E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

xenon retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:39 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this has been covered loads, but when will someone please make a plug n play kit where i can buy headlight units from a stealer(?624 each)
and the wiring to make it work, take it to my local grease monkey, and voila, xenons. I dont care about self levelling as the correct beam can be set to pass the m.o.t and
washers/levelling only apply to factory fitted xenons. This is not available as a dealer option before any one asks, regardless how deep your pockets are!
Old 05-06-2009, 05:59 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

I dont care about self levelling as the correct beam can be set to pass the m.o.t.
As far as I know, legal HID projectors in most countries requires self-leveling to prevent blinding oncoming drivers. That's why many retrofit kits for vehicles in the US are not street/DOT legal, and drivers have been ticketed. The reflector pattern and light cut-off are also different for HID lamps.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by gbjules' post='869681' date='May 6 2009, 08:39 AM
I know this has been covered loads, but when will someone please make a plug n play kit where i can buy headlight units from a stealer(?624 each)
and the wiring to make it work, take it to my local grease monkey, and voila, xenons. I dont care about self levelling as the correct beam can be set to pass the m.o.t and
washers/levelling only apply to factory fitted xenons. This is not available as a dealer option before any one asks, regardless how deep your pockets are!
Is it a statement? or Are you actually looking to buy new lights to retrofit? I'm confused totally.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Members

In England So many cars have HID kits fitted the police dont bother unless they are very blue, although the bluer ones
are infact of a weaker strength. Last night on the way home I passed perhaps 40 cars with these, can't say any blinded me, unlike infact
many factory fitted ones! Yes I am looking to buy some if only I could get someone to fit them and I've tried the dealerships to no avail.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

I passed by a civic...acura and some GMC truck on the way home last night, each had some aftermarket HID headlight each one was distractingly bright. The self leveling is there for a reason and its not to pass the MOT or state inspections over here.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Members

not meaning to be argumentative but I think most people not aware of 'xenon' would probably find either type distracting.
I do however take your point as many foreign lorries can be blinding. New EEC regs aim to change the current sided beam pattern to straight
across, thus pulling all light patterns into the inspectorates scrutiny. Should be interesting.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530D Sport E61

Originally Posted by gbjules' post='869681' date='May 6 2009, 01:39 PM
My understanding is that its not just the wiring harness that would need to be changed for a true plug and play. BMW do make this plug and play retrofit but it is silly money.

Most people who have sucessfully retrofitted Xenons have done some "adjustments" to the headlight unit and wiring harness.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Members

I have spoken to a number of dealers about this, and although this kit shows on their
system,it is not actually available. According to a bmw callout technician, the software is also not around to code
the changes as they tried to retro fit themselves and couldn't make it work, so a decision was made that it
wasn't worth the investment as the E60 was an outgoing model. To purchase all the parts required from your dealer,
including washer and self levelling is actually cheaper than the original kit, but, ofcourse it is useless without the codeing!