E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Tire Reccomendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by shaferrj' post='1025372' date='Oct 5 2009, 04:21 PM
I was looking at those earlier as well.

There was one Corvette driver who provided a not so stellar review but it seems most comments were positive. Did you look at any other info that whats available on Tire Rack?
I was looking at all the tires available in the sizes I need, and through comparison after comparison, I whittled it all down to the Bridgestones as the best choice for me! If you use the "Compare" link on the site, you can look at the details of several tires side by side, and that makes it VERY easy to decide!
Old 10-09-2009, 03:04 AM
Members

Anyone had any experience with Nitto Envo's? I was checking them out.

I found a post regarding actual tire width as it relates to rims and if you dig into the specs some tires of the same size are actually a quarter inch or so wider.

This can help avoid that stretched look and also provide just a little more protection.

The Nitto's and Sessenta's fall in this category.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

I would suggest reading this thread ...
https://5series.net/forums/index.php...opic=86494&hl=

But given that you're looking for something that has a "longer life",
I would suggest going with General Exclaim UHP.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:38 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Michalin PS2 are still my favorite, even though I'm also satisfied with the Dunlop SportMaxx I have at the moment. They are expensive tyres, but they handle like no other tyre I have ever driven -- its a noticable difference.
As it happens, at the weekend I was chatting to one of the BMW-M test drivers (- I so wish I had his job!!!) who does a lot of work with tyre manufacturers to get the best tyre for the M cars, and he stated that Michalin was his recommendation from a performance perspective. So if its good enough for him, its good enough for me
Old 10-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='1028348' date='Oct 9 2009, 07:38 AM
Michalin PS2 are still my favorite, even though I'm also satisfied with the Dunlop SportMaxx I have at the moment. They are expensive tyres, but they handle like no other tyre I have ever driven -- its a noticable difference.
As it happens, at the weekend I was chatting to one of the BMW-M test drivers (- I so wish I had his job!!!) who does a lot of work with tyre manufacturers to get the best tyre for the M cars, and he stated that Michalin was his recommendation from a performance perspective. So if its good enough for him, its good enough for me
PS2s are great, especially in wet weather performance according to the recent Car and Driver tire comparo. To me, they are the top price is no object summer performance tire for our cars. I didn't get them because they are very very expensive (prices approaching $400 per tire for rears that fit the Style 172 wheels on the LCI 550i Sport) and they do not last long. That means that, in my family, they don't pass the wife test.

For long life, General Exclaims deliver according to members here who have them. Note that the Exclaims are just about the only performance tire with a M + S (mud plus snow rating). Of course, the downside of a tire with that rating is that ultimate dry grip is usually less than non mud plus snow-rated tires. Many members here have the General Exclaims and like them including a number that I know personally in the New York area. They're probably the best bang for your buck tire out there for our cars.
Old 10-09-2009, 04:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

i have generals on my 167's. i cant complain about the tire.. i have had no problems whatsoever..
Old 10-09-2009, 06:13 AM
Senior Members

I've got Falken FK452's on my M167's. They are great!
Now I've lowered it the front rubs a bit on the last bit of the inner front arch where it meets the front bumper. Having this sorted tomorrow though;-)
Old 10-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1028359' date='Oct 9 2009, 02:40 PM
PS2s are great, especially in wet weather performance according to the recent Car and Driver tire comparo. To me, they are the top price is no object summer performance tire for our cars. I didn't get them because they are very very expensive (prices approaching $400 per tire for rears that fit the Style 172 wheels on the LCI 550i Sport) and they do not last long. That means that, in my family, they don't pass the wife test.
My Michalins actually lasted a long time; I was doing 60000km per year, half (summer) on the Michalins. I used them 2 summers, so approx 60000km. I thought that was pretty good wear, but not sure what others are used to.
But you are right about the price though, very pricey
Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Contributors

Thinking of getting Falken 452's, was quoted $750 mounted and balanced. is this a good deal?
Old 10-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by xBMWx' post='1028487' date='Oct 9 2009, 12:16 PM
My Michalins actually lasted a long time; I was doing 60000km per year, half (summer) on the Michalins. I used them 2 summers, so approx 60000km. I thought that was pretty good wear, but not sure what others are used to.
But you are right about the price though, very pricey
You got 60,000 kilometers of ou PS2s? Wow, that's more miles than I have ever heard for them. Do you drive the twisties or is most of your driving on the highway?

Quick Reply: Tire Reccomendations