E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Aspiring M5 owner with questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 02:45 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i black Premium Sport NAV

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='1092897' date='Jan 18 2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah, it seems that after using Sea Foam in my engine, it helped out a lot with my mileage, thanks to member Anad Rahim for introducing it to me. Thanks buddy!

I commute about 45 miles a day. I would say 60/40 is a good ratio for my city /highway commute. 60 being city as I don't consider driving on Highway traffic with it stop and go being Highway miles.

I tell you what though, the Easy Care warranty covers the clutch and flywheel (per the warranty outline) and many other extended warranties do not.

What is Sea foam??...
Old 01-18-2010, 02:54 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i black Premium Sport NAV

Originally Posted by jey5ive' post='1093131' date='Jan 18 2010, 07:45 PM
What is Sea foam??...
nevermind... I answered my own question...! amazing what a wonderful tool the search bar is...!
Old 01-19-2010, 06:08 AM
Members

Does anybody have issues driving the M5 in everyday traffic and on hills. I hear the SMG can be a pain navigating traffic sometime. I will be commuted around 15 miles each way in traffic to work, and I would lik to hear your opinions. I realize that the SMG will roll back on you on steep hills, so I am assuming left foot braking is a must in traffic and on hills.

Note: The M5 will only be daily driven for 4 or 5 months then it will be strictly a weekend car with a few roadtrips thrown in.

Because of the SMG in the M 5alone I am thinking about picking up a 2008 M3 in DCT or Manual.........Sway me to the darkside please
Old 01-19-2010, 06:21 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

That's pretty much the same as my commute and I have no issues with it. If you do that type of commute with a normal manual, you shouldn't have any problems with SMG since your left foot won't be sore from using a conventional clutch. Also, this tranny has hill assist (not sure of the actual name) and it'll keep the car stationary for about a sec or two once you lift off the brakes before it rolls so left foot braking is not necessary.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1093387' date='Jan 19 2010, 10:21 AM
That's pretty much the same as my commute and I have no issues with it. If you do that type of commute with a normal manual, you shouldn't have any problems with SMG since your left foot won't be sore from using a conventional clutch. Also, this tranny has hill assist (not sure of the actual name) and it'll keep the car stationary for about a sec or two once you lift off the brakes before it rolls so left foot braking is not necessary.
Good to hear!

If someone offered to trade you a 2008 M3 DCT right now would you take it?

When is ESS going to release an SMGIII shift program. I know they already have a shiftprogram for the SMGII. I think this upgrade would increase performance and decrease clutch wear because clutch engagement would be much quicker (so less slipping when it occurs).
Old 01-19-2010, 07:25 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VTGT' post='1093427' date='Jan 19 2010, 08:14 AM
Good to hear!

If someone offered to trade you a 2008 M3 DCT right now would you take it?

When is ESS going to release an SMGIII shift program. I know they already have a shiftprogram for the SMGII. I think this upgrade would increase performance and decrease clutch wear because clutch engagement would be much quicker (so less slipping when it occurs).
I like the M3 but I would not trade my M5 for one. It's probably just my personal opinion but I feel the M5 is like an "executive" class sedan which I preferred over the smaller M3.

As for ESS, there have been talks about the shift program on M5Board but I don't remember any confirmation of when it'll come out.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1093431' date='Jan 19 2010, 11:25 AM
I like the M3 but I would not trade my M5 for one. It's probably just my personal opinion but I feel the M5 is like an "executive" class sedan which I preferred over the smaller M3.
As for ESS, there have been talks about the shift program on M5Board but I don't remember any confirmation of when it'll come out.

That comment that is in Bold is the reason I originally started looking at M5's. I am also 6'4 and over 200 lbs, and the M5 seats were a lot more supportive and comfy, not to mention the headroom and legroom was a few inches larger.

For some reason the SMG is scaring me. I loved it when I test drove it but I have read so many horry stotires of people having to replace their clutch or even the whole tranny in some circumstances. I guess it does not really matter if I get a warranty that covers this (like Easy Care)

The pro's for the 2008 M3 is better handling (more tossable), better tranny (arguably) and more factory warranty and maint.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 AM
Contributors

As it has been mentioned earlier, if you get a later build 2006, you should be okay. Even better if you can do a 2007. You also tend to hear more about bad issues on forums than good ones so take that into consideration.

But you're right about the M3's good points. Add to that the fact that you'll probably see more mod options on the M3 and at cheaper price points than the M5.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1093441' date='Jan 19 2010, 11:50 AM
As it has been mentioned earlier, if you get a later build 2006, you should be okay. Even better if you can do a 2007. You also tend to hear more about bad issues on forums than good ones so take that into consideration.

But you're right about the M3's good points. Add to that the fact that you'll probably see more mod options on the M3 and at cheaper price points than the M5.
I agree on both accounts.

On the Subaru Forums you hear people complaining all of the time about blown engines and turbos yet my car was super reliable (Only one minor warranty repair, wheel bearings). No major problems and it was modded. Forums do really attract a lot of people who complain about problems, compared to the amount of people with no problems.

And to your second point, M3's are dime a dozen in my area (DC). I still see more M5/6's then I really want to, but the ratio is probably at least 20 M3's to 1 M5/6. But at the same time the bigger market for the car the more mod support and lower costs. I guess that is the cost of doing business

The one thing that keeps bringing me to buy the E60 M5 is the fact that it is the only production "stock" sedan to hit over 200 MPH. Also it may be the only ever production BMW M with a V10.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VTGT' post='1093522' date='Jan 19 2010, 11:20 AM
I agree on both accounts.

On the Subaru Forums you hear people complaining all of the time about blown engines and turbos yet my car was super reliable (Only one minor warranty repair, wheel bearings). No major problems and it was modded. Forums do really attract a lot of people who complain about problems, compared to the amount of people with no problems.

And to your second point, M3's are dime a dozen in my area (DC). I still see more M5/6's then I really want to, but the ratio is probably at least 20 M3's to 1 M5/6. But at the same time the bigger market for the car the more mod support and lower costs. I guess that is the cost of doing business

The one thing that keeps bringing me to buy the E60 M5 is the fact that it is the only production "stock" sedan to hit over 200 MPH. Also it may be the only ever production BMW M with a V10.
You have your answer in bold. Go get an M5.

Quick Reply: Aspiring M5 owner with questions...