E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Upgrade idrive controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:55 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e90 and e60

Hello i have updated the ccc full with winkfp with opps but the controller old and news don't work ! All module are updated . Please help me
Old 07-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Chris11
Hello i would like reprog my cgate for the cic controler but when i see the zusb in my ccc , is start 916xxxx for application , cgate , radio , ask, and ccc. Winkfp use 918xxxx or 919xxxx . The ccc is a retrofit (my car is e60 2008 and the ccc e63 2007) i can program the cgate for 919xxxx for work the controller ? Or is risked ?
Any luck yet? with winkfp you are not updating the ccc you are specifically updating the cgate the directions are straight forward. Don't go searching for modules just from comfort mode hit enter zusb only that 9185636 number should be entered in for the zusb at which point you would choose between two numbers the other is for the non cic controller and the one you should choose is cc6260.

If you successfully did that correctly and it's still not working my next question would be is it wired correctly did you do the proper modifications shown in this thread if so does it light up and not work ?

After you have changed the firmware for the controller the old one won't work unless you reflash back to that other number I mentioned earlier. You would have to put the wires back to the right pins as well. If you did everything correctly and it's still not working you may have to consider that the controller you purchased might not be compatible with your car or just defective it has been documented to happen to a small amount of people in the past.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:32 AM
New Members

My Ride: e90 and e60

hello i resolved my problem ! the controller not work because the ccc is not full update
(the last update is 2007 916xxx) only change cgate don't work , i update full the ccc with opps and work with the controler idrive 2
the old controler don't work because the cgate 636 work only with the new controler
for the old is 627
thanks for help : D
Old 07-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Chris11
hello i resolved my problem ! the controller not work because the ccc is not full update
(the last update is 2007 916xxx) only change cgate don't work , i update full the ccc with opps and work with the controler idrive 2
the old controler don't work because the cgate 636 work only with the new controler
for the old is 627
thanks for help : D
ah ok yeah they didn't start putting those controller into cars until 2008 so yes if 2007 was the last time your ccc was updated it wouldn't for sure work glad you figured it out good job.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 2004 530d
Default CIC retrofit for 03 530d business NAV

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda
If your GPS is business then you dont have ccc but the older mask and in that case the controller wont work.
Sorry, but this is very confusing. I have read many treats and was sure I could do the CIC upgrade with new controller. Do you say that cars like mine - 2003 with Navigation business the controller would not work? Does it mean that the old controller will work on a CIC retrofit or will not CIC retrofit be an option at all?

On my car the main unit is broken and I am on my way to do a CIC retrofit. In the specification on the old controller which the bmw dealer looked at he gave me an offer to replace it was called CCC (which by the way was extremely expensive)

Thx for any help guys

EDITED: Ok, understand now - I have a M-ask unit and CCC is only for Professional. The new controller should work ( I hope)

Last edited by NorwayThor; 07-15-2013 at 03:07 AM. Reason: found the solution
Old 12-06-2013, 01:03 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In order to keep everything relevant to a retrofit I would like to ask something.

I retrofitted the Prof Nav in my car and I'm using the old controller, so I coded the ZBE to LOW, but now I see the LOW_WITH_SLOPES option and I'm curious what it will do.

Now my shortcuts are not working (e.g. if I hold the controller to the left for few seconds doesn't bring the CLIMATE, it stays where it is, and before the retrofit those shortcuts were working).

My question is would the LOW_WITH_SLOPES option help me somehow or it won't make any difference?

P.S. I'm talking about a pre LCI car, '05, the car which was the CCC donor was also pre LCI but '06, I think.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:58 AM
New Members

My Ride: bmw e60 520 2008
Default Help

Hi!

I have E60 2008/05 with CCC the car is updated one week ago in a bmw dealer with latest update

I want the CIC controller, what does it take to have in installed? Only installing the Controller and change the wires or does it need the update from WIN** ?
Old 03-25-2016, 03:32 PM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535XI
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by Sublime
I wouldn't. Sounds risky to me - the supply of voltage needs to be continual, and even a second battery cannot provide the needed level of consistency.

