E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

So,

For those of you who have read and heard about all of my ongoing issues or vibration, resonance, etc. that I feel throughout my car, it turns out that my H&R Sports combined with my insufficiently cut bump stops were the true, one and only cause.

I just got back from the dealership, due to even more, increasing vibrations, etc. While up on the rack, looking at my front struts and springs, it turns out that I have ZERO clearance or travel left in my struts as a result of the lowering springs....even with my bump-stops cut in front by almost 1/2. There's about 1.75" left on the front stops. My car's suspension is actually riding on the bump-stops, with zero ability for strut travel...possibly due to further spring sagging and/or strut wear since the July '07 install. So, all of that bottoming out that I feel is indeed just that...BOTTOM!

My tires and the bump-stops are the only suspension that I basically have at this point. You could see marks from the lip of the bottom section of the strut housing making contact with the top of the camber plate area....where he said there should be no marks. My accordion-like boot is totally compressed, and the bump stops themselves look pretty compressed as well (what's left of them), which you'd expect, considering. It's basically like driving with no struts at this point, just springs. And, I hope the struts aren't damaged because now I have a choice to make:

1) Swap out back to my OEM springs and ride on my 17" wheels like a dork and have zero enjoyment, but a smooth, nice ride?

.....or......

2) Do I say, "F&*# it. It's a lease" and just deal with the bumpy, bouncy, harsh ride and ongoing vibrations so I can use my 19" rims this Summer, risk blowing out my struts or worse? But at least I will LOOK GOOD! And then I can put my OEM springs back on late Fall (assuming I make it till then), and be done with it.

Isn't it better to look good than feel good? My lease isn't up till November of 2009. That's a long time to be riding around on 17's like an SUV, if I change back to OEM. I don't want to buy more wheels, so for those of you thinking, "Get 18" 124's!" Forget it! I might have some 19" CSL's for sale real soon which, by the way, were perfectly rebalanced today.

What would you guys do given my dilemma?

P.S. There are no coilovers available for the xi, for those of you thinking of giving that advice.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Wow...that sucks! My car hasn't had any issues at all. I'm wondering if the place that installed your springs completely screwed up the install?

Really sorry to hear about this Dave. That totally blows.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='552332' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:21 PM
Wow...that sucks! My car hasn't had any issues at all. I'm wondering if the place that installed your springs completely screwed up the install?

Really sorry to hear about this Dave. That totally blows.
My Dinan mechanic (who's great) says the springs are installed "correctly" but that fact isn't the issue. It's the lack of strut travel as a result of springs not meant for these struts. SUCKS!

What would happen if I removed the stops all together? I'd gain an inch or so back. Aside from potentially killing myself from a highway blowout!?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='552337' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:26 PM
My Dinan mechanic (who's great) says the springs are installed "correctly" but that fact isn't the issue. It's the lack of strut travel as a result of springs not meant for these struts. SUCKS!

What would happen if I removed the stops all together? I'd gain an inch or so back. Aside from potentially killing myself from a highway blowout!?
That's odd...I'm not having those issues. I just PM'ed KU530 and Bambi to ask them if they are experiencing this. They too, have the xi springs on their cars as well.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:48 AM
Senior Members

probably cause he doesnt have the sport package struts? C's your sig says sport pack, he didnt list it? Dr. do you have sport package?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer' post='552344' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:38 PM
That's odd...I'm not having those issues. I just PM'ed KU530 and Bambi to ask them if they are experiencing this. They too, have the xi springs on their cars as well.
This may sound obvious, but my Dinan mechanic stated that the "bounce effect" (in most cases) is from the struts having no room to travel, especially in my case. As a result, the force of the wheels hitting the roads and expansion joints is transferred directly through the strut into the car's front-end/frame itself, hence the momentum pushes the entire car up, instead of just the strut. And that is the bounce we feel with these springs. Makes sense to me....
Old 03-28-2008, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy' post='552351' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:48 PM
probably cause he doesnt have the sport package struts? C's your sig says sport pack, he didnt list it? Dr. do you have sport package?
The Sport package on the XI has nothing to do with the suspension or performance...only other options associated with a Sport Steering wheel, shadowline, etc.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:08 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 525iEnjoy' post='552351' date='Mar 28 2008, 02:48 PM
The suspension in the xi (sport or not) is the same. The Sport Package on the xi gives you the following:
  • 20-Way Multi-Contour seats
  • Shadowline trim
  • 3 Spoke Sports leather steering wheel
  • 18" Light-alloy wheels Star Spoke (style 123)

What I don't get, even with the Sport Pack, is:
  • Active Roll Stabilization (ARS)
  • Sport suspension

So in reality, our cars struts and springs that come stock, are the same. It's just odd that none of the other xi members who've had this mod done have experienced this issue.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:11 AM
Senior Members

Even though the install was right any chance the rears were put in the front and viceversa?

C's

i dont see many xi's around in Socal. LOL Whats snow?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:39 AM
Contributors

Anyone ever ride around with the bump stops completely removed?

I'd get back another inch or more of strut. I was thinking that I could do that for just the Summer and then re-install my OEM springs in October, with new OEM bumps stops. I'd just have to be careful not to hit any major faults on the road or it could be a disaster. The way I figure, how much cushion does 1 inch of foam really give me anyway? I am sure the car is still bottoming out WITH them, so why not remove them totally?

Quick Reply: Why NOT to install Lowering Springs only...