E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 03:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by socale39
Actually speaking from experience. Specifically Yoshimura R&D of America where we developed exhaust systems for the Yoshimura Suzuki Team that raced in AMA Superbike, Superstock and stock applications. You can check them out online or maybe "google" the race proven results we helped contribute to. Not working there anymore and since you seem to be interested in my profession, I got into marketing working for a large Mortgage Wholesaler and Retailer.
Exhaust systems for motorcyles are actually quite different. SO you had actual experience designing exhaust systems? You should understand all that has been discussed then, no?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:25 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First off, I'd like to thank socale39 for starting this thread, and to all others contributing thoughtful discussion.

In the end, I am glad I spend the extra cash to get the facts on what a cheap aftermarket exhaust set-up can do to the 550i.

I went to pick my car up this afternoon and the car looked great with the quad tips. The sound was tasteful, and upon inspecting the new pipes it was apparent that Kito Autosport put in good effort to provide a quality exhaust solution- hats off to them. Here are a couple photos:

Now for the numbers.

Take into consideration that the car was warmed up and tested after installation, then driven on to the dyno. It was driven enough to bring and maintain the car at it's normal operating temperature for some time before testing. No heavy driving was performed prior to testing (same as the first round of testing), so "under the hood temperature" should have been the same though it was not measured in either case. Sorry for the fuzzy photos, but the font on the documents was pretty small. I will type the numbers out below in case you can not read them from the photos, and I will also provide actual images files (either .jpg or .pdf) of the dyno results from Kito AutoSport when I get them:

Taken today (with quad exhaust):
-----
Engine Torque (Ft-Lbs): Min-219 / Max-289 / Avg-264
Engine Power (HP): Min-94 / Max-267 / Avg-209
AFR (Ratio): This didn't show on the printout this time.

Taken yesterday (with stock exhaust):
-----
Engine Torque (Ft-Lbs): Min-208 / Max-276 / Avg-253
Engine Power (HP): Min-88 / Max-256 / Avg-199
AFR (Ratio): Min-11.4 / Max-14.5 / Avg-12.9

In the end I am happy I went with the quad tipped magnaflow dual exhaust. It sounds/looks great and even came with an additional 11+ horsepower and 13 Ft-Lbs of torque.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I SMG

That's great news West! We definitely need more pics of your setup and a sound clip if possible. Just more proof that you don't have to spend tons of money for a power producing setup, just the right combination of products and tubing.

Exactly what products did you use again?

BTW, thanks again for taking the time to contribute to this thread and for spending the extra $$$ for some before and after dynos.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Contributors

wow nice ride

what shop do you go through for your mods?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Senior Members

That's great news West!
Yeah, great news indeed! I was semi-convinced the setup would lose power given the general community concensus, and was delightfully surprised with the results when I discovered that this was not the case.

We definitely need more pics of your setup and a sound clip if possible. Just more proof that you don't have to spend tons of money for a power producing setup, just the right combination of products and tubing.

Exactly what products did you use again?
It might be some time before I can get more photos of the underside of the car, since I'll have to get it up on a rack again, but I can draw a diagram or two if that will help. I will take more photos of the underside though given the opportunity.

The muffler components were Magnaflow. Here is a list of all the products that were used on my vehicle along with their price in USD (which I imagine will vary depending on where you decide to make your purchase).
I'll get a sound clip once I can find a suitable audio/video recording device since I doubt my camera can accurately reproduce the deeper tone of my new exhaust.

BTW, thanks again for taking the time to contribute to this thread and for spending the extra $$$ for some before and after dynos.
No problem. It was a little extra cash up front, but it was fun, and I think others will be able to benefit from this as well. Cheers.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered
wow nice ride

what shop do you go through for your mods?
Thanks man.

For body work and painting: Metro Auto Rebuild (Seattle) - I don't even call anybody else for body work anymore.
For performance tuning and fabrication: Kito Autosport (Seattle) - This exhaust project was the first time we've worked together though.
For machining: Autosport Seattle (Seattle) - Creative and helpful individuals with a machine shop in the back.

For other stuff (suspension, cosmetics, entertainment, etc) I head to a friends house/garage and do it there.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530I

Nice set up so you had 3 exhaust put in? The magna flow you used I thought our cars was a single piping down the middle?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

This is a terrific thread. Very interesting.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NC916
Nice set up so you had 3 exhaust put in?
Thanks. I had 3 mufflers put in. The part numbers are listed earlier in this thread as well as a link above with pricing.

Originally Posted by NC916
The magna flow you used I thought our cars was a single piping down the middle?
The 545 and 550 have two pipes coming from each side of the engine. These pipes combine into one larger pipe after going through the center muffler which you can see in this image of the stock system.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Members

I wonder why they painted it? Did they use mild tubing?

Like the #s! Looks like the 550 may have quite a bit left to be unbottled.

Quick Reply: The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.