E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Stock Subwoofer Replacement- E60

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 03:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beemve60
Hello guys!

I've had base audio system(european): 2 front door speakers(no tweeters), 2 rear deck speakers, and underseat subs. The sound was really crappy. Especially at higher volumes(like the door speakers were blown). I replaced the door and rear deck speakers with 2-way coaxial JBL GTO428s week ago. I expected the difference, but WOW, IT WAS HUGE! Everyone told me not even to bother replacing speakers without an aftermarket amp. But hey, I got the sound I wanted without it. So now I'm wondering if I could get that much difference by replacing the subs (With Audio System AX08). Those speakers are rated 120W(80W RMS) and I don't know if the stock amp is strong enough to power them. Can someone help me about it?

Thanks!
Lucky you, I've never heard anything good from anyone just changing their speakers and no amp. Maybe you got lucky lol. But I don't think you'd have the same luck out of the subs for some reason. I'm not sure of the stock subs wattage but 80 RMS aftermarket doesn't seem that it would require much more wattage, however, if you haven't noticed the limited amount of space you'll have to mount those things, you might want to consider another speaker if it's too tall. I went with a pair of Pioneers under the seats, but I matched it up with an amp and no lie bro the thing is nice and subtle. It's got clean and crisp deep notes and I'm highly saticfied with it. I'd for sure put an amp with the subs just because you might as well while you've got things pulled apart.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:24 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beemve60
I replaced the door and rear deck speakers with 2-way coaxial JBL GTO428s week ago. I expected the difference, but WOW, IT WAS HUGE! Everyone told me not even to bother replacing speakers without an aftermarket amp. But hey, I got the sound I wanted without it. So now I'm wondering if I could get that much difference by replacing the subs (With Audio System AX08). Those speakers are rated 120W(80W RMS) and I don't know if the stock amp is strong enough to power them. Can someone help me about it?

Thanks!
Those speakers run at 2 ohms. Did not overheat the stock amplifier?
How do you mount the speakers? Did not bother you the front frame of them, or it is removable?
Attached Thumbnails Stock Subwoofer Replacement- E60-brand_product.jpg