E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Under Car Light as Pathway Lighting

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since I don't have the pathway lighting feature and I don't even have lights in the footwell of my car (weird eh?) I wanted to place LED strips under the car. I do not plan on having these on when I am rolling. The goal with these lights is to turn on when I unlock the car and turn off when I close the car door. Basically to work similar to how the dome lights work. I assume one method would be to re-wire the dome lights by connecting this LED strip.

Any other possible way? Has anyone seen this before? Maybe there is already an LED strip built to work like this and if you have seen it please pass it along.

Thanks!
Old 01-09-2012, 07:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

very possible. i actually have a wiring diagram mapped out in my head as i aim to retrofit lighted door handles (driver & passenger door)...i just haven't gotten around to it yet.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 AM
Contributors

Cool. Glad to hear it is possible. If you ever get around to doing it write up a DIY with pics. hehe

BTW ran some more searches and found some info here...
http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Foot-Area-L...uide-a/207.htm

Looks promising.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i think what im going to do is this:

tap into the footwell lighting & passenger side under dash 12v cig lighter....run the wires thru the firewall....into the door via the mirror assembly wiring harness duct....thru the door and into the handle where i will have the LEDs installed....

sounds easy in my head, but im sure installation will be a sonofabitch lol
Old 01-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Or you could just retrofit footwell lighting as well. Bruce Miranda has a pretty comprehensive DIY he did a few years ago.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d Chip tuning m sport package sport suspension 20" Vertini wheels carbon fiber ipod kit led interior light led angel eyes led side markers

I have pathway light but donīt have footwells, I donīt get it why some people have some lighting and others not...... Are there like optional lighting posibilities?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d Chip tuning m sport package sport suspension 20" Vertini wheels carbon fiber ipod kit led interior light led angel eyes led side markers

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Or you could just retrofit footwell lighting as well. Bruce Miranda has a pretty comprehensive DIY he did a few years ago.
Where the heck can I find Bruce Mirandas DIY??? I canīt find it nowhere....
Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jan jans
Where the heck can I find Bruce Mirandas DIY??? I canīt find it nowhere....
This can be found here:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/375...uk-012006-car/

Here is another DIY but with photos done by another member following the same method:
https://5series.net/forums/topic/854...-installation/
Old 01-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Members

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i, AW

Originally Posted by jan jans
I have pathway light but donīt have footwells, I donīt get it why some people have some lighting and others not...... Are there like optional lighting posibilities?
I did some digging (because i recently upgraded to Bimmian's Ultimate LED interior kit and had 4 modules left over ). What I found out is that on the pre-lci if you have the ambient light package it includes footwell lights.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/369...09#entry392809

so it looks like there is some connection to certain lights and packages and models, etc.

Quick Reply: Under Car Light as Pathway Lighting