E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Best coilovers fand exhaust or 2010 M5

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 07:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Originally Posted by HeavyTireSmoke
Yes sir, as far as exhaust...There are so many to choose from and mostly depends how furious you want your car to sound. And btw, Congrats on the car.

I have been thru 3 different setups so I can answer some questions if you like, PM me.
Thanks and thank you for the congrats!

I am very likely going to just go with the Dinan Stage 2 Suspension as I already have the front and rear strut braces and I had the Dinan suspension on the 550i with the HRE wheels and it really was the perfect drop. Ride quality was amazing and it would bite extremely well in the turns. It would be a relatively rare instance for me to track the car, once or twice a year at best just for pure fun, but I do drive my car very hard on the road.

I may PM you on this. Thank you for the invite to do so.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I have KW V3's on my beast and love them. Costly, but worth every penny. I also have Dinan Sways (front and rear) and highly recommend this addition too.

BTW - I opted for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports over the PS2's. They are by far the best tire I've ever driven on and the cost is identical. The SS is supposedly the newer version of the PS2.

Good luck with all your decisions.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
I have KW V3's on my beast and love them. Costly, but worth every penny. I also have Dinan Sways (front and rear) and highly recommend this addition too.

BTW - I opted for the Michelin Pilot Super Sports over the PS2's. They are by far the best tire I've ever driven on and the cost is identical. The SS is supposedly the newer version of the PS2.

Good luck with all your decisions.
Thank you. The KW are prob what I am going with now after looking at a few pics of M5s with Dinan suspension. Dinan was the perfect drop for my 550i but it does not seem to drop the car quite enough on the M5.

I also have recently run the Super Sports after having run PS2s for years. I went back to PS2s with current setup on HREs due to availability in the size. When I ran SS I found them very similar except that the PS2s are a bit stickier. They both have nice squared sidewalls and cut turns great while also giving it a nice look. I believe the SS was designed to be more durable and have a slightly longer tread life. In fact, mine had a 20k mi guarantee on rears with rotation and a warranty of some sort on front. In any case, they are both AWESOME in my opinion.

Btw...I have seen your pics before and our garages are very similar. Currently X5 and 550i. Soon to be X5 and M5.

Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate it.

-Mike
Old 07-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

You probably already know this but just making sure...if you get the coilovers, you'll lose the EDC so you can no longer adjust the shocks on the fly with that button. Just have to play with the coilover adjustments till you like the feel and leave them.

I also agree with C, get the Dinan F&R sway bars to complete your suspension mods.

As for exhaust, I'm biased but my vote if for RPI.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Contributors

BTW, what is your member name on M5Board? Same as here?
Old 07-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
BTW, what is your member name on M5Board? Same as here?
Yep. Same as here. Signed up the other day but STILL waiting for moderator approval to be able to post.

When you are saying Dinan sway bars are you guys talking about the Dinan front and rear CF strut braces? I will be removing those form my Dinan 550i and installing them on the M5. And I will be going with the KW v3 coilovers.

-Mike
Old 07-30-2012, 07:58 PM
Senior Members

You probably already know this but just making sure...if you get the coilovers, you'll lose the EDC so you can no longer adjust the shocks on the fly with that button. Just have to play with the coilover adjustments till you like the feel and leave them.

I also agree with C, get the Dinan F&R sway bars to complete your suspension mods.

As for exhaust, I'm biased but my vote if for RPI.
Hey I see you are running the Euro SMG tune on your car and you also have the ESS/RPI tune. I did not know that you could run those at the some time. I was going to install the Evolve tune. Do you know if I can also do the Euro SMG tune? Want to get that launch control set how it is supposed to be.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:11 PM
Contributors

When we say Dinan sway bars, we're referring to the front roll control system and rear sway bars, not the strut braces. Sway bars are underneath your car and strut braces are at the top connecting your strut/shock towers. For the E60 M5, Dinan felt the stock front sway bars couldn't be improved upon so they developed brackets that you'd install to tighten up the stock sway bars. The brackets have 3 holes to make them adjustable for the owner. The rear is a full replacement sway bar.

As for the Euro SMG/LC tune, that's independent of the ECU tune as it modifies your TCU (Transmission Control Unit). For a while, only some tuning companies like ESS and Singh Autosport knew how to do this to enable fast shift and euorpean launch control features in US spec M5s/M6s but a member on M5Board (Vodyk) figured how to do it. He shared the info on the forum and many others have been able to do this on their own. I had a local member did mine for free. Some will charge you a minimal fee. If you can't find anyone in your are, Vodyk offers his service for $100 I think. You just have to send him your TCU.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Contributors

BTW, here's the Front Roll Control System: http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D133-0...em.aspx#page=4

And here's the rear sway bar: http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D120-0...ar.aspx#page=2
Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Senior Members

When we say Dinan sway bars, we're referring to the front roll control system and rear sway bars, not the strut braces. Sway bars are underneath your car and strut braces are at the top connecting your strut/shock towers. For the E60 M5, Dinan felt the stock front sway bars couldn't be improved upon so they developed brackets that you'd install to tighten up the stock sway bars. The brackets have 3 holes to make them adjustable for the owner. The rear is a full replacement sway bar.

As for the Euro SMG/LC tune, that's independent of the ECU tune as it modifies your TCU (Transmission Control Unit). For a while, only some tuning companies like ESS and Singh Autosport knew how to do this to enable fast shift and euorpean launch control features in US spec M5s/M6s but a member on M5Board (Vodyk) figured how to do it. He shared the info on the forum and many others have been able to do this on their own. I had a local member did mine for free. Some will charge you a minimal fee. If you can't find anyone in your are, Vodyk offers his service for $100 I think. You just have to send him your TCU.
Awesome. Thanks a bunch. I am familiar with the sway bars, I was just thinking that perhaps you guys were saying "sway" bars instead of braces? Dumb on my part. Not unusual.

I appreciate all of your help. Nice to get such a thorough an educated response on the mods. I will definitely be contacting Vodyk. This is in my opinion one of those "must do" mods.

Thanks again,

-Mike

Quick Reply: Best coilovers fand exhaust or 2010 M5