E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Stock Subwoofer Replacement- E60

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by NC-535
New to the forum, and can't find the Personal Messenger portal (help file pointed me to my user name drop-down menu, but no luck there). I am interested in buying a used OEM subwoofer. Try and PM me if you can. Thanks!

PM Sent
Old 12-16-2011, 04:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 545i

Any update on the Rainbows?

The spacers/frame is different than the Earthquakes ... correct?

Thanks
Old 12-17-2011, 02:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

the stock speakers under the seats are run at full range. they give the car a soft midbass. if u throw the earthquakes under the seats and run them on low pass for the added bass ur going to have absoultey no mid range. the sound will sound weird. the 4' inch speakers hardly offer any midbass. replacing the front door speakers with 6.5 in components would solve the mid bass issue. then run the earthquakers under the seats at low pass. when they are run at low pass around 80-100hz they do bump for tiny flat speakers. I have mine run off a 300rms 4ohm monochannel have the two speakers run together seeing 150 each. had to seal the speaker enclosure better as well. i have aftermarlet 4's in the door/deck and like i said they offer no true midbass. i have the hz as low as possible without them distorted and still getting some voulume from them. maybe 85hz. then the 1 10 in the trunk and the underseat earthquakes covers 85hz and down. doesnt sound bad at all. just nothing special
Old 12-19-2011, 10:19 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 545i

Thanks for the reply:

Putting 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 in the doors would be the best solution, but it appears it can't be done on the 2004 on E60.

Was hoping there was a solution such as the PENER BAFFLE:
Maybe somebody will fabricate it or maybe there just isn't any room.

I'm willing to sacrifice low bass for a tight mid bass.

You have Earthquakes for the subs, would you recommend the Rainbows or Jenherts for a more musical/tight mid-bass?

6 1/2s in the rear deck would be optimal, but that doesn't seem to be happening either.
Rear Deck
Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Members

Question for you guys. Ok I just had a complete audio overhaul of my 2008 528i. Focal components, LC6i (Audio Control Processor), 5 channel ARC Auido D-Class 700 watt amp, and a JL W0 12" in a ported box. Totally too much for what I was looking for as I told the installer I'm not a teenager and I don't want to sound like a rattle can. End result after having everything installed, bass gets trapped in the trunk and doesn't produce the sound the installer or myself was looking for being that the trunk is so sealed. Step 2, I have a 8X6 hole cut from the rear deck (only visible from the trunk while looking up at the rear deck), still not the constant sound I'm looking for but the bass does carry a tad bit better, but now I'm really shaking things up in the trunk and cabin somewhere. So the guy is telling me how he had to bypass the amps and the amp for my pre-existing amps and I'm like "are you telling me I have stock subs in my car" (but I'm playing dumb here because I already knew I didn't have subs) and he says well no you don't have subs but you have the amps prewired for it for some reason. "Ok cool, what if I get a pair of 8 inch subs and install them and get rid of the 12" in the trunk, do you think it would sound better?" He says not really because 8" subs are more less mid range subs and you wouldn't get the low's that get from this 12". Here's my question for you guys, for one, even though I don't have the 8" subs installed, am I still able to have 8" subs installed in place where the stockers would go? Secondly, I see everything leading torwards Earthquakes but I did some searching around and found MB Quart RLP204's that seem to be a better quality than the Quakers but the depth is 2-3/4" vs the Quakes 2-1/8" do you all think the MB's could still be installed and also, has anyone heard of anyone with these subs?

Scott
Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 AM
Members

Beaman528i, I don't have the schematics or know if you don't have the Logic7 - would you be able to utilize the "pre-wired" wiring for the stock 8" subs under the seats. Question: are you looking to change becasue you don't like the new bass you have with the 12" ported box in the trunk, or you simply don't want a box in the trunk? I had a similar problem with an older 535i (1988) and ended up with a great solution for plentiful, clean, accurate bass by designing and intalling a box in the sealed trunk. I built a band-pass enclosure and ported the output through a tube and and sealed it to a 8" hole cut in the rear deck. The bass was incredible and very accurate compared to the messy "boomy" bass of a ported box in the trunk. The box was small enough that I just hung it with metal brackets from the underside of the rear deck, leaving some space under it for trunk cargo. I then mounted the amplifier for it on the outside of the box to keep it out of the way. I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but it might be a potential solution for you if you are happy with the rest of your updated system.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:12 PM
Members

