E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

turbo tuner or JB3

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 535XI white
Model Year: 2008

turbo tuner
http://www.splitsec.com/

JB3
http://www.burgertuning.com/jb3pnp.html

which one do you guys think is better?
and any difference between two?
Old 12-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

SSTT/turbo tuner connect sto the tmap sensor and tricks the car/turbo into thinking it's higher elevations causing it to increase it's boost pressure. with the turbo tuner there is a risk of throwing a manip code which could void your warranty...(unless you are running pre 29.2 software on your car)

If you really want just a tmap piggyback, go with the jb+, as the boost pressures are adjustable....and price is MUCH better....

whichever tmap piggy you decide to go with (if you go this route), you should also purchase a BT cable, so you can delete manip codes if you want/just in case (if you are running SW 29.2+)...

the jb3 plugs into your ecu, so there are more controls of fuel pressures and timing, so you can run higher levels of boost with less risk. (the SSTT and jb+ do not have these controls that's why boost pressures and gains are much less). with the jb3 you also have different maps to choose from, so different levels of boost can be chosen depending on mods and octane level of gas.......

from a pure install user friendly aspect, the jb+ or SSTT wins initially you don't have to go into the ecu...but I have been told the learning curve for going into the ecu for jb3 install is fast and gets easier..there is both a pin-out and plug and play version for the jb3....
Down low the jb+ increases your torque noticeably, but gets lost in the higher gears and rpms....I tend to consider the jb+ similar to a sprint booster, just with actual hp gains. I am happy with my jb+, I've been running it for almost a year now @ 75% without issues.

for power and performance: jb3...

IMO: if you just want a mild increase for your daily driving, go with the jb+ or SSTT...but if you want to increase your performance and plan to run other cars often go with the jb3 (since the jb3 also has a "stock" map)
Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Gene u are a wealth of information
Old 12-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='1075937' date='Dec 18 2009, 12:20 PM
SSTT/turbo tuner connect sto the tmap sensor and tricks the car/turbo into thinking it's higher elevations causing it to increase it's boost pressure. with the turbo tuner there is a risk of throwing a manip code which could void your warranty...(unless you are running pre 29.2 software on your car)

If you really want just a tmap piggyback, go with the jb+, as the boost pressures are adjustable....and price is MUCH better....

whichever tmap piggy you decide to go with (if you go this route), you should also purchase a BT cable, so you can delete manip codes if you want/just in case (if you are running SW 29.2+)...

the jb3 plugs into your ecu, so there are more controls of fuel pressures and timing, so you can run higher levels of boost with less risk. (the SSTT and jb+ do not have these controls that's why boost pressures and gains are much less). with the jb3 you also have different maps to choose from, so different levels of boost can be chosen depending on mods and octane level of gas.......

from a pure install user friendly aspect, the jb+ or SSTT wins initially you don't have to go into the ecu...but I have been told the learning curve for going into the ecu for jb3 install is fast and gets easier..there is both a pin-out and plug and play version for the jb3....
Down low the jb+ increases your torque noticeably, but gets lost in the higher gears and rpms....I tend to consider the jb+ similar to a sprint booster, just with actual hp gains. I am happy with my jb+, I've been running it for almost a year now @ 75% without issues.

for power and performance: jb3...
thanks for the info, gene
how do i know which version of software on my car?
from turbo tunner web, it says "Unlike an ECU re-flash, after the Turbo Tuner is removed, there is no trace that it was ever there."

from the web, it says JB+ can adjust the boost from default 2.75 to up max 4.75, so JB+ is adjustable right?
dont want to touch ECU, so either JB+ or turbo turner
Old 12-18-2009, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by 08white' post='1075945' date='Dec 18 2009, 09:31 AM
thanks for the info, gene
how do i know which version of software on my car?
from turbo tunner web, it says "Unlike an ECU re-flash, after the Turbo Tuner is removed, there is no trace that it was ever there."

from the web, it says JB+ can adjust the boost from default 2.75 to up max 4.75, so JB+ is adjustable right?
dont want to touch ECU, so either JB+ or turbo turner
yes, the jb+ is adujustable

the SSTT claims to not leave codes, but have read different from e90posts....what is your production date, if it's pre March 2008 there is a good chance you have 29.2 SW...but if you've had any SW upgrades since, you will obviously have post 29.2, which will detect piggybacks/manip codes...

I do know n54tuning.com is running a deal on jb+ and BT tool...so even if you throw does with the jb+ at higher setting, you'd be able to delete them prior to going into service with the BT tool...

the other good thing about the jb3 is that you don't have to worry about codes being thrown since fuel and timing is also controlled..I've read many threads of members on e90posts and n54tech.com running race maps without throwing codes with their jb3 (scanned via BT tool).

the other good thing about the jb3 is that you

***check the classifieds of e90posts and n54tech.com as well...these go up FS often as lease returns are increasing...
Old 12-18-2009, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

thanks again gene
i have 12/07 production date
i will check out the site
Old 12-18-2009, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 08white' post='1075950' date='Dec 18 2009, 09:41 AM
thanks again gene
i have 12/07 production date
i will check out the site
should be good to go, if you are the original owner than you should know if you've had an SW upgrade...GL...let me know if you have any other q's...

if you do go with the jb+ or SSTT...

here's my DIY for air box removal, it's easier to get to the tmap sensor and install the piggyback once you've removed this:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...&hl=air+box
Old 12-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='1075953' date='Dec 18 2009, 12:44 PM
should be good to go, if you are the original owner than you should know if you've had an SW upgrade...GL...let me know if you have any other q's...

if you do go with the jb+ or SSTT...

here's my DIY for air box removal, it's easier to get to the tmap sensor and install the piggyback once you've removed this:

https://5series.net/forums/index.php?showto...&hl=air+box
i didnt do software upgrade, but is there a chance that when i went to services, BMW dealer did the upgrade?
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 08white' post='1075961' date='Dec 18 2009, 09:52 AM
i didnt do software upgrade, but is there a chance that when i went to services, BMW dealer did the upgrade?
a software upgrade would have needed an overnight stay in the service bay (usually). If you had you HPFP replaced or any other electronic gremlins or transmission complaints...most likely your dealer performed an SW upgrade as well..just purchase a BT tool to be safe, or find someone local to you that has one and rent it as necessary. The lower version of the BT tool only allows up to 4 VINS to be scanned with it, the higher version has an unlimited number of VINS allowed to be scanned.....
Old 12-18-2009, 09:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='1075971' date='Dec 18 2009, 01:10 PM
a software upgrade would have needed an overnight stay in the service bay (usually). If you had you HPFP replaced or any other electronic gremlins or transmission complaints...most likely your dealer performed an SW upgrade as well..just purchase a BT tool to be safe, or find someone local to you that has one and rent it as necessary. The lower version of the BT tool only allows up to 4 VINS to be scanned with it, the higher version has an unlimited number of VINS allowed to be scanned.....
thanks so much, you are the man

i had my shifter replaced, and dealer told me that they reprogrammed whole car (couldnt shift to reverse)
will think about it, thanks

Quick Reply: turbo tuner or JB3