E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tom tom satnav pictures, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2005, 06:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Mystic Blue 530i. Sport package, Auto, Premium package, xenon headlights. Mods to come!

Having just spent the better part of the last two weeks agonizing over which Nav I was going to get, I finally pulled the trigger on the Magellan Roadmate 760! Here's what I learned. There are basically 2 companies that provide mapping services to the major nav systems. Garmin and Magellan use Navtec which is the far supierior map service. Tomtom uses the other one. The 3D on the tomtom is the best! It also has a nice interface. The garmin 2720 would have been my 1st choice but it uses an external speaker. Also it wastes precious screen space with junk not the map! The Roadmate 760 is awesome! 7 million points of interest! The only thing I can complain about is the lask of a true 3D view. Yea it shows 3D as you approach the turn but I'd like to see it all the time! since I was buying the system for it's map abilities (kinda sounds like a simple idea) I couldn't go with TomTom because of the problems with the mapping. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2006, 10:47 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ScottishBimmer' post='215003' date='Dec 23 2005, 02:16 PM
Where did you get the "torch socket>cigar lighter converter"? thanks
I had to order it from the states, as although its a BMW part number its not available in the UK. It only took about a week to come.

I bought it from http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eagleday/inac3.html "BMW Auxiliary Adapter"
Old 01-03-2006, 08:12 AM
New Members

My Ride: 520d M-Sport
Model Year: 2013

I use a Navman linked via Bluetooth with my Ipaq.

The 3D mapping is superb - my only reservation is that if buying again I would go for the stand-alone car transferable version, eg Navman 510 or similar. I'd stay with the Navman though because I think the mapping is better than any of the Tom Tom or Garmin alternatives I've seen. I do however use a Tom Tom mount for the iPaq - nothing available from HP or Navman.

With the iPaq, it's a pain when reminders appear linked to my Pocket Outlook, just when having a good look at the layout of the next junction

Try www.totalpda.co.uk
Old 01-10-2006, 06:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by red-max' post='215007' date='Dec 23 2005, 03:52 PM
I recently got a Road Angel Navigator (upgraded from Road Angel).

When it arrived I was surprised at how big it is - certainly too big to sit in the middle of the E60 dashboard. After a bit of experimentation, I've ended up using it wedged in front of the iDrive screen, over to the left (I'm in the UK so have right-hand drive car). It works fine, seems to have no trouble locking onto the GPS satellites from there, and I can still see the iDrive screen.

One benefit is that it doesn't leave any telltale traces when I take it out when parking (which I always do). I read somewhere recently that GPS Satnav devices have become the most commonly stolen items from cars in the UK. Thieves look for the telltale round marks on the windscreen left by the "suckers" of the mounting brackets. So be careful, and whatever you do, don't leave the unit (or its cradle or bracket) visible in your car.

BTW, I'm not sure I'd recommend the Navigator over any other Satnav - but then I've never tried any others.

Any chance you could post a picture of this set-up. TIA.
Did you also run the cables behind the i-drive screen?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2006, 08:53 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Current - 330 Sport Topaz Blue, Grey Leather, HK HIFI...lost interest!! Waiting for - 535d Sport, Silver Grey, Foldy Mirrors, 172 19",Logic7,Pro Radio,Through load,Heated Front Seats,High Gloss shadowline,Black Maple,Headlight wash,Sun Protection Glass.

Originally Posted by Bobbin-Man' post='218690' date='Jan 3 2006, 05:12 PM
I use a Navman linked via Bluetooth with my Ipaq.

The 3D mapping is superb - my only reservation is that if buying again I would go for the stand-alone car transferable version, eg Navman 510 or similar. I'd stay with the Navman though because I think the mapping is better than any of the Tom Tom or Garmin alternatives I've seen. I do however use a Tom Tom mount for the iPaq - nothing available from HP or Navman.

With the iPaq, it's a pain when reminders appear linked to my Pocket Outlook, just when having a good look at the layout of the next junction

Try www.totalpda.co.uk

Me too
Old 01-22-2006, 03:40 PM
Members

Originally Posted by nutella' post='214142' date='Dec 21 2005, 10:24 PM
Check out this, getting fantastic reviews...

http://www.garmin.com/products/nuvi/
It's good, but be aware:

1) there is no choice of route (fastest, shortest?.)
2) only one ?via? point can be added to a route
3) there's no latitude/longitude display

At least, I think that's right. Anyone know otherwise?
Old 08-29-2006, 04:34 PM
Contributors

I grabbed a magellan 500 for $200+ at ebay with 1GB of Mem. Enough maps for me to get around. I dont use it. I have it just in case i get lost or need to go to some unkown place(s).

It works great.