E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Update on DPE's and a sub par tire work at Wheel Techniques Santa

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545 modded the F out

**** That's Wheel Techniques Santa Clara Btw*****
So I was supposed to pick up the wheels last Saturday and my the guy who handles most of the front desk work said I they were having issues getting the bead to seal so I said to take their time and I'll follow up later in the week. After several follow ups I finally spoke with one of the owners on the phone while David was out and he said that it might work out better if another shop could put on the wheels because they were not having any luck at all at properly seating the beads. I agreed as long as the amount tendered at pickup was adjusted due to an incomplete job. They said that was fine and I went on my way to pick them up.

When I got there and inspected the first wheel I was already disappointed as we agreed for the surrounding rivets to be powder coated gloss black. As you can see in the pictures they are not. That too was adjusted off of the initial price that I was quoted in my original invoice. After giving a quick look at the wheels with David I got a chance to speak with one of the owners as well as one of their tire guys who had been the one who supposedly had so many issues with the tires. He pretty much told me the same story? "i don't know why it's not seating?.tried this? tired that? just no luck." He even marked the areas with a yellow paint pen where the tires would leak so the next shop could get a general idea. There wasn't much I could do to further inspect the wheels so I paid them my balance after all the adjustments were made and then I went on my way .

I ended up taking the wheels and tires to Auto RnD in Fremont off of Automall Parkway. Rishie and his team there are a bunch of great guys. They weren't as swamped with work like wheel techniques was, but I trust that even if they were I would have still received great customer service. Upon inspection of the wheels and tires Rishie and his master technician discovered exactly why the wheels were not beading up. The bead was literally shredded and a huge chunk was missing in one of the rear tires. The other tire that they had issues with had no visible damage, but one could only assume that the wheel was mishandled judging by the condition of the damaged one.

While I am not blaming Wheel Techniques as the culprit for why the tires are mishandled I find it extremely hard to believe that they would not call me, the owner, and notify me of the "existing damages" once they dismounted the tires and saw the VERY OBVIOUS chunk of tire missing. There also appears to be bead sealant on just the area where the leak was at, which seems a little suspect, but again I am not pointing fingers and all I want is for us to come to a mutual agreement so that I'm not out 420 bucks on the cost of 2 new tires. I'm hoping we can handle the situation with no hiccups as those guys at Wheel Techniques seemed good to go at face value.

Here's some photos of the Damages of the tires and the 2 wheels and tires I was able to take home. I'm not that happy that the rivets are not black as I asked. I gotta Mcagyver something.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

dang that sucks! i hope you get the money back you deserve JR!
Old 03-06-2012, 11:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

the missing chunk wouldnt have mattered as much if you didnt stretch the tire that much. plus low profile tires like that can be a bitch to mount and dismount, and damage may occur, especially depending on what type of tire machine they use.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jasperxli
dang that sucks! i hope you get the money back you deserve JR!
Thanks Jack. David told me to bring the tires in tomorrow and he and his boss will talk it over.

Originally Posted by turboawd
the missing chunk wouldnt have mattered as much if you didnt stretch the tire that much. plus low profile tires like that can be a bitch to mount and dismount, and damage may occur, especially depending on what type of tire machine they use.
Thats the issue here guy. Stretching tires is not a new phenomenon and I understand that it is a bitch to perform the tire work. And are you kidding me? I'm not tire expert but I'm pretty sure that large chunk missing is definitely a problem. What I am displeased with is their inability to deliver services that were promised and potentially choosing to neglect telling me this was there when I picked up the wheels. Again, If I were the one who dismounted the tire and saw that, the first thing I would have done is called the owner to tell him I'm not gonna work on them under these circumstances. One could only assume that it occurred during the process of mount or dismount. Being that the damages are too noticeable to miss I have no other reason not to believe that I was being lied to. But who knows. I guess Imma find out tomorrow.

All I know is that it makes no difference to me how difficult a task is. If you put your service out there and damage a customer's product in the process of performing your job you most certainly are help liable for your actions.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

hey, i feel your pain. its hard to find a good tire shop, and its pretty sad since they only do one thing.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:48 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by turboawd
hey, i feel your pain. its hard to find a good tire shop, and its pretty sad since they only do one thing.
Ehh. Story of my life. I have yet to ever start and finish something without something else getting in the way. Shoot. These wheels were already in perfect condition when Praisethelowered sent last month and thanks to FedEx I couldn't just slap them on. Go figure this had to happen right when I think everything is good to go.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Hang in there bro, it'll happen. Sorry to hear about the situation. Shit happens I guess.

On a positive note, those wheels are gorgeous and I can't wait to see them again on your sick ride. (didn't you already mount them? I recall seeing photos you posted a few weeks back)
Old 03-07-2012, 01:38 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Kaizen
Hang in there bro, it'll happen. Sorry to hear about the situation. Shit happens I guess.

On a positive note, those wheels are gorgeous and I can't wait to see them again on your sick ride. (didn't you already mount them? I recall seeing photos you posted a few weeks back)
Thanks man. I appreciate the compliment. Yea after Fedex came to my house to assess the damages that occurred during shipping I slapped them on for a day just to see how they looked. Drove at least 50 miles on them so I know for a fact that they had no issues holding air prior to the wheels getting dropped off.

Thanks again
Old 03-07-2012, 03:20 AM
Contributors

dammmmmnnn when you texted me about this last night i didnt get a good picture but ya A CHUNK of tire missing is a big problem.

I really hope they own up to it and pay for the improper dismount and remount, its almost like they put waaaaay too much air in it or something.

let me know if i can help, btw still waiting on fedex
Old 03-07-2012, 09:52 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Oh man sorry to hear. Some shops don't have the experience doing a stretched tire but would rather keep trying and trying risking damage than admitting it to the customer.

Quick Reply: Update on DPE's and a sub par tire work at Wheel Techniques Santa