E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

sub/amp turning on and off

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so i dont know what is going on, so as some might recognize ive had similar posts to this regarding my sub/amp set up issues...

1st i had the 2 12's jl w3v2 subs + the jl 500/1 amp installed using this thread
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=11606
it worked fine for a few days, then it just shuts off, id have to remove the power fuse and put it back in n sometimes slap the sub box in the trunk a few times for it to turn back on..but even then it will shut on and off every time i hit a bump on the road...

what i did next...

i decided to switch set up with my buddy who had 1 12" kicker L7 with an alpine amp...he ended up using my set up in his accord, and it is now shutting on and off for him also...

but when i had his set up in my car, it worked well for a week... the only problem was i was smelling something burning in my trunk and it was coming out of the vent of the imported sub box...i just ignored that, and 1 week later the box shuts off again...this time i didnt bother to leave it on, i immediately took out the power fuse and left it off ever since...

i have no idea what could be wrong, and i am wondering if i've burnt both set ups? and what could be the reason why if anyones had this same problem.

Thanks for hearing me out.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Members

anyone?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 M5 CP

Originally Posted by flybeam52' post='598890' date='Jun 9 2008, 12:38 PM
ok so i dont know what is going on, so as some might recognize ive had similar posts to this regarding my sub/amp set up issues...

1st i had the 2 12's jl w3v2 subs + the jl 500/1 amp installed using this thread
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=11606
it worked fine for a few days, then it just shuts off, id have to remove the power fuse and put it back in n sometimes slap the sub box in the trunk a few times for it to turn back on..but even then it will shut on and off every time i hit a bump on the road...

what i did next...

i decided to switch set up with my buddy who had 1 12" kicker L7 with an alpine amp...he ended up using my set up in his accord, and it is now shutting on and off for him also...

but when i had his set up in my car, it worked well for a week... the only problem was i was smelling something burning in my trunk and it was coming out of the vent of the imported sub box...i just ignored that, and 1 week later the box shuts off again...this time i didnt bother to leave it on, i immediately took out the power fuse and left it off ever since...

i have no idea what could be wrong, and i am wondering if i've burnt both set ups? and what could be the reason why if anyones had this same problem.

Thanks for hearing me out.
I think that the JL speakers cannot handle the power coming from the 500/1. Try hooking up the 500/1 to the Kicker L7 in your friends car and see how that works.

As for the connection in your car, you may have a grounding issue. Try changing the placement of the ground.
Old 06-19-2008, 11:58 PM
Senior Members

I have question for you....

Did you turn up the base level all the way up from Idrive?
If you did, this might cause the problem since you are causing distortion and cause amp and sub to get cut off by either over heating or too much distortion.

I did not have problem like yours but I had a alpine sub with alpine amp and it was keep getting cut off and finally my sub got cut on fire IN MY TRUNK!!!. and the reason why it got caught on fire was I put base level really high through I drive and sub that I had was supposed to handle the maximum rms from amp but couldnt because of distortion. (so i got two subs with custom bmw box )

w7 or w6 might handle it but i dont think w3 can handle as much power as those other two.

Stay away from Kicker since it will blow out and it sucks.

But try to see if there is any shortage on wires, and change the amp setting and idrive.

If you have sealed box and need more sound then i go for ported box.

Let me know if you have any question