E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tyre Change Imminent

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 01:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tonye60' post='264807' date='Apr 5 2006, 02:08 AM
just hab brigestone rft fitted ?143 each

Where from and whats the road noise/comfort levels like?
Old 04-05-2006, 02:55 AM
Senior Members

?154.42 + Vat for Space Saver Kit (include remolded bottom panel bit for boot)

I found Michelin PS2s for ?158 each from mytyres.co.uk

BMW dealer said that for 10 quid a tyre if i brought them down they would fit them.

Problem is that the space saver is going to take upto 7 days to come through...Meaning if i did switch to PS2's id have no spare and im not entirely sure what UK law is regarding that...
Old 04-05-2006, 03:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='264858' date='Apr 5 2006, 11:55 AM

BMW dealer said that for 10 quid a tyre if i brought them down they would fit them.

Problem is that the space saver is going to take upto 7 days to come through...Meaning if i did switch to PS2's id have no spare and im not entirely sure what UK law is regarding that...
The UK law states that IF a spare wheel is present it must be to the correct standard when checked during an MOT (presumably also during a police check), i.e. correct inflation pressure, and a minimum of 1.6mm tread depth across a minimum of three quarters of the central width of the tyre. There is no requirement to carry a spare wheel. The idea is that if there is a spare wheel present you could, at some point, use it and therefore it must be in a fit state. If there is no spare wheel you can't drive away at all, which is never the less still safe.
Old 04-05-2006, 03:23 AM
Senior Members

I seem to be spamming the forum

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 245/40 R18 Y
?161.74

Thats mail order only.

BMW will fit them for 10 quid per tyre.

I was also informed that i dont need to carry a space saver wheel.. There is a new 'tyre gunk' thats going into a lot of cars now. You just squirt it into the tyre if it gets a puncture and it gives you a repair for so many miles until you can get it changed. Anyone know anything about it?

BMW said it would cost 70 quid but theres a 3 day wait so i may try sourcing the stuff online. I have no idea what to google for tho...."tyre gunk"??
Old 04-05-2006, 03:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brommy' post='264860' date='Apr 5 2006, 06:23 AM
The UK law states that IF a spare wheel is present it must be to the correct standard when checked during an MOT (presumably also during a police check), i.e. correct inflation pressure, and a minimum of 1.6mm tread depth across a minium of three quarters of the central width of the tyre. There is no requirement to carry a spare wheel. The idea is that if there is a spare wheel present you could, at some point, use it and therefore it must be in a fit state. If there is no spare wheel you can't drive away at all, which is never the less still safe.

This means i can just order and get them fitted and not worry about the unlikely event of a cop pulling me over on the way home and going 'ello ello ello. i see you have no space saver wheel.' and then laughing like something out of a bennyhill show.

Cheers
Old 04-05-2006, 03:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='264861' date='Apr 5 2006, 12:23 PM
I seem to be spamming the forum

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 245/40 R18 Y
?161.74

Thats mail order only.

BMW will fit them for 10 quid per tyre.

I was also informed that i dont need to carry a space saver wheel.. There is a new 'tyre gunk' thats going into a lot of cars now. You just squirt it into the tyre if it gets a puncture and it gives you a repair for so many miles until you can get it changed. Anyone know anything about it?

BMW said it would cost 70 quid but theres a 3 day wait so i may try sourcing the stuff online. I have no idea what to google for tho...."tyre gunk"??

'Tyre gunk' is supplied instead of a spare by some car manufacturers when there isn't room for a spare (or just to provide more boot space such as in the Seat Altea). My concern with only having the gunk is that it is useless with a blow out which, presumably, a run-flat should cope with. Seen as its legal to not have a spare, I'd save your money and take the chance for a week or so. Mind you I won't even own a BMW until 9 weeks time so I've no idea how good the BMW Emergency Service is!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='264863' date='Apr 5 2006, 12:25 PM
This means i can just order and get them fitted and not worry about the unlikely event of a cop pulling me over on the way home and going 'ello ello ello. i see you have no space saver wheel.' and then laughing like something out of a bennyhill show.
Cheers
Your welcome!

Note to self: I must type and post faster!
Old 04-05-2006, 04:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JayJay' post='264858' date='Apr 5 2006, 11:55 AM

Buy a can of tyre 'gunk' to use in emergency...

My dealer did the same deal on fitting
Old 04-05-2006, 05:24 AM
Senior Members

I found a better deal
surprisingly at Kwik Fit.

Michelin Pilot Sport 2 245/40/18/WZ - ?160 per tyre inclusive of fitting, valves, balancing.

Delivered tomorrow.

Online at blackcircles i found them for 161.75 ex fitting and balancing WITH a dodgy 'lotus club promotional code' which gave me a 10% discount.

I asked about the runflats and he said 'yeah we can remove those as long as you have all 4 tyres changed.'

So i saved on the following :

Hassle of having them delivered tomorrow to my door.
Hassle of putting them in the boot and driving to BMW on friday to get them fitted.
Cost of ?40 to have them fitted
Cost of ?1.75 per tyre (omg)

AND if anything goes wrong with them i can drive round to the place and go 'just what in teh hell do you think you are playing at.' which i doubt would be as easy with an online retailer.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530d Touring
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by colejl' post='264884' date='Apr 5 2006, 01:52 PM
Buy a can of tyre 'gunk' to use in emergency...

My dealer did the same deal on fitting

I am going with tyre gunk too.

Goodyear
Summer tyres EAGLE F1 GS-D3
245/45 R18 96Y BSW With mytyres.co.uk only ? 132.50

I am either going for these or I am going to get a set of M5 19" wheels and sell my sport alloys.

Do you reckon I will get ?800 for the style 135 wheels with Bridgestone Run Flats fitted to them a couple of thousand miles ago??
If I can't get this for them then I will just get the tyres.

Quick Reply: Tyre Change Imminent