E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Started painting trim black

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 05:21 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

SHOOT ME IN THE FACE!!! (dont even post a dirty comment because im already in a terrible mood)

Sanded the shit out of those stupid chrome pieces. Washed them. Dried them. Then started painting them with dupli color black high gloss paint. 4-5 coats i dont remember. Waiting 15-30 mins in between. Painting was simple obviously. Taking my chrome pieces off was annoying. Im not a patient person and im not good with stupid little clips, pins, snaps, clamps, etc. I took mine off and then tried putting the new ones on....i was rushing the entire time because my car was outside and it looked like it was going to rain at any moment. Needless to say some of the chrome pieces are bent and i cant use all of them. So i must take off mine and use some of those. I suck at putting the molding on around the door jam/mirror part. I cant get it to line up and it was making me go insane. After all of it i put my stupid chrome one back on. I need another can of paint to finish the job....the painted chrome pieces acutally look pretty good.

should i clear coat them or no?

Im going to chip away at this job for the next 2 or 3 days. If it looks good then i saved $2xx dollars that will go to something like coilovers or something else thats super cool.

im tired and pissed off....i was about 10 seconds away from throwing all the chrome trim in the trash and buying the shadowline and taking it to the dealer and asking for them to shove a bill up my ass. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH <--- head into window.

anyone have any tips for the stupid trim? and yes i read the DIY.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Man sounds like your pretty frustrated right now. I have been there....
Take deep breaths and go to sleep early. Tomorrow you will wake up renewed

Oh, and sorry, I can't help you with the trim
Old 05-03-2009, 06:02 PM
Contributors

I painted my trim too but I didn't take the trim out i just put tape and newspaper around it and painted it. I used primer, flat black and then clear coat.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

IMO don't clear coat, leave it matte. then again, you rebadged with gloss emblems so... how ever you see fit.

take your time, quality work cannot be accomplished with haste. use the extra can or two and couple of days to get it done right. you'll feel pretty good about it when all is said and done. sorry no pointers re: install here, just a little motivation
Old 05-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='867187' date='May 3 2009, 09:21 PM
...asking for them to shove a bill up my ass.
If they need some help with the bill, tell them to call DRANGED.

I never try such jobs myself....too damned frustrating. I'd rather pay a professional to do it right. GL!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:36 PM
Contributors

uhhh just speechless

just calm down and try it again later

its not like your car will explode with bent chrome, and the trim can be a bit tricky to do
Old 05-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I knew this is what you were up to when you were asking for a set of chrome trim
Old 05-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi angel eyes upgrade, 5% tints...more to come

This job can be tricky, just take your time and be patient. be carefull when putting the lower trim on, use a wooden block wrapped in cloth and a hammer. place the trim on and tap the trim from end to end uniformly, be careful not to hit to hard as it WILL bend the new trim and it will stick up and never be straight. You may have to go back and forth on it a few times until it is fully seated. Good luck! Don't get frustrated!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat' post='867221
If they need some help with the bill, tell them to call DRANGED.

I never try such jobs myself....too damned frustrating. I'd rather pay a professional to do it right. GL!
yea i know, i think i might just paint it and then take it to them and get it put on. im going to finish painting everything and try one door. If i get it and stay calm i will finish it.

Originally Posted by PraiseTheLowered' post='867257
I knew this is what you were up to when you were asking for a set of chrome trim
my first plan was to spray it with tint spray and make it look like black chrome. a hybrid cross between chrome and shadowline. It looked like shit so i sanded all the paint off and just went with black.

Originally Posted by carson' post='867288' date='May 3 2009, 10:08 PM
This job can be tricky, just take your time and be patient. be carefull when putting the lower trim on, use a wooden block wrapped in cloth and a hammer. place the trim on and tap the trim from end to end uniformly, be careful not to hit to hard as it WILL bend the new trim and it will stick up and never be straight. You may have to go back and forth on it a few times until it is fully seated. Good luck! Don't get frustrated!!!
thanks for the tips. i didnt even get to the bottom one because the top was pissing me off so much. im going to get back to it tomorrow.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Contributors

Sleep on it you will be refreshed tomorrow morning

Quick Reply: Started painting trim black