E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Weird tail light behavior any suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird tail light behavior any suggestions

Today I noticed for the first time when I put on the turn signal or hazard my left lci tail light the fog blinks in sync with the turn signal

I have no idea when this started or what could be causing this but I do know that the light didn't have this problem before

I did no recent coding to the car
Today I washed the car
I installed led license plate lights in the trunk

I can't think of any connection between that and my recent light troubles

So far I've removed the light rear bulb panel on the left tail and reinstalled it to no avail
I've also unplugged the light and plugged it back in

Has anyone ever heard of something like this happening with their cars and any one have any suggestions for me on how to fix it?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your ground connection is bad. It's possible you have the same issue like here: https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-117069/page2/
Old 03-31-2013, 05:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for response cosmin I read through the thread and I see you experienced this problem before. Like you my fog is set to come on when I brake sort of like a Ricky effect and since I didn't use Bruce cables to achieve this I had to code out tail lamp errors so I haven't been getting any warnings on the I drive. After reading I understand by design flaw how the fog causes more of a power draw and eventually leads to an overheating issue so I see how my problem may be related but I was Wondering because I've yet to go out and examine my light for signs of burning or melting. how do you assume that this might the reason why my fog blinks when my signal is on ? Is this one of the symptoms of the ground wire failure? Because no one in the entire thread mentioned that was happening to them all they complained about was the I drive errors

EDIT

I went out and checked out the car for signs of the burning and melting I didn't discover any damage. Even though there are no signs of damage is there still a chance of ground wire failure? and also would ground wire failure be the cause of the fog blinking in sync with the turn signal. my next option is to swap the rear electrical panel of the tail with one from my friends car and see if the problem still persist but until then I'm still open to suggestions
Attached Thumbnails Weird tail light behavior any suggestions-imag0885.jpg   Weird tail light behavior any suggestions-imag0886.jpg  

Last edited by spediegunz; 03-31-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

wow that is odd. i havent heard of this type of issue before. i wish i could help man...
Old 04-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Indeed your connectors are ok.
But as i said, you have a ground problem at the left tail.

You must measure the ground wire or even better... the ground presence on your electrical panel of the tail.
And yes, this behaviour is normal in case of ground failure.
The current follows the shortest route if the ground connection is bad or missing. In your case through the filament of the fog bulb.

Last edited by C_o_s_m_i_n; 04-01-2013 at 06:33 AM.