warranty for 06 M5

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2010 | 11:46 AM
Senior Members

Hey all,

Just got off the phone with my BMW Dealer and this is what they have to offer. I called Global Warranty directly to try and get a detail of what is included and what isnt.. but they were useless and pointed me to thier website.

To qualify for the 7 Star warranty(becuase my car is a previous US vehicle), there is a $430.00 surcharge plus taxes, so the Warranty price is $ 4,229.00 plus applicable taxes with a $150.00 deductible for an additional 2 years or 40,000kms.

To qualify for the 5 Stat warranty(becuase my car is a previous US vehicle), there is a $ 300.00 surcharge plus taxes, so the warranty price is $ 4,059.00 plus applicable taxes with a $0 deductible for 3yrs or 60,000kms or $ 3,699.00 plus applicable taxes for $ 100 deductible.

Find the details of thier warranties here: www.globalwarranty.com

Let me know what you think... personally i think 5 g's for the aftermarket warranty is fucking insane. They reserve the right to find used products they said, which kind of scares me too. FYI: i was looking into this warranty mostly because i heard the CLutch's on these m5's go relatively quickly (before 50,000kms) and are pricey.. but from my understanding... would not be included in ANY warranty package because it is a wear and tear item.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 03-15-2010 | 12:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: M5

Wow, 5gs is insane especially if they are going to use used parts and not cover wear and tear items. Have you looked into the cost of Coverage-One? I read on another thread that they offer warranties for the M5. I will be visiting my dealer when I get the car back on the road to find out but I dont think I will be dishing out 5gs for a warranty.
Old 03-15-2010 | 06:36 PM
Members

Yep 5g's is quite a bit any others???
Old 03-15-2010 | 06:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by /\/\5power
Wow, 5gs is insane especially if they are going to use used parts and not cover wear and tear items. Have you looked into the cost of Coverage-One? I read on another thread that they offer warranties for the M5. I will be visiting my dealer when I get the car back on the road to find out but I dont think I will be dishing out 5gs for a warranty.
Coverage-One? What's this you speak of...

Originally Posted by bimmerman5
Yep 5g's is quite a bit any others???
Thats what i said... i am most worried about the early clutch wear i've been hearing about! Its not a covered item under normal warranties.
Old 03-17-2010 | 07:03 AM
Senior Members

CAN PEOPLE JUST COMMMENT ON WHETHER 3rd PARTY WARRANTIES ARE A GOOD IDEA? YES ITS GOING TO BE $4500-5000USD

YAY OR NAY!!!!!
Old 03-18-2010 | 06:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Depending on what's covered it's a definite YAY, but if they can use used parts and some of the most expensive parts are not covered (clutch) then NAY. The chances of needed an Air Con unit replaced are far less than needing a new clutch and if the clutch isn't covered I'd save the $5k and just use it towards the clutch replacement. Let's face it, you probably won;t own the car when it needs a second clutch replacement so just put some $$$ in a savings account for repair emergencies, don;t use the dealer to repair find a goo indy mechanic and relax and enjoy your beast.
Old 03-21-2010 | 08:12 AM
Members

Agreed, It really makes no sense if clutch is not covered. Maybe a better question is Does anyone know of any Warranties which cover clutch? I heard someone chime in about "Coverage One" can anyone elaborate on this one or any others?
Old 03-22-2010 | 04:47 AM
Senior Members

BMW confired that the Clutch is NOT covered under this warranty. Funny thing is the dealer rep told me because my car is SMG,there is no need to worry abou tclutch replacement. I told him he is VERY mislead and should maybe know what he is talking about before giving advice to customers about a car he knows nothing about. This was not the same guy i had been dealing with... so he was classified douche-of-the-day. ahah

So bottomline is the clutch isnt covered. Bummer.
Old 03-22-2010 | 09:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: M5

That is a total bummer, I am still contemplating if its worth $4-5gs because I know there is alot of things that could go wrong. Is the Nav unit covered? What other major parts arent covered? My last extended warranty on my X5 had me paying for stupid shitt like hoses and clamps and even fluids. Keep us updated and thanks for the info.
Old 03-23-2010 | 06:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by /\/\5power
That is a total bummer, I am still contemplating if its worth $4-5gs because I know there is alot of things that could go wrong. Is the Nav unit covered? What other major parts arent covered? My last extended warranty on my X5 had me paying for stupid shitt like hoses and clamps and even fluids. Keep us updated and thanks for the info.
Yes i think it is.. they basically said everything that is covered under the manufacturers warranty is covered. BMW tells me that the clutch wear is not covered, but if it were to malfunction or break due to none wear and tear that would fall under the manu. warranty.

I've decided not to go with the warranty, as its very expensive and i cant seem to get a clear answer on what is and what isnt covered.

Bad idea?

Quick Reply: CANADIANS: Ext. Warranty for 06 M5