E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Very close on my dension but......

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545/6

Originally Posted by madfox' post='816285' date='Mar 13 2009, 10:41 PM
After going back and re-reading as much as I could stand on the Dension, with my set-up (single slot text capable in dash unit w no nav) I need to have the ipod interface in order to get text. So my question is do I need the entire part or do I just need the car programmed for the ipod interface? If I am on the wrong track (wouldn't be the first time today) somebody point me in the right direction.
you need to have the car coded for the factory ipod interface. if you can find a dealer that will do it, that's the way to go; the dension will act as the factory unit when plugged up to the progman (with the switch on the aux in cluster in the correct down position, of course) so if the dealer is willing you won't have any issues.

if not, look for an independent that has an autologic unit and let them do the retrofit coding.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:12 AM
Members

I am at the dealership and I just had the interface installed and it is worse then before. Before I came here, I could hear music from the ipod but could not control it with the idrive(dip 2 up all the rest down). Now CD slot 5 and 6 will light up but I get no music regardless how I configure the dip switches. I hit the reset button on the aux control and the ipod does not play music, but it still charges. I don't even get the dension information on the ipod that displayed before the integration. The cdc still works. Please, please, somebody please chime in and help me fix what seems to be a money pit. Could the interface not have took, but they still charged me anyway. Of course, I don't have a way of verifying the program is on there. I doubt another dealer is just going to volunteer the resources. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The dealer confirmed I have the M-ASk unit. Single slot MP-3 text capable Cd player w/cdc. I though I hit all the chech marks. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

Try PM Fantastic5...he sells and and has some knowledge on the install.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:00 PM
Members

I went back and checked my connections and the dealership had moved the ipod to the non-ipod slot. They said they had to "mess with it" in order to get the car to take the program. So I can now play music again through the ipod but I still don't have control with the idrive and I don't have text.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by 545felix' post='816570' date='Mar 14 2009, 04:46 PM
you need to have the car coded for the factory ipod interface. if you can find a dealer that will do it, that's the way to go; the dension will act as the factory unit when plugged up to the progman (with the switch on the aux in cluster in the correct down position, of course) so if the dealer is willing you won't have any issues.

if not, look for an independent that has an autologic unit and let them do the retrofit coding.

You didn't need the iPOD interface programmed if you already had CDC. Programming of the iPOD is only required for those wanting to install the Dension but who didn't have the CDC in the first place. The problem is the BMW iPOD interface is either or with the CDC, you cannot have both. But with the Dension you can have the CDC plugged in too. I'm actually wondering if your MOST network is now confused as to what is plugged in, because its looking for the OEM iPOD but finds the Dension, so far OK but then its probably finding the CDC too and gives up.

Have you tried talking to Dension support. They are normally good.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by madfox' post='825511' date='Mar 24 2009, 07:12 PM
I am at the dealership and I just had the interface installed and it is worse then before. Before I came here, I could hear music from the ipod but could not control it with the idrive(dip 2 up all the rest down). Now CD slot 5 and 6 will light up but I get no music regardless how I configure the dip switches. I hit the reset button on the aux control and the ipod does not play music, but it still charges. I don't even get the dension information on the ipod that displayed before the integration. The cdc still works. Please, please, somebody please chime in and help me fix what seems to be a money pit. Could the interface not have took, but they still charged me anyway. Of course, I don't have a way of verifying the program is on there. I doubt another dealer is just going to volunteer the resources. ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The dealer confirmed I have the M-ASk unit. Single slot MP-3 text capable Cd player w/cdc. I though I hit all the chech marks. Thanks in advance.
First, if you have CDC installed and also you have MP3 capability, there's no need to program the car for Dension.
If you do not have CDC, then you should enable iPod capability (the BMW diag computer cannot tell the difference between factory iPod interface and Gateway 500).

In your case the programming was done, ok it was useless, but no problem with that.

"Now CD slot 5 and 6 will light up but I get no music"
That sounds very good. In AUX mode these two discs should be active. What do you see on Disc 5? AUX GW?
Try to remove iPod and reconnect.
You can also try to reset the iPod.
Are you using the latest Dension firmware?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='825604' date='Mar 24 2009, 05:03 PM
You didn't need the iPOD interface programmed if you already had CDC. Programming of the iPOD is only required for those wanting to install the Dension but who didn't have the CDC in the first place. The problem is the BMW iPOD interface is either or with the CDC, you cannot have both. But with the Dension you can have the CDC plugged in too. I'm actually wondering if your MOST network is now confused as to what is plugged in, because its looking for the OEM iPOD but finds the Dension, so far OK but then its probably finding the CDC too and gives up.

Have you tried talking to Dension support. They are normally good.

So Bruce, are you saying that if you have a CDC, there's nothing else needed to be done? I'm asking because I've heard so many different stories about this, and I'm just trying to get the correct info.

I have a CDC, but do not have mp3 capability on my indash CD player. I do not have NAV. So, if I got the Dension, and connected to my current setup, should it worK? My car is an 05 545, build date is 11/04.

Thanks for the info.

Mitch