E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

VF Engineering supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='502652' date='Dec 4 2007, 02:32 PM
This is the point of my question. The next question is, "Why the camshaft?"
If I'm understanding the comparison link in my earlier post correctly, it looks like with a root supercharger, the compression occurs in the engine (as in between the supercharger and the cams/top end). Woth the centrifigal, though, it sounds like it compresses it internally and then passes it to the engine.

Not exactly sure how this can be though, but it could be that since the centrifigal does this internally, it acts as a buffer and relieves some stress/pressure off the cams.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by ramyar' post='502674' date='Dec 4 2007, 06:14 PM
If I'm understanding the comparison link in my earlier post correctly, it looks like with a root supercharger, the compression occurs in the engine (as in between the supercharger and the cams/top end). Woth the centrifigal, though, it sounds like it compresses it internally and then passes it to the engine.

Not exactly sure how this can be though, but it could be that since the centrifigal does this internally, it acts as a buffer and relieves some stress/pressure off the cams.
The centrifugal will compress "in the engine" as well. All it does is push air. A positive displacement supercharger does produce more boost at low rpm, as air cannot flow backwards through it. A centrifugal unit is not efficient at low rpm. The part that does not make sense is the camshaft. All it does is open and close the valves. Pressure an the back side of the valves would tend to open them, easing pressure on the cam. I might be missing something, but this doesn't seem to pass the smell test.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, BMW Stainless Steel Pedals, #166 Rims

Originally Posted by asickmf' post='502576' date='Dec 4 2007, 12:41 PM
aren't all superchargers and even turbos air pumps? they increase the amount of air pumped into the engine. so, how could one be worse than the other?
On a turbo and centrifical superchanger the air is compressed outside the engine and then put into the engine. A root style superchanger the air is compressed on the inside. I hope that makes sense. I can try to make it clearer I just do not want to put in a whole bunch of tech stuff up, and prefer to explain it in simple terms.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sirch' post='502738' date='Dec 4 2007, 08:40 PM
On a turbo and centrifical superchanger the air is compressed outside the engine and then put into the engine. A root style superchanger the air is compressed on the inside. I hope that makes sense. I can try to make it clearer I just do not want to put in a whole bunch of tech stuff up, and prefer to explain it in simple terms.
No, that makes no sense whatsoever. The supercharger pumps air into the intake plenum faster than the engine consumes it. Whether the supercharger is bolted to the intake manifold, bolted to the alternator bracket, or connected by a long hose 100 yards from the engine won't change this fact. (That's 92.3 meters for those outside the USA.) All a supercharger is an air pump. If you think it is an issue with charge cooling, positive displacement blowers can be plumbed into aftercoolers in the same manner as the other varieties.

Please feel free to post technical jargon as to why one model is rather more adept at eating cams than the other. I feel I have a sufficient number of postgraduate degrees in engineering to absorb it.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Members

Originally Posted by iversonm' post='502768' date='Dec 4 2007, 07:02 PM
No, that makes no sense whatsoever. The supercharger pumps air into the intake plenum faster than the engine consumes it. Whether the supercharger is bolted to the intake manifold, bolted to the alternator bracket, or connected by a long hose 100 yards from the engine won't change this fact. (That's 92.3 meters for those outside the USA.) All a supercharger is an air pump. If you think it is an issue with charge cooling, positive displacement blowers can be plumbed into aftercoolers in the same manner as the other varieties.

Please feel free to post technical jargon as to why one model is rather more adept at eating cams than the other. I feel I have a sufficient number of postgraduate degrees in engineering to absorb it.
It doesn't completely sink in with me either, but what I can infer from the explanations I've read are:
1. forced induction does indeed "blow air" into the engine, regardless of whether it is a root, screw, or centrifugal (or even a turbo)
2. regardless of the type, there is pressure on the engine side of the forced induction device

I think the difference is how that pressure is delivered. It sounds like with centrifugal, it is pressurized within the supercharger and then delivered/pumped/blown (whatever word we'd prefer to use) into the engine. Whereas, with the root it is delivered directly to the engine. This difference seems to mean that with the centrifugal, there is a buffer (the supercharger itself is the primary pressurizing chamber) and therefore the boost is more regulated than if it is just dumped directly into the engine (as with root the lead between the supercharge and the engine is the primary and only pressurizing chamber). This would suggest the overall delivery of the air is smoother with the centrifugal.

Either way, I don't really see how the cams will undergo much more stress at a measly 6-9psi. Perhaps this is more of an issue with very high boost as in racing/towing/hauling applications.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i, jet black/black dakota, sport package, steptronic, L7, comfort access, rear sunshade, front heated seats, navigation, satellite radio also have 2006 Dodge Sprinter

Originally Posted by ramyar' post='502642' date='Dec 4 2007, 02:16 PM
i'm more worried about paying for 20" p-zero neros at $435 a whack than camshafts.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ramyar' post='502834' date='Dec 5 2007, 01:42 AM
It doesn't completely sink in with me either, but what I can infer from the explanations I've read are:
1. forced induction does indeed "blow air" into the engine, regardless of whether it is a root, screw, or centrifugal (or even a turbo)
2. regardless of the type, there is pressure on the engine side of the forced induction device

I think the difference is how that pressure is delivered. It sounds like with centrifugal, it is pressurized within the supercharger and then delivered/pumped/blown (whatever word we'd prefer to use) into the engine. Whereas, with the root it is delivered directly to the engine. This difference seems to mean that with the centrifugal, there is a buffer (the supercharger itself is the primary pressurizing chamber) and therefore the boost is more regulated than if it is just dumped directly into the engine (as with root the lead between the supercharge and the engine is the primary and only pressurizing chamber). This would suggest the overall delivery of the air is smoother with the centrifugal.

Either way, I don't really see how the cams will undergo much more stress at a measly 6-9psi. Perhaps this is more of an issue with very high boost as in racing/towing/hauling applications.
Thanks for trying to clarify argument, but it still does not hold water in my mind. The "pressurizing chamber" is the space between the supercharger and intake valves. The air is not pressurized in the supercharger, it is pumped from one chamber to another. Pressure is created by the fact that the engine uses air slower than the supercharger is moving it into the intake.

The argument about the large plenum is also irrelevant. It indeed may be good to have such a plenum. However, there are centrifugal setups that have but a short pipe to the intake, and there are positive displacement superchargers with extensive aftercooler plumbing, so plenum size is not a related to supercharger type. There's also no real reason you couldn't fit a centrifugal unit in the valley of a V-8 engine for that matter. I suspect such a large plenum would tend to create significant throttle lag, As it would take more time to pressurize a larger volume.

Centrifugal units are inefficient at low rpm, so they generate comparatively less boost at low speeds. Perhaps this is what the poster that brought up the topic was referring to.

However, all of this discussion is waste, as I was asking for a reasoned argument on how any of this is bad for the camshafts. I'm still waiting, and I suspect that won't change anytime soon.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:51 PM
Members

I need this for my 530I 2004 E60. Will it work?

Thanks,

Ken
Old 01-07-2008, 11:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by keynon' post='514836' date='Jan 7 2008, 11:51 PM
I need this for my 530I 2004 E60. Will it work?

Thanks,

Ken

Search for messages by this member :
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showuser=2635