E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Best coilovers fand exhaust or 2010 M5

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Hello all,

New to the M5 board but not so new to E60.net. Just modded the crap out of my Dinan 550i then I caught M fever 3 mos later! 9you...I knew it would happen after I dropped a good $20K+).

Anyway, just sealed a tentative deal on a 2010 BEAST and I will be installing my new HRE P43SCs on it. (yes...already have M5 offsets on rear and a small spacer should easily make the fronts a perfect fit). I will need to drop this bad boy right away. I am used to my car being dropped with the Dinan suspension only and not sure of the very best way to drop the M5. I am certain it is best done with coilovers and I wold love to hear form any of you who are using them on your setup and which ones are the best and why.

Pic of my Dinan 550i below with the wheels. Will be running 295/25/20 rears and 255/30/20 fronts. Mich. PS2. Love the squared sidewalls.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I want to start moderately modding this car from day one.

Oh, and wouldn't mind some thoughts on exhaust. I prob will add Dinan to the car eventually (which usually ends up meaning in about 2 weeks-hahahaha) but not sure if I want Dinan and instead maybe go Eisenmann?

-Mike
Attached Thumbnails Best coilovers fand exhaust or 2010 M5-screen-shot-2012-07-26-1.42.01-pm.png   Best coilovers fand exhaust or 2010 M5-screen-shot-2012-07-26-1.38.33-pm.png   Best coilovers fand exhaust or 2010 M5-screen-shot-2012-07-26-1.43.09-pm.png   Best coilovers fand exhaust or 2010 M5-screen-shot-2012-07-26-1.37.32-pm.png  
Old 07-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

If you have the cash the best route is to get KW V3's with EDC emulators, its around $3000, by far the best coilovers out there for E60 M5.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by IndyRedBeast
If you have the cash the best route is to get KW V3's with EDC emulators, its around $3000, by far the best coilovers out there for E60 M5.
Awesome. Thank you. Those are what I was looking at but I saw that some people switched over to CKS and preferred them. I appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:40 PM
Members

My Ride: ///M5

How does the BC compare to the Kw's? I am about to buy some coil overs but I don't track my car and would be real nice if I could just get the BC and save some cash unless theres a difference that I would notice.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HeavyTireSmoke
How does the BC compare to the Kw's? I am about to buy some coil overs but I don't track my car and would be real nice if I could just get the BC and save some cash unless theres a difference that I would notice.
Man I have read NOTHING but how cheap quality they are in doing research for coilovers myself. I personally would not waste the money on cheap coils for such a nice ride. Better of spending t extra $ and getting what you want. Sucks to spend it and then always be wishing you went the right way to begin with. Might want tp look at those CKS. They are $1K cheaper than the KWv3. Trinity Autosport sells them. In fact, I was reading a post where a guy from there had the KW and switched over the CK and actually prefers them. Might want to give them a call.My knowledge is limited to what I have read from others. That i why I am also asking for advice here.

Opinions for anyone who has experience with either or both would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:05 PM
Members

I have talked to Joe and he was the only one I know of that made the switch. He also switched because he wanted more of a race setup. The Kws can be quite aggressive but they can be set to whatever you desire. Indyredbeast actually has the BCs and was just wondering if he would switch and why he hasn't. Also, A lot of the E39 M5 guys are using BC and are happy, you can read about it on the M5 board. For me its not the money but it does play a factor, its just I want to keep the EDC hence I haven't done the mod but I would like to now and wanted some info on the difference.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Senior Members

I have talked to Joe and he was the only one I know of that made the switch. He also switched because he wanted more of a race setup. The Kws can be quite aggressive but they can be set to whatever you desire. Indyredbeast actually has the BCs and was just wondering if he would switch and why he hasn't. Also, A lot of the E39 M5 guys are using BC and are happy, you can read about it on the M5 board. For me its not the money but it does play a factor, its just I want to keep the EDC hence I haven't done the mod but I would like to now and wanted some info on the difference.
Cool. yeah, must be same thread I read. Seems to me the KWv3 will be best for me and I will likely buy them unless I hear some serious disagreement. Like I said, my knowledge is limited to what I have read. That is why I suggested asking others.

This may sound ignorant but can I ask what "EDC" is?
Old 07-28-2012, 05:57 PM
Members

EDC is the electronic dampening control that is located on the centre near the SMG knob. The EDC function has 3 settings that helps to increase or reduce stiffness of the suspension. It really helps when you want to have it set aggressive for spiritual driving or can switch it to soft or medium when your on the highway cruising and a lot less bumpier. I have heard the KW on the soft setting is comparable to the stiffest setting on the stock suspension. I just like the feature as when someone older who appreciates the luxury then I can switch it to soft and its a comfortable ride but when I am alone I most likely have it on hard and have a better grip of the road. Asking also not ignorant but go on the M5 forum as there is ALOT of info on there. GL
Old 07-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

EDC is the electronic dampening control that is located on the centre near the SMG knob. The EDC function has 3 settings that helps to increase or reduce stiffness of the suspension. It really helps when you want to have it set aggressive for spiritual driving or can switch it to soft or medium when your on the highway cruising and a lot less bumpier. I have heard the KW on the soft setting is comparable to the stiffest setting on the stock suspension. I just like the feature as when someone older who appreciates the luxury then I can switch it to soft and its a comfortable ride but when I am alone I most likely have it on hard and have a better grip of the road. Asking also not ignorant but go on the M5 forum as there is ALOT of info on there. GL
Ahh. Thank you for that. M5board.com?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:19 PM
Members

Yes sir, as far as exhaust...There are so many to choose from and mostly depends how furious you want your car to sound. And btw, Congrats on the car.

I have been thru 3 different setups so I can answer some questions if you like, PM me.

Quick Reply: Best coilovers fand exhaust or 2010 M5