My Ride: F07 GT 535D M Sport & E60 530D M Sport

I have just fitted 2 earthquake sws-8 subs under my front seats, this was part of my extensive audio upgrade / audio install, they are being driven by a JL amp through a Bit 10 controler

The subs are a direct fitment and work very well, i replaced the front speakers with morel's and also have 2 12" JLw6 subs in the boot, its awsome
Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Members

Beaman528i, I don't have the schematics or know if you don't have the Logic7 - would you be able to utilize the "pre-wired" wiring for the stock 8" subs under the seats. Question: are you looking to change becasue you don't like the new bass you have with the 12" ported box in the trunk, or you simply don't want a box in the trunk? I had a similar problem with an older 535i (1988) and ended up with a great solution for plentiful, clean, accurate bass by designing and intalling a box in the sealed trunk. I built a band-pass enclosure and ported the output through a tube and and sealed it to a 8" hole cut in the rear deck. The bass was incredible and very accurate compared to the messy "boomy" bass of a ported box in the trunk. The box was small enough that I just hung it with metal brackets from the underside of the rear deck, leaving some space under it for trunk cargo. I then mounted the amplifier for it on the outside of the box to keep it out of the way. I know this doesn't directly answer your question, but it might be a potential solution for you if you are happy with the rest of your updated system.
NC-535, thanks for the reply. So ummmm I'm like 99% sure I don't have the Logic7 set up in my car. I just know that after my current stereo and speaker install the installer told me he had to bypass my amp for the subs, and that's when I told him I didn't have any 8 inch subs preinstalled with my car and he said he understood that but the car is prewired for them. SO I looked under my front seats and I see the grills where the subs would go and I'm just wondering if there's more than just grills down there, if there's actually the speaker compartments also? If they are, I'm willing to get a set of 8's and get rid of the 12 in sub in the trunk. To answer your other question, I totally don't like the 12 inch sub in the trunk. I don't like the rattle, the knocking that comes with getting bass. I'd much rather have that sound coming from within the cabin. The existing sub enclosure doesn't take up too much space but if I could install 8's I'd enjoy that more. Also, can you provide pics of your custom install? Even though there's a cut out in my rear cargo compartment I'm not 100% liking the sound.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:01 PM
Members

NC-535, thanks for the reply. So ummmm I'm like 99% sure I don't have the Logic7 set up in my car. I just know that after my current stereo and speaker install the installer told me he had to bypass my amp for the subs, and that's when I told him I didn't have any 8 inch subs preinstalled with my car and he said he understood that but the car is prewired for them. SO I looked under my front seats and I see the grills where the subs would go and I'm just wondering if there's more than just grills down there, if there's actually the speaker compartments also? If they are, I'm willing to get a set of 8's and get rid of the 12 in sub in the trunk. To answer your other question, I totally don't like the 12 inch sub in the trunk. I don't like the rattle, the knocking that comes with getting bass. I'd much rather have that sound coming from within the cabin. The existing sub enclosure doesn't take up too much space but if I could install 8's I'd enjoy that more. Also, can you provide pics of your custom install? Even though there's a cut out in my rear cargo compartment I'm not 100% liking the sound.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Members

Hello guys!

I've had base audio system(european): 2 front door speakers(no tweeters), 2 rear deck speakers, and underseat subs. The sound was really crappy. Especially at higher volumes(like the door speakers were blown). I replaced the door and rear deck speakers with 2-way coaxial JBL GTO428s week ago. I expected the difference, but WOW, IT WAS HUGE! Everyone told me not even to bother replacing speakers without an aftermarket amp. But hey, I got the sound I wanted without it. So now I'm wondering if I could get that much difference by replacing the subs (With Audio System AX08). Those speakers are rated 120W(80W RMS) and I don't know if the stock amp is strong enough to power them. Can someone help me about it?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Stock Subwoofer Replacement- E60