E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Canadian Looking for mods/parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 07:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im really new to the M5 world (purchased 06' in October/08) and was originally going to just tint the windows and keep most everything stock.. Seeing videos of C's RPI exhaust, Eurofans pics of the 100 mods he's done and other members unique mods im really eager to start doing some alterations.
My M5 only has 12000kms, and is still under factory warranty.. I dont want to do anything that will effect my warranty, and also want to be able to sell the car after a year and upgrade..

My questions are;
1. is there a market out there for selling modded m5's?? I dont want to do some shit and then not be able to sell it ( i want to retain its value)
2. as a canadian where can i get mods for my car and at a good value?? RPI? RDSport?
3. WHat mods are good starters? (not looking to spend a fortune)
4. THings to stay away from?

Im thinking about doing some stuff, but dont want to run into engine/tranny/electrical problems down the road because of them.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks for any help! Can't wait to get my beast out of winter storage!!

Aartsy
Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Senior Members

It seems to me the best way is to keep your stock parts in storage, so that you can swap them back, and sell the mods separately. That's what most people seem to do.

In terms of mods, there's a few things you should consider:

1. Lower cost items that add good power and are easy to install/de-install: ie. Intakes
2. Invisible things: ie. lightweight underdrive pulley (if same color as stock, otherwise higher chance of detection by dealer).
3. Exhaust: make sure you like the sound, because this will make a HUGE impact on your driving/ownership experience.

Beyond that, there's things like software (nice bump in power and driving feel), oil cooler (again, nice bump in power), suspension parts, brakes, wheels, etc.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Aartsy19' post='778417' date='Jan 27 2009, 08:30 AM
Im really new to the M5 world (purchased 06' in October/08) and was originally going to just tint the windows and keep most everything stock.. Seeing videos of C's RPI exhaust, Eurofans pics of the 100 mods he's done and other members unique mods im really eager to start doing some alterations.
My M5 only has 12000kms, and is still under factory warranty.. I dont want to do anything that will effect my warranty, and also want to be able to sell the car after a year and upgrade..

My questions are;
1. is there a market out there for selling modded m5's?? I dont want to do some shit and then not be able to sell it ( i want to retain its value)
2. as a canadian where can i get mods for my car and at a good value?? RPI? RDSport?
3. WHat mods are good starters? (not looking to spend a fortune)
4. THings to stay away from?

Im thinking about doing some stuff, but dont want to run into engine/tranny/electrical problems down the road because of them.

Any opinions are greatly appreciated...

Thanks for any help! Can't wait to get my beast out of winter storage!!

Aartsy
There is a great market for used part in our classified section, especially RPI and RD sport products. Although they're hard to come by, I'm sure you will not have a problem selling them here. If you get the RPI set up and need to sell them later on down the line, I'll buy them! I plan on selling my car in for a M5 as well.

RD sport and RPI will ship to Canada. You can try giving Trinity a call. They're a great vendor here on the forums and
I highly recommned going through them for either RD or RPI products.

Great starter mods are drop in air filters, air intake scoops, block off plates. To make horse power i suggest a full exhaust system and or an ecu flash.

stay away from open cone air intake systems that replace your stock box. You'll end up loosing power.....if anything, Dinan makes a great replacement for the stock intake box. otherwise, RPI makes awesome scoops w/BMC drop in filters (i have them they are a great inexpensive mod) If changing the suspension, try to go with full coilovers such as KW V3s. if lowering your car with springs, eventually you may need to change out the stock shocks. You might as well spend less up front and get the whole coilover kit . hope this helps.....

Good luck and congrats on the M5!