Just for giggles when I was fixing my CCC today I tried updating the CGATE with the engine running, it failed as I knew it would - but I had to know for sure since some advice dispensed about coding falls heavily on the ultra-conservative side. But this seems to be a pretty low-risk update because even after failing two updates (one because the engine was running and the other due to the wrong ZUSB and a failing hard drive) I was able to salvage the CCC and it is working perfectly.

You don't really have to learn WinKFP, you just have to be good at following directions. The hardest part for me when I first started with the program was importing the assembly line data correctly. Once you get ECU's showing in the list when you select choose ZUSB in comfort mode, you are basically ready to go if your installation and interface are configured properly.

I know I already laid out the basics of the update, but since I did it twice today I will write it out again: (this guide assumes you have correctly imported the needed data into WinKFP)

Make sure you car is in Key On Ignition Off mode with the warning lights illuminated on the dash

Open WinKFP and allow it to ready itself, you'll see the program window get smaller and with most installations the menu options change from German to English.

Choose comfort mode.

Choose enter ZUSB and for E60 you will enter 9185636

Once you kit OK, make sure the first menu in the window that pops up also has CC6360 selected as the ECU family

Hit OK, then click Done

If you get the 7006 PABD EUC address error, this means your interface is not correctly configured. Check your installation and EDIABAS.INI to fix that

If all goes well, you'll see the option to Program present in the new screen. F7 if memory serves

Hit program and OK the pop-up telling you the ECU can be programmed 1 time, it's a lie

You'll see the progress bar quickly shoot to 100%, then the CCC will shut off except for the lights on the face of it

The progress bar will now slowly creep back up to 100%, and once it gets there it will seem to freeze, the CCC will turn back on, your music will play but do not touch the controls - it isn't done

Let it sit, and sit....and eventually you will see the same pop-up as before telling you the ECU can be programmed 1 time, click OK

The CCC will turn off again and it is at this point you may notice errors on the iDrive like ABS and possibly others, ignore them

The progress bar will again go to 100%, just as slow, maybe faster depending on your hardware

The CCC may turn on and off a few times during this process, and once 100% is reached for the second long wait, WinKFP will appear to freeze again

Wait and wait, pace around the car a bit like I do

Eventually a pop up telling you that the programming is successful will pop up and you are done

I found it necessary on both CCC's I've successfully updated to let them go to sleep right afterwards to enable the new functionality of the CIC controller

Close the doors lock it and let it sit for 10 minutes or so, if you have comfort access make sure the key is a few car-lengths from the car

Plug in the CIC controller and if you do not have immediate functionality, go into NCSExpert

In almost any profile but expertmode, read the CAPPL

Open FSW_PSW.MAN and look for ZBE

Make sure it is set to low or low_with_slopes (I have seen these both needed in individual circumstances)

Code the CAPPL with the proper ZBE settings and if all went well, you're done!

Got CIC controller on CCC thanks to your instructions..

Thank you very much.
Old 05-27-2018, 03:25 AM
New Members

My Ride: E61 530i touring LPG
Model Year: 2006
Angry

Hi guys,

I'm rather new to this topic.
My daily driver is an E61 530i from 03/2006 with the old SA609 Navigation System Professional (CCC) and the 1-button force feedback controller.

I've bought a used CIC Controller part no 9249439.
All changes in the car have been done incl. the re-pinning from the big old connector to the 4-pin connector (+, -, CAN-H, CAN-L)

When starting the car, the CCC display starts up and switches over to the radio.
Unfortunately the controller doesn't work, neither the wheel nor any button.

In the following a BMW tree of CIC controller history of the 5-series, newest is 9334611. My controller is the third from the top, so my assupmption was it should fit as well:

This is the software level of the car, latest updated version is 09/2008 ("E060-08-09-530"):

Questions:
  1. Does this controller work in this car or ist there a modification of the controller's software required?
  2. Anything else missing or has to be coded?
Any help appreciated, as I don't want to restore to the old controller.

Last edited by RobbiZ4; 05-27-2018 at 03:28 AM.