E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Buying Help---e60 M5

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well... i dont know where exactly to post this thread, but im getting ver frustrated and i need help.

For the past few months I have been searching Canada and the US for a mildy used 2006 M5.. in and around the $ 60-65000 CAN, $48-53000 US budget. I have found a few in the states that have posed some interest but none really specifically to my specifications. Also i am a little wiery about importing a M5 without test driving or at least seeing it. Either way i want an M5 whether i have to import or buy Canadian but am looking for a good deal as the market(s) are both raping our economies.

I was wondering if anyone in either countrys can offer some information the value of m5s and getting into an m5. A place to buy one? Advice on what to look for maybe? really anything to help

Cheers,

Aartsy
Old 10-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Contributors

on a 06 m5, book for the car is 45g`s US MIND U.. with 22 k on the clock... in mint condition.. the way the market is right now.. around 41to 43g`s.... at auction.... at dealerships.. there going to be looking for around 5 to 8g`s in mark up... if you need any help on car fax`s let me know ill be happy to help out... good luck
Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 M5

Originally Posted by 530ISPORT' post='692057' date='Oct 13 2008, 04:39 PM
on a 06 m5, book for the car is 45g`s US MIND U.. with 22 k on the clock... in mint condition.. the way the market is right now.. around 41to 43g`s.... at auction.... at dealerships.. there going to be looking for around 5 to 8g`s in mark up... if you need any help on car fax`s let me know ill be happy to help out... good luck
I just purchased an 06 M5 with 16k miles on it from a private seller in California (I live in Vancouver, BC).

I monitored ebay, cars.com, and autotrader.com for a month to get a feel for the market and then started looking at craigslist which is where I found the best deals. I searched all the major cities in the US for craigslist ads daily and there are often some real gems in there but occasionally some scams too. I prefer to buy from a private seller so I can get a feel for how the car was likely treated... you can talk about the history, understand why they bought it, etc. You get none of that from a dealer or auction car.

M5board.com also has a good classified section but most board members there have an inflated sense of what their vehicle is worth (likely due to the great pride they take in their cars) so it's rarely a good deal. After a car has listed on M5board for 2 months, usually the seller lowers the price to something reasonable. The bonus with buying from a board member is that you can often research their post history to learn more about how they treated the car.

Don't buy a US car that's already been imported to Canada without checking the Carfax... and even then, be leary. So many Canadian dealers are importing lemon law cars that it's not worth the risk in my opinion. Buy one in the US, drive it home, and make a vacation out of it. Go to ucanimport.com and sign up for their free import guide which is essential. PM me for my email if you want to discuss further.

Cheers, and good luck!