E60 M5 Discussion The almighty M5. Have you seen one today?

AMG SL65 Versus M5

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 07:24 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Znod' post='401321' date='Mar 11 2007, 02:38 AM
As it stands, we probably will end up with an AMG CLS if I decide to keep the old Z06 or with a 550i and a new Z06 otherwise. I wish I could justify choosing an M5 or M6 over the AMG CLS, but there is no way unless things change dramatically.
well i went through a similar sort of phase and look what i ended up with

you wont regret it
Old 03-12-2007, 07:25 AM
Members

Why would anyone be offended by a car that costs almost twice the price of an M5 beating it? I would be more embarrassed having a Z06 which costs a third of the price of the SL65 spanking it. A more fair comparison as well. The milage complaint is valid for the M5 but the SL65 is much worse. Love the SL65 but I do not see the comparison.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:27 AM
Members

Originally Posted by telegramsam' post='401796' date='Mar 12 2007, 08:25 AM
Why would anyone be offended by a car that costs almost twice the price of an M5 beating it? I would be more embarrassed having a Z06 which costs a third of the price of the SL65 spanking it. A more fair comparison as well. The milage complaint is valid for the M5 but the SL65 is much worse. Love the SL65 but I do not see the comparison.
I have to agree with telegramsam here. The Mercedes 6x engine cars are simply in a class outside anything BMW competes in when it comes to PRICE! Also, for the OP, you might want to check into the 63 engine stats. Yes, the V-12 65 engine is stupid fast, and so the M5 really doesn't stand a chance, but the new 63 engine is generally considered a poor performer compared to the previous 55 engine, which with just a few cheap mods also gained a lot more power. If you expect the CLS63 to spank an M5, you need to read around a little more and you'll find that it's merely competitive to the M5, not better, not much worse.

For full-disclosure, yes I have an E60 M5, and I never expected it to be the fastest car off the line, but I don't care much for all-out drag racing on the streets either. It's just fun to meet up with someone on the highway at 70mph and take a quick run to 150 and back when traffic is clear. I like taking tight corners at high speeds and sweeping freeway interchanges and on/off ramps at levels that make most Mercedes blush. It's all about what you truly want. You have to give Merc credit...MONSTER torque and reasonable mileage compared to the pathetic 15mpg average I'm getting out of my M5. Just call the Merc AMGs "stoplight warriors."
Old 03-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Senior Members

v12 biturbo 0-60 in 4 seconds. yea I would say it packs a punch going in a straight line. Put that engine in an M5 and take it on a gt track , and now were talkin
Old 03-13-2007, 12:51 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 M5 Black/Black/Silver trim. Idrive, navigation, Active Seats, HUD, SMG, that plastic Key... and every option except the Active Cruise Control. I asked for everything and dealer forgot Active Cruise.....

M5 has low torque???? What have you been smokin! I know SL65 will beat M5 but... Look at the engine size!! That is obviously natural
Old 03-13-2007, 01:52 AM
Senior Members

Hello Don!

Yeah i think as well that there is no comparison between the cars. The 65 AMG is in a world of it's own (2 more cilinders, 1000 more cccs, and 2 fat turbos) which indeed costs triple the M5 money (at least here). LOL Like where's the comparison? Straight line that is....cuz we've seen how a brabus sl 65 amg does on a track compared with the humble stock M5. That's more than enough evidence for me.

As JamesInLV said:"It's all about what you truly want. You have to give Merc credit...MONSTER torque and reasonable mileage compared to the pathetic 15mpg average I'm getting out of my M5. Just call the Merc AMGs "stoplight warriors."

I like how this sounds: AMG stoplight worriors
Old 03-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by walterr5' post='402174' date='Mar 13 2007, 12:51 AM
M5 has low torque???? What have you been smokin! I know SL65 will beat M5 but... Look at the engine size!! That is obviously natural
Relative to HP, yes, the M5 is low in the TQ dept.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Mr. Sandog' post='402536' date='Mar 14 2007, 11:18 AM
Relative to HP, yes, the M5 is low in the TQ dept.
Yeah, but people tend to forget some things. The particular things fo the E60 M5 and in general the things that describe the high reving engine.

1. It's NA so low torque is just normal if it's compared to any form of supercharging or turbocharging with similar displacement.
2. BMW is aware of this and that's why they best married the M5 V10 high reving engine with the SMG 7 gearbox. Using proper gear rations they managed to properly use the torque and "even boost it a little" to the wheels.

And considering this when people compare frankenstein cars like the amg/brabus stop light warriors to completely different philosophy cars like the M cars well....from my point of view it's not like comparing apples with apples. The M people never made the M cars with the aim of straight line speed/acceleration only. They tried to make the perfect blend of driving pleasure...
Old 03-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by telegramsam' post='401796' date='Mar 12 2007, 08:25 AM
Please read what I said in comparing more carefully.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by JamesInLV' post='401814' date='Mar 12 2007, 09:27 AM
I have to agree with telegramsam here. The Mercedes 6x engine cars are simply in a class outside anything BMW competes in when it comes to PRICE! Also, for the OP, you might want to check into the 63 engine stats. Yes, the V-12 65 engine is stupid fast, and so the M5 really doesn't stand a chance, but the new 63 engine is generally considered a poor performer compared to the previous 55 engine, which with just a few cheap mods also gained a lot more power. If you expect the CLS63 to spank an M5, you need to read around a little more and you'll find that it's merely competitive to the M5, not better, not much worse.

For full-disclosure, yes I have an E60 M5, and I never expected it to be the fastest car off the line, but I don't care much for all-out drag racing on the streets either. It's just fun to meet up with someone on the highway at 70mph and take a quick run to 150 and back when traffic is clear. I like taking tight corners at high speeds and sweeping freeway interchanges and on/off ramps at levels that make most Mercedes blush. It's all about what you truly want. You have to give Merc credit...MONSTER torque and reasonable mileage compared to the pathetic 15mpg average I'm getting out of my M5. Just call the Merc AMGs "stoplight warriors."
I take it you were offended by the MB's performance. All top HP MBs spank M5's in acceleration.

Quick Reply: AMG SL65 Versus M5