E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Aux and USB Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:07 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux and USB Issue

Hi all,

I've recently just bought myself a 2007 E60 M5 which i've had for almost a month and im loving it, raw endless power and as my first //M car im very impressed.

I've had one issue with the car which i cant seem to figure out, this is my first post so go easy on me!

The model i have has a USB and Aux port in the centre console under the phone cradle but whenever i plug anything into either, i cant get it to work.

The entertainment menu on the iDrive has the AUX option but its greyed out whether i use the USB or the Aux port. When i plug a flash drive into the USB it just doesn't power up at all, no light or anything. I get a feel that its a dodgy or loose connection somewhere but before i did anything drastic (like try to open it), i thought it would be good to ask if there were any menu options to "activate" the ports or something, maybe a fuse for it or something similar.

I've checked the fuse diagrams and none of them seem to be for the USB port, and i've checked all the audio related fuses too! I must have read the manual cover to cover 3 times and i'm confident there isnt anything in there.

Any help would really be appreciated; as much as i've perfected the art of putting MP3's onto cd's its a hassle to burn a whole new CD for a few new songs.

Looking forward to any suggestions!

Thanks in advance
Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM
New Members

Hey there,

I have the same ports on my 520d it sounds like a dodgy port you have there.

I plugged a USB drive loaded with mp3's and wav format and it picked them up straight away. I didn't have to enable anything, just went cd/devices/generic and it has all music data.

Sorry I couldn't help any further
Old 01-29-2013, 05:31 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Dapnat
Hey there,

I have the same ports on my 520d it sounds like a dodgy port you have there.

I plugged a USB drive loaded with mp3's and wav format and it picked them up straight away. I didn't have to enable anything, just went cd/devices/generic and it has all music data.

Sorry I couldn't help any further
I get this feeling, im just really really really hoping that its something simple and something that i've overlooked!

Here's to wishful thinking eh?!

I wonder if anyone knows how easy it is to get to this port? I really don't want to open this up if its hard to put back together.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:27 AM
New Members

did you figure this out?

I have an '08 550i and have a similar issue. I din't think I have any power to my USB port. USB is "greyed out" in the Aux menu. I tried the OEM Ipod cable and can't get any Idevice to work. I also tried a USB stick, and that didn't work. The regular Aux input works with the headphone jack for playing music though.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2010 E60 M5 6MT

Fuse blown?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by theunderlord
Fuse blown?
I've been reading up trying to figure out if the usb port does have a fuse for it but i cant seem to find one... Any idea's which one it might be?

I'd love it if the solution was that simple!
Old 03-07-2013, 10:14 PM
New Members

My Ride: 08 E60 Alpine White M5

Try an older version of USB flash drive. USB 2 or even older, I had issue with mine when I was using a USB 3 flash drive.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 LCI 530XI

Loomus-Maximus any luck? I have a same issue, and canīt figure it out either.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:49 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Diiler
Loomus-Maximus any luck? I have a same issue, and canīt figure it out either.
Hi Diiler,

Sorry mate, i've not had any luck - i've just had to grit my teeth and just deal with burning my MP3's onto a cd. Not idea but works for now.

I have my service coming up so i'll ask at BM's to see if they can sort it and will come back with an update.

Cheers,

Loomus
Old 07-13-2013, 01:17 AM
New Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2011

I had the same issue.. Its the Damn USB Hub in the trunk.

Check out my posts and the resolution from the link below. Should be around $100 for it but you'll get the latest.

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...orking-133489/

Quick Reply: Aux and USB Issue