E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

What do you think of E60 M5 Replicas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Modding cars is fun and yours looks awesome, really I like it. But in terms of value you are killing the book value of the car. A dealer would never touch it or give you MUCH LESS than the book value of a stock 530i. I struggle with how much to mod my cars because I know I am going to move on at some point and want to retain maximum value.

I had an 06 M3 before my E60, it had Dinan suspension, 3:91 gears, Borla exhaust. I ALWAYS keep my OEM parts. All of it had to come off and the car put back to stock before I traded it.

There is always the odd chance that you can find someone privately who will appreciate the car but IMO you will be damn lucky to get normal book value for your year and model. Europeans seem much more accepting of modifications, especially body work. Some dealers even offer non OEM body kits to be installed before you pick up the car. Not so here in the US. People want OEM.

US dealers are no help here, any prospective buyer who brings the car to a BMW dealer for inspection will be told to stay away. My .02
Old 04-30-2008, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Talking

Originally Posted by mhs525' post='571570' date='Apr 30 2008, 12:44 PM
Modding cars is fun and yours looks awesome, really I like it. But in terms of value you are killing the book value of the car. A dealer would never touch it or give you MUCH LESS than the book value of a stock 530i. I struggle with how much to mod my cars because I know I am going to move on at some point and want to retain maximum value.

I had an 06 M3 before my E60, it had Dinan suspension, 3:91 gears, Borla exhaust. I ALWAYS keep my OEM parts. All of it had to come off and the car put back to stock before I traded it.

There is always the odd chance that you can find someone privately who will appreciate the car but IMO you will be damn lucky to get normal book value for your year and model. Europeans seem much more accepting of modifications, especially body work. Some dealers even offer non OEM body kits to be installed before you pick up the car. Not so here in the US. People want OEM.

US dealers are no help here, any prospective buyer who brings the car to a BMW dealer for inspection will be told to stay away. My .02
====================

Hello 'mhs525',

Thanks for your complements and your thoughts, and I was afraid of that before I began this E60 M5 Replica project, but its just turned into a hobby, and when I do sell it, I might try to fine an special Southern Florida or Scottsdale Arizonia auctions for fine exotic cars, or BMW OEM replicas and try find someone to take it off my hands that way for a little something extra $$$, meanwhile I will just try to enjoy it.

You would not believe that looks I get on the road some giving me a thumbs up, (...and some Benz idiots just smile and give me a bird!!!! LOL not really), but the chicks hitting in me at the car wash and dates I get with them sometimes, when I am cleaning it, makes the $11,000.00 investment well worth it, but when I do get ready to sell it, and if my auction plans fall through, like you I kept all my BMW OEM E60 530i original parts, i.e. rims and tires, mirrors, the front ugly Black stock Grille, etc, and I will try to sell them to e60 forum members and let them have the first right of refusal on the BMW OEM E60 M5 Parts when I trade it one year!

Have a good day, and thanks again!!

Eddie Presley
Old 04-30-2008, 05:13 PM
Senior Members

You got babes hitting on you !!!

I take it all back Where can I have my car done

I wonder how my wife will feel about this...
Old 05-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Members

My Ride: * 2010 BMW 528i M Sport * 2010 BMW X5 M Blue * 2004 BMW 530i Sport, Silver Gray * 2004 BMW 530i Sport, Black Sapphire, Auburn Dakota Leather. * 2006 530I Monaco Blue / Grey, M-Tech Front and M5 rear bumper and side skirts. M5 lip spoiler. M5 166M wheels.

Eddie,
Do whatever makes you happy!!
The happiness is state of mind and we all trying to reach this state in different ways. People like us spend money on cars. Nothing wrong with that right..As long we can afford it and we still can..
Thing about it: How many hours per day you spend in your car ? That's part of your good live.
Some things we do, don't have a logical explanation and can't be measure with $$ value, but that the price we pay to feel good for this same state of mind.

Regards,
Georgio

PS:Last week I purchased a Remus from Bav Auto ($821 shipped to MA)

Originally Posted by Presley348' post='570601' date='Apr 29 2008, 02:42 AM
Dear e60 Forum,

I am a die hard BMW E60 owner, and I am always doing new things with my BMW E60 530i that still gets 27city and 34highway mpg, I noticed in the UK there is a company that builds and sells BMW E60 M5s Replicas, made from any of the 5 series models, but one I noticed their mainly using the 525i's, and it gave me the idea of building one myself but using my 530i. Now of course before I get to much money spent $$$$$ I just wonder what it will be worth once completed, for a true M5 Replica package, The Package so far has cost me approx: $11,000.00 which included $5000.00 for M5 166 rims and tires. Its built on the E60 530i with majority of BMW OEM M5 parts for exterior appearance, which I lack three things, that I know of: 1) Rear M5 spoiler, 2) Gloss BLACK M5 window molding, and 3) BMW OEM E60 M5 mirrors?

I need all you guys opinions and thoughts before I get more into it, and I start working on the interior M5 speed and tachometer, M5 steering wheel, etc.

Thanks in advance!!

R. Eddie Presley