E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i - 50+HP Gain!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Ok guys, here is a short video (Recorded in 720p). The car is VERY dirty but thankfully this one is more about sound:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh6ZRuoBQS4

Let me know what you think.....

Sounds so nice and deep!!

I think I found a picture of u driving home after the install ------ happy dance---->
Old 06-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

The results are in!

The results that I was able to obtain were taken based on runs performed on a Model 248 Dynojet.

In order to properly interpret these results I want to touch a bit on correction factors. Based on information for this Dyno, correction factors are used by dynos to account for varying atmospheric conditions such as temperature, pressure, and humidity. The measured horsepower and torque are multiplied by the correction factor to obtain the corrected values. This is similar to the corrected times and speeds provided by some quarter mile tracks. Theoretically, you can dyno on a hot day in the high altitude of Denver and on some other cool day at sea level and produce the same corrected horsepower even though the observed horsepower you are producing at each location is different.

According to Westport it is commonly accepted that the correction factor from rwhp to flywheel hp for a 5-speed BMW on this type of DynoJet is 1.21 (which equates to a 17% drivetrain loss). Understanding is that the much posted and widely spread 18% drivetrain loss number has no real, robust technical measurements behind it, but has been accepted as an accurate loss number on our cars. In addition to this and based on Dyno correction factors the shop can switch from SAE, STD, and a few other correction factors that take into consideration Altitude, Climate, Temperature, etc. These correction factors read within approximately 2% of each other. Most experienced custom tuning shops use SAE corrections, as per the Society of Automotive Engineers.

We Dyno'd the car around lunch time and today and in Toronto it is muggy, hot, sticky, nasty weather. Humidity is approximately 94% and temperature right around 90 degrees. (Toronto is approximately 567 Ft above sea level). The needed correction factors based on these atmospheric conditions and drivetrain loss was not applied to the Dyno results you see below.

The recommendation for today's test are to apply a correction factor between 1.21 - 1.31 for atmospheric conditions and drivetrain loss. Our best run listed Max power @ 190.82 hp with 174.28 ft-Lbs. That would leave use between 230.89hp @ 210.88ft-Lbs torque and 249.97hp @ 228.30ft-Lbs torque or an average of 240hp @ 220 ft-Lbs torque.. Not quite on target with what we expected but definitely a nice gain in hp and torque regardless. Again I wish I had a baseline measure but unfortunately I don't. If we assumed the best scenario the results would be 250hp @ 228ft-Lbs torque.
Attached Thumbnails Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-dyno5.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 08:54 AM
Contributors

And a few pics of the shop...
Attached Thumbnails Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-dyno01.jpg   Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-dyno02.jpg   Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-dyno03.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 09:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This seems like a no-brainer mod for the price. Nice work.

Do you have numbers available for your vehicle prior to installing the intake?
Old 06-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Members

Great write up. Amazing results!
Old 06-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Contributors

Here's another scan with just the initial run
Attached Thumbnails Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-dyno6.jpg  
Old 06-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Contributors

This seems like a no-brainer mod for the price. Nice work.
Do you have numbers available for your vehicle prior to installing the intake?
Thanks West. I wish I had Dyno'd the car prior but unfortunately I did not. A baseline measurement would have been great!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Jonsmilez
Sounds so nice and deep!!

I think I found a picture of u driving home after the install ------ happy dance---->

BTW... How does your car get that dirty??? lol
Old 06-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Contributors

BTW... How does your car get that dirty??? lol
Not sure myself. Its a lil' embarrassing. Maybe I did some off-road Dyno runs today.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:50 AM
New Members

Hello Board,

I have dealt with 'GeorgieB' in regards to this intake manifold swap that you see posted here. The swap was pretty straight forward in E9X/E60 and can be done here at our facility. As you can see the graph, the power gains are amazing for such a simple mod. Not only has his peak power increased but part throttle responsiveness should be greatly improved. This info is great for you guys looking into it, but keep in mind his ECU has not fully adapted to the tune and mod as of yet. The tune as you know was provided from Active Autowerke and can be loaded in house at our facility without removal/shipment of your ECU. Being their main distributor in Ontario, I am more than happy to help you guys with any questions and services in relation to this setup (or any other for that matter). I know some of you have contacted Active, but the guys there are a bit busy around this time unfortunately and I apologize and their behalf so please, do not hesitate to ask me any questions you may have. You can email me for the fastest response.

Congrats GeorgieB on your gains and thank you for your business. Enjoy your car in good health my friend!

Best Regards,

Jon
bimmersport@rogers.com
905-670-9200

Quick Reply: Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i - 50+HP Gain!