E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Can a Diesel Keep up?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2005, 02:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AND also, let me add.. We are comparing the stock M5 with the re-mapped DMS 535 Diesel.. which means
MY 535 GOES 162MPH, AND YOUR M5 IS TOPPED AT 155... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...
You'd better check the data. I saw alot of m5s that are electronicly limited at 270km/h. I think that the actual limiter is at 270. Some say...that the latest models are available at extra cost with limiter set to 300km/h or so.

Should we talk about the m5 with the limiter off? lol at 320km/h in the 535d looks like a snail.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:25 AM
Members

Lets face it , the new M5 would spank a DMS 535d .
Maybe on a long straight it would stay in the rear view mirrror of the M5 to a point but most places it would have u, as for top speed whos bothered ?
But hey i get on average 450 miles on a tank and 500 if i drive like a nun , the 535d sport's are very popular so resale will be alot better than the M5 ( over 50 on autotrader already) , insurance is low compared to the M5 and as i have a touring i can get the dogs in the back
Old 11-12-2005, 05:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wolverine' post='196220' date='Nov 10 2005, 03:53 PM
If you're talking about a tuned diesel, then you could probably keep up or beat a 550. A stock diesel won't outrun the 545, much less the 550 - just look at the test numbers. As far as comparing it to the new M5, you might as well compare it to a Porsche Turbo, or a Gallardo. Those are cars in the M5 league. A tuned 535d is not.
well if you go on m6board.com you will see there is quite a difference in performance between the m5 and m6. Yes the porsche Turbo and Gallardo are in the m6 league, but the m5 is slightly below that

oh and the m5 is a completely different animal to the 535d (although comparing stock cars) I had the chance to test drive both , and the difference is huge. if you put the m5 SMG gearbox in automatic mode (shift-pattern 5) then as soon as you have pressed the gas pedal firmly enough it downshifts 2-3 gears for you so you can match pretty much anything on the road.. It is very good for changes of mood, from calm to aggressive driving , but due to the nature of the clutch i would not recommend you kept it in this position for very long.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:44 AM
Members

My Ride: E61 520d M sport Touring Titanium Silver Media Package Privacy Glass

ok put the lastest m5 against a chipped 535d on a well rehersed track say Nurburgring and 2 equally skilled and brave drivers and there is only ever going to be one winner and it isnt going to be the diesel.

Whilst not scientific Top Gear proved that even a 545i could do a better lap time than a standard 535d.

Take this challange however out on to the public roads without safety barriers, marshalls, oncoming traffic,junctions, unfamiliar roads, diesel spills, animals the list goes on there will only ever be one winner and thats the craziest driver.

Both cars are so fast that to conscider a 100% flat out challenge on public roads is pretty much insane and somewhat impossible unless you really are prepared to seriously risk the safety of others and yourself.

Most people who like to drive fast including me have a comfort level for their own safety and both these cars for me anyway can way surpass that level on public roads.

We are not talking saxo vs corsa this is a whole different league.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:59 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by wales34part' post='202931' date='Nov 24 2005, 01:44 PM
ok put the lastest m5 against a chipped 535d on a well rehersed track say Nurburgring and 2 equally skilled and brave drivers and there is only ever going to be one winner and it isnt going to be the diesel.

Whilst not scientific Top Gear proved that even a 545i could do a better lap time than a standard 535d.

Take this challange however out on to the public roads without safety barriers, marshalls, oncoming traffic,junctions, unfamiliar roads, diesel spills, animals the list goes on there will only ever be one winner and thats the craziest driver.

Both cars are so fast that to conscider a 100% flat out challenge on public roads is pretty much insane and somewhat impossible unless you really are prepared to seriously risk the safety of others and yourself.

Most people who like to drive fast including me have a comfort level for their own safety and both these cars for me anyway can way surpass that level on public roads.

We are not talking saxo vs corsa this is a whole different league.
I feel you 100%!

"there will only ever be one winner and thats the craziest driver." THAT IS SO TRUE.
Unfortunatley i found that the hard way on my own skin...now i'm stuck with metal screws in my thigh just because i had 2-3 seconds on insanity. Now i fully regret that !!!
Old 11-24-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Quite a bit of disrespect for the 545 going on in this thread

The key metric that the diesel has over the 545 might be the in-gear acceleration (50 to 75 etc). However you don't drive the 545 (or gas engined cars in general) like that - kick down, as nature intended, and the 545 is quicker over all metrics. The quoted specs are always in gear, the real world is different. The 535 is of course an amazing car - but it's not as quick as the 545, let alone some of the other cars mentioned in this thread.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by swajames' post='202940' date='Nov 24 2005, 07:09 PM

The key metric that the diesel has over the 545 might be the in-gear acceleration (50 to 75 etc). However you don't drive the 545 (or gas engined cars in general) like that - kick down, as nature intended, and the 545 is quicker over all metrics. The quoted specs are always in gear, the real world is different. The 535 is of course an amazing car - but it's not as quick as the 545, let alone some of the other cars mentioned in this thread.
500lb +torque would soon show from a DMS 535d whos the daddy
Old 11-25-2005, 04:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JOKER' post='203136

[/quote]

Well the early data on DMS does not suggest a performance edge (except maybe at 50-70, but not at 0-60, 0-100). Why compare a 545i stock to a tuned 535d anyway, apples and oranges comparsion if you ask me. Let's compare the DMS 535d to the Dinan chipped 545i when it comes out.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by JOKER' post='203136

[/quote]

not in straight acceleration. If you want to properly compare apples to apples you'll need to compare to a remapped 545 - same result.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Contributors

Just found this thread. I consider myself reasonably qualified to comment on this, because I've raced against an M5 at Silverstone circuit in my DMS 535d, and have also raced against M5s and M6s at the Nurburgring.

Cutting to the chase - the M5 will beat the DMS 535d every time. It is a faster car, and I agree, a true supercar...

BUT

...my DMS 535d was that close behind the M5 and M6 that it would suprise most people on this board. I believe that my car with its Bilstein PSS9 suspension upgrade handles better than the M5, and I know for a fact that its AP Racing 6 pots means it stops a whole lot faster than the stock M5 as well. I know we're not comparing apples with apples here, we're comparing a stock car versus a heavily modified one. But for me, having raced the M cars it has completely convinced me that I don't want one. For ?20,000 less than an M5 I can have a modifed 535d which won't beat an M5, but will come suprisingly close!

Sabine in the ring taxi with upgraded brake pads laps the ring BTG in around 8.11 (I understand). My best lap is 8.37 - 26 seconds slower. Consider Sabine driving my car and you certainly knock some of these 26 seconds off. 4% of a difference in time is not bad for a diesel

I have a video comparing one of Sabine's laps with my own - not the best service because its squashed the image - I'll try and find a better online service unless Banglebox could host this one as well?

http://www.youtube.com/?v=ynQ4nytNkbc

Quick Reply: Can a Diesel Keep up?