E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

Aspiring M5 owner with questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by VTGT' post='1091566' date='Jan 15 2010, 03:09 PM
A few Q's Euro:

How much was it?

Deductible?

What does it cover?

What does it not cover?

How many miles/years does it last?
- I paid a little over $3200 which included the inspection
- $500
- I got the Total Care option which covers pretty much everything except maintenance items and aftermarket audio/nav. I think the clutch is not covered since it's technically a maint item but I understand it would be covered if it needed to be fixed as part of fixing something else that was covered.
- Additional 3yrs/36K miles from date of warranty purchase.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1091571' date='Jan 15 2010, 06:18 PM
- I paid a little over $3200 which included the inspection
- $500
- I got the Total Care option which covers pretty much everything except maintenance items and aftermarket audio/nav. I think the clutch is not covered since it's technically a maint item but I understand it would be covered if it needed to be fixed as part of fixing something else that was covered.
- Additional 3yrs/36K miles from date of warranty purchase.
How many miles on your car now?

How much have you used your warranty, in other words how much would you have spent otherwise if you did not have the warranty so far?

Do your mods have an affect on the dealership doing the repairs or reporting the repairs to the warranty company? Or is your dealership pretty mod friendly?

Thanks for answering all of these questions
Old 01-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VTGT' post='1091594' date='Jan 15 2010, 03:54 PM
How many miles on your car now?

How much have you used your warranty, in other words how much would you have spent otherwise if you did not have the warranty so far?

Do your mods have an affect on the dealership doing the repairs or reporting the repairs to the warranty company? Or is your dealership pretty mod friendly?

Thanks for answering all of these questions
My car has 51K miles now. I bought the warranty a little over a month ago when I had about 90 miles left before it hit 50K.

The only big thing I had done under the OEM warranty was an issue with the iDrive. It would blank out occasionally, once in a long while but it did it the day the dealer was doing the inspection for my ext warranty so they scheduled me to come back to get it looked at and did it under the OEM warranty. It was just some programming work.

My dealership knows about all my mods and I'm just hoping, but not necessarily betting, that my SA would be cool about working with Easy Care to get anything fixed if needed.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:38 AM
Members

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1091634' date='Jan 15 2010, 08:14 PM
My car has 51K miles now. I bought the warranty a little over a month ago when I had about 90 miles left before it hit 50K.

The only big thing I had done under the OEM warranty was an issue with the iDrive. It would blank out occasionally, once in a long while but it did it the day the dealer was doing the inspection for my ext warranty so they scheduled me to come back to get it looked at and did it under the OEM warranty. It was just some programming work.

My dealership knows about all my mods and I'm just hoping, but not necessarily betting, that my SA would be cool about working with Easy Care to get anything fixed if needed.
How long have you owned the car (miles/years)?

If all you had was an i-drive issue that is pretty good!

Not that it matters but what kind of mpg do you get in city/highway/mixed?
Old 01-16-2010, 07:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by VTGT' post='1091842' date='Jan 16 2010, 07:38 AM
How long have you owned the car (miles/years)?

If all you had was an i-drive issue that is pretty good!

Not that it matters but what kind of mpg do you get in city/highway/mixed?
I've had this car for almost 3 years. Got it used back in Apr 2007 with about 10K miles. Still paid a pretty good premium at that point and wish I had waited. hahaha

It was completely stock and I've added all the stuff you see in my sig since then.

It's my daily driver and I've put 41K miles on it in less than 3 years which is a lot but I love driving this thing. Lately though, I've been working from home more often so that's a good thing.

To clarify, the iDrive issue was the only thing identified and fixed. I did however, have been getting the red cog occasionally in the mornings during cold start but the dealer couldn't find anything. It would appear for about a second and go away. But after they fixed the iDrive with the new software update, it hasn't happened anymore. Knock on wood. The other annoying but minor problem that comes up every now and then would be the squeaky door seals but that's common with most E60s not just the M5s.

Also, my car is a Jun 2006 production.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Members

Does anyone else have insight on the comments and concerns raised in this thread? Or anything else that an aspiring M5 owner should know?
Old 01-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='1091563' date='Jan 15 2010, 05:06 PM
I went with Easy Care cause that's the company that my dealer works with. This should hopefully make things a bit "easier" since my SA can basically tell Easy Care what warranty work needs to be done and be the go-between. I think if you get a warranty from a different company than what your local dealer works with then you probably have to work with their adjusters. The process can also be delayed with claim reimbursements and stuff if your dealer doesn't have a working relationship with your insurance company.
+1, I too have an Easy Care Warranty. That's who my dealer works with as well. Plus they cover much more then other companies.

As for mileage, I get about 13.5-14.5 with a little spirited runs in between stretches.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='1092508' date='Jan 17 2010, 04:30 PM
+1, I too have an Easy Care Warranty. That's who my dealer works with as well. Plus they cover much more then other companies.

As for mileage, I get about 13.5-14.5 with a little spirited runs in between stretches.

I will look into Easy Care!

13.5-14.5 is pretty good is that a 50/50 mix between city and highway driving?

That is about what I got in stop and go and city driving (my normal commute) with my modified Subaru
Old 01-18-2010, 09:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by VTGT' post='1092836' date='Jan 18 2010, 10:42 AM
I will look into Easy Care!

13.5-14.5 is pretty good is that a 50/50 mix between city and highway driving?

That is about what I got in stop and go and city driving (my normal commute) with my modified Subaru
Yeah, it seems that after using Sea Foam in my engine, it helped out a lot with my mileage, thanks to member Anad Rahim for introducing it to me. Thanks buddy!

I commute about 45 miles a day. I would say 60/40 is a good ratio for my city /highway commute. 60 being city as I don't consider driving on Highway traffic with it stop and go being Highway miles.

I tell you what though, the Easy Care warranty covers the clutch and flywheel (per the warranty outline) and many other extended warranties do not.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='1092897' date='Jan 18 2010, 01:06 PM
Yeah, it seems that after using Sea Foam in my engine, it helped out a lot with my mileage, thanks to member Anad Rahim for introducing it to me. Thanks buddy!

I commute about 45 miles a day. I would say 60/40 is a good ratio for my city /highway commute. 60 being city as I don't consider driving on Highway traffic with it stop and go being Highway miles.

I tell you what though, the Easy Care warranty covers the clutch and flywheel (per the warranty outline) and many other extended warranties do not.
I did some quick research and the Easy Care warranty looks pretty legit. It looks like motor trend endorses them as well

Does anyone know if this is the aftermarket extended warranty that most BMW dealers sell? I live in the DC area so I will call a few dealerships to see what they think.

Quick Reply: Aspiring M5 owner with questions...