E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Unlucky?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

I've had the E60 530D MSport since late 2009 after selling on E92 325D Msport.

Since then, this is all the work I have had carried out and all at main BMW stealerships:

[1] Turbo and Cat went. One Sunday when I was up in Bradford. RAC towed it into JCT600 and several weeks later ~£2,700 for a new turbo and cat! The cat had sucked oil from the turbo!

[2] Transmission Failure. She went into safe mode. Diagnosed as oil leak by Stratstone Harrogate. New pan fitted and oil on a "lifetime sealed" unit replaced. Cost ~£800. Funny thing is this stealership could not fix the car properly and after taking my £ told me the car was still in safe mode and possibly needed a new metronics unit or even a new gearbox. They let me drive the car back to the midlands as I wanted a second opinion. Driving a car in safe mode for that length of time was very scary and in retrospect I would never do this again. I took it to a local stealership and they told me Stratstone had not plugged in a connector properly! As you can imagine I was not a happy bunny! Local stealership were very helpful, internally billed Stratstone to fix the work.

[3] Light Module failure. Replaced and reprogrammed ~£600

[4] Suspension. Had front control arms and rear joints changed ~£800

[5] Exhaust manifold. Got the dreaded diesel fumes in the car. Diagnosed as cracked EM. Sytner had pleasure in charging me ~£900 for the change.

[6] Inlet manifold. With all the stories on swirl flap issues, I thought with all the luck on my car I should have the revised inlet manifold fitted. I did think about having the car de-flapped. But I have seen potential issues with this. So at least there is a 2 year parts and labour warranty with BMW. I had this done at the same time as the EM. Left the stealership ~£800 lighter.

Anyone else had as much luck with their E60? Shes got around 130,000 on the clock now so she's been round the block a few times. But been told that she's should be able to go around the block a few more times yet!

Also, has anyone ever had any joy with goodwill from BMW? Because they just did not want to know with any of my issues!

Percy
Old 04-17-2011, 01:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '08 530i Luxury LCI

Hm, 130K miles on the clock? If that's the case, those replacement parts are reasonable IMO...
Old 04-17-2011, 03:53 AM
Contributors

I don't think the miles (kms) are all that high but it's possible the previous owner was neglectful about regular maintenance or abused the car in other ways. I don't think BMW or any car manufacturer can be expected to pay for or correct harm done to a car under those circumstances.

If you feel you can prove manufacturer's defect you might have a case. But bent suspension parts, cracked manifolds not likely - the swirl flaps and electronics might be another case ... ... automatic transmissions and lifetime anything - UGH - another BMW misery !