E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 05:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by socale39
I know everyone here states that quad setups will lose horsepower and based on common knowledge of exhaust system backpressure, I can understand how you'd lose low-end power, which everyone talks about, however how about the top-end? In theory wouldn't the quad setup provide better top-end performance than a more restrictive single-sided exhaust system with higher backpressure? Does anyone have empirical data to support that a quad setup would indeed impair performance throughout the entire power band?

Also, couldn't one achieve the same or close to stock backpressure by using different exhaust tube diameters and lengths to create the backpressure needed to retain low-end performance? It just seems that it is quite a bold statement to say that with any quad setup, you'll lose power. Personally it sounds like there just hasn't been a quad setup that has been developed correctly, unless of course we have data to support these claims.

Anyone?

I am looking to do a quad setup soon so I'd really like to hear what efforts have been made to prove that a quad setup will indeed impair performance. And please don't post "Butt Dyno" results, as there are so many various conditions that can play a role in how your engine performs between not having quads and having quads.

Looking forward to hearing from the crowd!
I did the REMUS quad in 2007 I bought at Bav auto sport from Ken Brown (Patrick Dowling) and had it in one weeks time and installed with modications on my 530i
BMW OWM rear bumper 250.00 (installing) and the REMUS QUAD for 899.00 tips and all and Lifetime warranty and love it!
www.bavautosport.com aka Bavarian auto sport

Hope this helps!

Presley348
Old 04-01-2011, 05:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by socale39
I know everyone here states that quad setups will lose horsepower and based on common knowledge of exhaust system backpressure, I can understand how you'd lose low-end power, which everyone talks about, however how about the top-end? In theory wouldn't the quad setup provide better top-end performance than a more restrictive single-sided exhaust system with higher backpressure? Does anyone have empirical data to support that a quad setup would indeed impair performance throughout the entire power band?

Also, couldn't one achieve the same or close to stock backpressure by using different exhaust tube diameters and lengths to create the backpressure needed to retain low-end performance? It just seems that it is quite a bold statement to say that with any quad setup, you'll lose power. Personally it sounds like there just hasn't been a quad setup that has been developed correctly, unless of course we have data to support these claims.

Anyone?

I am looking to do a quad setup soon so I'd really like to hear what efforts have been made to prove that a quad setup will indeed impair performance. And please don't post "Butt Dyno" results, as there are so many various conditions that can play a role in how your engine performs between not having quads and having quads.

Looking forward to hearing from the crowd!
I did the REMUS quad in 2007 I bought at Bav auto sport from Ken Brown (Patrick Dowling) and had it in one weeks time and installed with modications on my 530i
BMW OWM rear bumper 250.00 (installing) and the REMUS QUAD for 899.00 tips and all and Lifetime warranty and love it!
www.bavautosport.com aka Bavarian auto sport

Hope this helps!

Presley348
Old 04-02-2011, 09:39 AM
Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by r9ndy
I have a similar setup.. instead of the two magnaflow resonators I have two remus mufflers along with the H magnaflow muffler. Not sure if I can make it to that meet, however, if your coming to San Francisco anytime feel free to PM me. we can arrange to meet up.
Cool thanks! If I go to the event in San Jose I'll probably just go to coffee on Saturday morning at Santa Row, let me know if you can make it!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Members

So west and socalE39 did you guys totally remove the plastic under body covering? or did you have it cut near the rear of the exhuast?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by IzzE60
So west and socalE39 did you guys totally remove the plastic under body covering? or did you have it cut near the rear of the exhuast?
Still need to look into re-installing mine or having one made.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Members

So i assume you just removed yours
Old 04-21-2011, 05:39 PM
Members

My Ride: [IMG]http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab48/big525i/IMG_20110329_082033-1.jpg[/IMG] 2005 525i mtech front and rear bumper Magnaflow custom quad tip exhaust with some carbon fiber goodies and staggered VMR VB3 wrapped in Nitto Invos

i run a custom magnaflow quad i threw in an x pipe figuring if i throw it in ill gain some torque back and u feel it if u go this route it will probably cost 600 bucks for the muffler x pipe and it all welded up
Old 05-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Members

I want something that will not lose low end torque abut little more quiet then "west" and "socalE39" setup would this be a good setup? from OEM cat - OEM resonator - Mangaflow X muffler #11385 - OEM center resonator - Mangapack # 10425 on each side to dual tips on each side?

I have a 08 550i
Old 05-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Members

My Ride: [IMG]http://i848.photobucket.com/albums/ab48/big525i/IMG_20110329_082033-1.jpg[/IMG] 2005 525i mtech front and rear bumper Magnaflow custom quad tip exhaust with some carbon fiber goodies and staggered VMR VB3 wrapped in Nitto Invos

quads done the wrong way will loose power done the right way depending on the muffler used lets say magnaflow straight thru like I have will loose you power in the low end if you do a x pipe before the muffler and resonators after the maganaflow mufflers I felt more low end the car is quiter but im getting a stett performance header so it will get loud again
Old 05-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Members

like here is my set up maganaflow universal x pipe into magnaflow muffler and slp shotgun resonators after the mufflers

Quick Reply: The Truth Behind Quad Setups. Seperating Fact and Fiction.