E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Three Different Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was gonna do an oil change on my car but I couldn't get it on those damn rhino ramps because my ACS lip is too low...
Anyway, I took a look at the underbody and one of the panels was COMPLETLEY soaked with oil. I thought it was a leaking transmission because the panel was right beneath where the tranny would be. I brought it to the dealer to have them look at it and it turned out three different components where leaking. As I recall, on the phone, he said it was a leaking differential, altenator (??), and valve cover or something. I asked him if any of those components where damaged due to the lack of oil and his words exactly where "no, they didn't get damaged, it was just NORMAL leaking"......what???

Normal leaking???

Well they are fixing it now and I will get the car back Saturday just in time so I can get my RPI exhaust installed Monday!!!

So are these components prone to normal leaking? At 32,000?
And is there a chance that the components have taken damage?

Thank you

-Krozi
Old 04-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

I am no BMW mechanic, but that does NOT sound normal. I have 33k on mine and you made me nervous so I ran down and checked...I have no leaks at all, at least from what I can see. Did you check your oil level (dip stick) prior to bringing it in? I'm sure there was enough oil in there or you would have found out soon enough! Good luck man, hope she comes back good as new for you.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by -Mike-' post='843346' date='Apr 10 2009, 03:32 PM
I am no BMW mechanic, but that does NOT sound normal. I have 33k on mine and you made me nervous so I ran down and checked...I have no leaks at all, at least from what I can see. Did you check your oil level (dip stick) prior to bringing it in? I'm sure there was enough oil in there or you would have found out soon enough! Good luck man, hope she comes back good as new for you.
Yea I checked the engine oil after I saw the leak. The engine was ambient temp and the reading was just below half on the dipstick. I also told them to change the engine oil while they are at it. Thank God for CPO warranty. This could have cost me a lot more than the $50 deductable.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='843339' date='Apr 10 2009, 02:28 PM
I was gonna do an oil change on my car but I couldn't get it on those damn rhino ramps because my ACS lip is too low...
Anyway, I took a look at the underbody and one of the panels was COMPLETLEY soaked with oil. I thought it was a leaking transmission because the panel was right beneath where the tranny would be. I brought it to the dealer to have them look at it and it turned out three different components where leaking. As I recall, on the phone, he said it was a leaking differential, altenator (??), and valve cover or something. I asked him if any of those components where damaged due to the lack of oil and his words exactly where "no, they didn't get damaged, it was just NORMAL leaking"......what???

Normal leaking???

Well they are fixing it now and I will get the car back Saturday just in time so I can get my RPI exhaust installed Monday!!!

So are these components prone to normal leaking? At 32,000?
And is there a chance that the components have taken damage?

Thank you

-Krozi

If the mechanic or service writer said that you had a leaking alternator, he has a major major problem and should be moved to working in the wash rack.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by z06bigbird' post='843420' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:17 PM
If the mechanic or service writer said that you had a leaking alternator, he has a major major problem and should be moved to working in the wash rack.
Wasn't too sure about that either.... Maybe I heard him wrong or something. That is the only explanation I have. No one can possibly say the altenator is leaking.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='843428' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:22 PM
Wasn't too sure about that either.... Maybe I heard him wrong or something. That is the only explanation I have. No one can possibly say the altenator is leaking.

Hey Krozi, I just got a call from my dealer, looks like the two metal pipes leading to the transmission were leaking. Apparently one of them fell out, and broke? it's been leaking fluid for a long time.

They say it's not covered on my Warranty, because the only way it could happen was from an accident. (I've never been in one, and my dealer ASSURED Me when I bought the car, it wasn't in one).
Old 04-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='843437' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:32 PM
Hey Krozi, I just got a call from my dealer, looks like the two metal pipes leading to the transmission were leaking. Apparently one of them fell out, and broke? it's been leaking fluid for a long time.

They say it's not covered on my Warranty, because the only way it could happen was from an accident. (I've never been in one, and my dealer ASSURED Me when I bought the car, it wasn't in one).
Not even the guy who told you that believes it. Someone must have hit you on the underside, because a fender bender would not have had enough power to cause that and a crash strong enough to break a pipe on the transmission would have had to be reported in a vehicle report. If they deny you the warranty work then I would call an attorney.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='843444' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:38 PM
Not even the guy who told you that believes it. Someone must have hit you on the underside, because a fender bender would not have had enough power to cause that and a crash strong enough to break a pipe on the transmission would have had to be reported in a vehicle report. If they deny you the warranty work then I would call an attorney.
How can someone hit you on the underside?
Old 04-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ShadeZeRO' post='843446' date='Apr 10 2009, 04:40 PM
How can someone hit you on the underside?
Exactly my point.
Old 04-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Contributors

A fender bender wouldn't be powerfull enough to make the pipes leak, and a crash severe enough to break the pipes must have been reported. So the only way for those pipes to break is if someone hit you on the unserside. Since that is impossible, your BMW tech needs to go back to common sense school.

Quick Reply: Three Different Leaks