E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Thinking of putting COILOVERS

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i black sapphire metallic w/ tan interior , sports package , premium package , parking sensor, shades,usb , HRE 20's, CKS C1's coilovers, rpi scoop, OEM M5 side mirrors,OEM Gloss black kidney grills, ACS roof spoiler, ACS Trunk spoiler, 15% madico tint all around.. NEXT UP: bodykit and quads ( installing soon) cobb

Sup guys im considering putting coilovers soon.. can you guys explain to me the pros and cons? What brand your on, quality and comfort. The reason Im thinking of putting coils is my sport suspension isnt stiff enough to avoid rubs on dips plus the rear can use a bit of a drop after I get them rolled. So anyone else putting on coils for other reasons than drop... shed some knowledge please.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 530i Shadow line mod Rpi scoop BMC air filtter Ksport coilover Mtech V2 Angel eyes HID low beams HID Fogs

Actually just picked the KSport Coilovers read a lot of good things about'em. Particularly 'Great bang for your buck..
Probably not gonna drop'em in till Spring.
Do a quick search man there's tons of write ups on suspension mods i.e. H&R sport springs, Eibachs, KW Coilovers etc.
GL
Old 12-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 bmw 535i black sapphire metallic w/ tan interior , sports package , premium package , parking sensor, shades,usb , HRE 20's, CKS C1's coilovers, rpi scoop, OEM M5 side mirrors,OEM Gloss black kidney grills, ACS roof spoiler, ACS Trunk spoiler, 15% madico tint all around.. NEXT UP: bodykit and quads ( installing soon) cobb

Im thinking about KSPORT as well and yes I have been doing my research but I want an updated review and experience on coils everyones running. Keep me posted bro!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been keeping this mod in the back of my head, but I have so many ahead of me it's pretty far off for me.. if I ever get to it. However, from what I've seen it seems there's not too many cons to coilovers than say cost. I haven't used them, so maybe my opinion isn't worth much here but that's the way I've understood it. Coilovers seem to be the way to go if you can afford it and assuming their adjustable.. it'd make life a lot easier if you want to change your ride height.. for say .. the winter.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

Coilovers are for improved handling and cornering and looks sick. Ride will be significantly stiffer. If you rub now, you'll rub more b/c of less fender gap, that wont solve your rubbing problem. Tires too tall or too wide or aggressive offsets will rub. So these are the root cause, no way around it.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by G530
Coilovers are for improved handling and cornering and looks sick. Ride will be significantly stiffer. If you rub now, you'll rub more b/c of less fender gap, that wont solve your rubbing problem. Tires too tall or too wide or aggressive offsets will rub. So these are the root cause, no way around it.
^^ Agree 100% nuff said!
Old 12-02-2011, 08:46 AM
Senior Members

i got your pm, rubbing will is always an issue when you lower your car... we do have same set up on tire size and wheel size, i'm just so use to it, only rubs when hit speed bumps, my kw
was adjusted perfectly height and dampening... i like kw's and st coils the most...
my main concern when i lowered my car was the camber and i had them adjust it all the way to -2 so it wont rub when i turn the wheel.. rather than that love how my car sits and how it rides
Old 12-02-2011, 08:58 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

I have had my KSports on for over a year, since I was the first to get them. The difference is amazing. I used to have OEM sport shocks with H&R springs, which wasn't bad, but the flexibility and ease of adjustment, the handling and stability have been greatly improved with my coilovers. I have mine set probably stiffer than some would find comfortable, but I like it just fine. I have almost no body roll, the car turns better, and my overall driving experience is much better.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

I would say Koni Yellow, Bilsteins struts. You wont be able to use the full potential of the coil overs height adjustment. Stick with your stock springs or HR, Eibach etc.. and just update to a firmer strut

At 20x9 you'll need some form of spacer the coils are thicker than stock, then endlinks (ugh! lol) then a 235 series tire , fender rolling, etc..taller and wider rims will not be easy unless you have flared fenders say like an M5.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Senior Members

if you wanna see how your wheels feel on a coil over come over and mount them on mine then you'll see if you like ...it will be fun..John, jason, jason will be a E60 meet lol

Quick Reply: Thinking of putting COILOVERS