E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LCI taillight wire burnt out. Caused mild damage

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:07 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by best1
The new plug was green where the original part was black. Maybe an improved part.
Green/Blue means spare part
Black means original factory fitted

Also the LCI and pre-LCI bulb holders are indeed available as spares but are NOT interchangeable.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-Sport: RPi GT Exhaust, RPi Ram-Air, GP Thunder angel eyes and fog lamps, LED license plate lamps, Full LED interior

I JUST went through this same thing. I was getting intermittent warnings about rear left blinker (which are LED), reverse lamp, and brake lamp malfunctions. Took it in and they said the wire was melted and replaced it all the way from the front of the car (?).

But she also said this is a common issue and there was probably going to be a TSA or recall on them soon.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

OK I haven't received any tail light warnings, but I am thinking about having a look back there and making sure all is ok. I am assuming all of this is directly at the plug connection to the light..? I know my brother in-law has a 3 series E46 and had a similar problem where the pin inside the socket was damaged and we ordered new pins and a socket for a few buck and replace it. I hear that a standard bulb that one would buy at a parts store can cause this and we should replace them with the bulbs that are sold at the dealers... Not sure if that holds any water, but I am willing to do this just to be cautious. After seeing what happen and what COULD have potentially happened to the car it was kinda scary. Not interested in having BBQ BMW for dinner anytime soon...
Old 09-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 528I Sport/Prem

Here are the pics of the carnage. Note to everyone: this problem is extremely annoying. You get up to 3 individual warnings on your idrive for this problem. I cant wait to get this fixed

Turn Signal Malfunction
Reverse Light Malfunction
Right Tail Lamp Malfunction

DING DING DING

Originally Posted by best1
Same problem with mine but i caught it before the housing was ruined. The ground wire seemed to get hot and melt the plastic plug around the wire. I replaced the wiring junction plug that plugs into the back of the bulb holder. The BMW dealer quoted me $200 to fix it in January 2011. I spent $5. no problems so far. The new plug was green where the original part was black. Maybe an improved part.
Please direct me on how to get a new plug. I'd greatly appreciate it

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Same thing happened to me but it melted the housing and burnt the trunk area where the light is. It ruined the taillight for good. Luckily I was in warranty and it was a 4 hour labor job. My SA also had them change my brakes LOL. I enjoyed dealer amenities while they did a $2500 job for free.
Luckyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy LOL

Originally Posted by mestes1999
I JUST went through this same thing. I was getting intermittent warnings about rear left blinker (which are LED), reverse lamp, and brake lamp malfunctions. Took it in and they said the wire was melted and replaced it all the way from the front of the car (?).

But she also said this is a common issue and there was probably going to be a TSA or recall on them soon.
Wow, appears that this happens more often than I thought
Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Senior Members

I ordered the bulb holder from my dealer. It was only $36. Shocked to hear it was so cheap. Now I just need the plug
Old 09-15-2011, 09:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

You should be able to get the plug and the pin recievers that go inside the plug to make this back like it's supposed to be. When we orderd the parts for the E46 this is what we got and a new back cover.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Holy crap that's some damage
Old 09-15-2011, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i

you can also get it cheaper on koperformance.com, $36 bucks the last time i checked, just list your car, and the part is under light, called taillight bulb carrier
Old 09-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
You should be able to get the plug and the pin recievers that go inside the plug to make this back like it's supposed to be. When we orderd the parts for the E46 this is what we got and a new back cover.
Thanks. I ordered the plug for $7 (in stock picking it up after work)
The pin was expensive $3. Oh well, might as well do it right.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by luigi524td
I see your car is an '08 ...even if out of warranty and you choose to fix it on your own that failure should be brought to the attention of your BMW dealer and BMWNA.

If not that, I'd take lots of pictures and notify the NHTSA. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
This is not an LCI issue. It is a BMW issue. It happened on my E46 and it also happened to a member here, several years ago. When I searched the E46 forums, I found a technical bulletin on how the dealer fixes it. They wanted over $200 to fix a problem caused by them because of insufficient ground path in the rear light assembly. I did the work myself for about $30 parts bought from the dealer and posted the fix here because another member was experiencing problems back there. Sure enough, he looked at the rear light assembly and had the same melted wires and connector issue. I just did a search for that post but couldn't find it.

Unfortunately, complaining to NHTSA won't work as they seem to be in bed with BMW.

Originally Posted by mestes1999
Maybe a TSA, but don't hold your breath on the recall. You will have to pay with your hard-earned cash for their design mistake.

Quick Reply: LCI taillight wire burnt out. Caused mild damage