E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

bmw 530 to m5?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010 | 08:02 PM
Contributors

Let me play devil's advocate. As many have said, gas mileage in a M5 is poor. But in reality, it's no worse than most of the oversized SUVs you see everywhere. The difference is the size of the tank in the M. Yes, you will fill up quite regularly, but you can realistically get 11-13 mpg out of these beasts. I am currently averaging 13.1 mpg, and I fill up roughly every 6 days. Granted, that's twice the time a lot of M owners go between fill-ups, but it truly depends on your daily commute and your driving style. I don't drive like your grandma, but I also don't keep my beast in the 5K+ RPM range on my drive to work (25 miles roundtrip/mixed city and highway.) In short, you've heard the tales of guys spending $1500/month in fuel, but as a daily driver, you can also spend as little as $225-$250 a month like myself.
Old 08-30-2010 | 08:11 PM
Banned

I don't mean to be rude, however my feelings are, if you can truly afford a M5 then gas shouldn't be an issue.
Old 08-31-2010 | 12:32 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

how the hell r u guys getting 13.1??? I am averaging 7.6 mpg. I did get 23 mpg one time taking it VERY VERY easy on the highway. I am debating if I should take a trip with the M5 to Markham. Just for food etc. LOL.

It really depends if u have spare cash to throw around. Not just gas alone but when it breaks down, be prepared to find a place to fix it. I would find a local place that can fix M5s cheaper than the dealer first. Familiarize yourself with what needs to be fixed and where cna it be done for a fraction of dealer price. Gas isn't much of a concern if you don't drive that much. Just imagine doubling what you're paying now for gas.
Old 08-31-2010 | 03:41 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
how the hell r u guys getting 13.1??? I am averaging 7.6 mpg. I did get 23 mpg one time taking it VERY VERY easy on the highway. I am debating if I should take a trip with the M5 to Markham. Just for food etc. LOL.

It really depends if u have spare cash to throw around. Not just gas alone but when it breaks down, be prepared to find a place to fix it. I would find a local place that can fix M5s cheaper than the dealer first. Familiarize yourself with what needs to be fixed and where cna it be done for a fraction of dealer price. Gas isn't much of a concern if you don't drive that much. Just imagine doubling what you're paying now for gas.
Yo why wont u actually come to Markham, ill show u around some nice asian restaurants in the area AMAZING !
Old 08-31-2010 | 07:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg
7.6 seriously? that's disgusting. the guy gets 13.1 because he lives in columbus, sc and calls it city driving. i hate to break it to you, but that isn't city driving. sticker 15/25 city/highway mileage doesn't mean you're either one or the other, there are vastly different in-betweens, mostly with city. try to get 15mpg in LA, i dare you. chilipeecorndog, tennessee, yeah 15 is doable i'd bet.

as a side note columbus, sc, i love your color/rim combo
Old 09-03-2010 | 12:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

Originally Posted by tuffluck
what kind of gas mileage do you guys get with the m5? i mean i have a 530i and i get 16-17 around the DFW metroplex, but my city driving is true city conditions, too.

I have the best of both worlds, my m5replica is a 530i and gets 27 city and 34highway and looks just like an OEM M5 by exterior apperance and I get offers of people wanting to purchase it all the time for 28,000.00 to 35,000,00, I love the true m5 but hate the 10mpg the insurance Prem. High gas prices, etc.
Old 09-03-2010 | 02:08 AM
Banned

My Ride: A Car

Originally Posted by bmw550ifreak
Yo why wont u actually come to Markham, ill show u around some nice asian restaurants in the area AMAZING !
I might actually come this weekend. Long weekend, get a hotel, grab some good food. hehehe

Originally Posted by tuffluck
7.6 seriously? that's disgusting. the guy gets 13.1 because he lives in columbus, sc and calls it city driving. i hate to break it to you, but that isn't city driving. sticker 15/25 city/highway mileage doesn't mean you're either one or the other, there are vastly different in-betweens, mostly with city. try to get 15mpg in LA, i dare you. chilipeecorndog, tennessee, yeah 15 is doable i'd bet.

as a side note columbus, sc, i love your color/rim combo

i'm doing better! 8.6 mpg. LOL. Anythng over 10, I am happy.
Old 09-03-2010 | 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Presley348
I have the best of both worlds, my m5replica is a 530i and gets 27 city and 34highway and looks just like an OEM M5 by exterior apperance and I get offers of people wanting to purchase it all the time for 28,000.00 to 35,000,00, I love the true m5 but hate the 10mpg the insurance Prem. High gas prices, etc.
best of both worlds, seriously? words can't describe how silly i think posers are, but, i have to admit you are no different than this guy in my book:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/103...g-w-e60-front/

it's not your car, why make it look like it? no one in their right mind would actually buy your car thinking it's an M5, and i won't be surprised at all if you have a very difficult time selling it.
Old 09-04-2010 | 11:27 AM
Contributors

My 530i gets 21 mpg average and looks sexy as hell (because I made it so). I get compliments all the time and looks. So what if it doesn't go 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds? I won't be doing that ALL the time.. I'd much rather enjoy my car and drive many miles without worrying about having to blow lots of $$$ on gas.
Old 09-05-2010 | 02:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Howitzer
My 530i gets 21 mpg average and looks sexy as hell (because I made it so). I get compliments all the time and looks. So what if it doesn't go 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds? I won't be doing that ALL the time.. I'd much rather enjoy my car and drive many miles without worrying about having to blow lots of $$$ on gas.
i also have a 530i, not an m5, so i'm not trying to plead the m5 case or anything. i'm just saying i think it's ridiculous and do not understand when people try to make their cars look like other cars, that's all.

Quick Reply: bmw 530 to m5?