E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

speaker mounting depth under seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 11:10 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Hey guys,

I know this has probably been answered before but I can't seem to find the answer from searching, but can someone tell me what the max mounting depth I have in the oem under seat sub location is? I'm looking at different options for a midbass driver to be placed in the oem subwoofer location but need to know how much room I have under there.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:13 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Google "SWS-8". It's your only option for a mid-bass drop-in replacement.

Or see http://www.earthquakesound.com/sws.htm
Old 02-24-2010, 01:15 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I know its not the only option, hertz audio used to make a space 8 woofer that will fit I'm just having trouble locating one as they are discontinued as of 2010. I know the SWS-8 needs a little more then 2 inches but is that all that is available? I'm even ok fiberglassing something there I just need a sense of how much space is there, is there maybe 4 inches of space? I'm not looking to put a subwoofer there I want to try to put a midbass driver there, my plan is to run an active 3 way up front and have a subwoofer in the trunk. I trying to do a setup without having to cut the door cards and possibly not having to fabricate anything just use all the oem locations.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

slightly off topic and probably answered elsewhere; but here goes. If I only have the stock speaker system in my 2008 e61 (with navi professional stereo) and I want to install a pair of subwoofers under the seats, do I need to run wires from the stereo or are plugs and wires already available under the seats?

Old 04-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by cleung
I know its not the only option, hertz audio used to make a space 8 woofer that will fit I'm just having trouble locating one as they are discontinued as of 2010. I know the SWS-8 needs a little more then 2 inches but is that all that is available? I'm even ok fiberglassing something there I just need a sense of how much space is there, is there maybe 4 inches of space? I'm not looking to put a subwoofer there I want to try to put a midbass driver there, my plan is to run an active 3 way up front and have a subwoofer in the trunk. I trying to do a setup without having to cut the door cards and possibly not having to fabricate anything just use all the oem locations.

I remember some time ago, I saw a diagram on here, where someone measured out the depths on the subs, it might have been in Bruce Miranda's write up when he did his upgrade. It was pretty good .pdf or .jpg diagram too! Try doing a search.

I think aside from the Earthquake SWS-8, I think pioneer came out with a shallow 8" sub as well which needs 2 3/4" depth as appossed to the 2 1/4 of the SWS-8s. I want to say you have just under 3" of depth there if I remember correctly. The real issue is that part of the speaker runs directly under the seat rail, to it really hinders the ability to allow the speaker to fit above the provide depth, unless you go with something like a 5x7, or a 6 1/2 speaker with a custom fab set up??

Let us know your plan as you design your system
Old 04-15-2010, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530i-M
Google "SWS-8". It's your only option for a mid-bass drop-in replacement.

Or see http://www.earthquakesound.com/sws.htm
When you say drop in replacement is it a simple take out and put back in? No crazy wiring involved or anything?
Old 04-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by tiangco.a
When you say drop in replacement is it a simple take out and put back in? No crazy wiring involved or anything?
SWS-8's are a direct replacement, perfect fit! You do have to modify the connectors (IE cut the wires and put spade connectors) but thats it. pretty simple
Old 04-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 525i
Model Year: 2007

somehow i just couldnt find the sub under the driver seat or the other one How do i know if im having one, cuz my system sucks loll
Old 04-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NguyenAzn
somehow i just couldnt find the sub under the driver seat or the other one How do i know if im having one, cuz my system sucks loll
All US cars have the subs no matter if they are the Standard Stereo or the L7. See picture in this link under the seat, the sub will be under a grill on the floor next to the door pillar. AND YES, the standard stereo friggin blows!!!

https://5series.net/forums/topic/891...ereo-upgrades/