E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Someone is joining the Ultra Racing Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xit

Originally Posted by NoQuarter
It doesn't look like it will fit a 535. Looks like the bar is flat and straight and the airbox is in the way. Anyone know different?

edit: just looked at their product list and they call it an E60 530 bar. Didn't see a 535
I got it to fit on my E61 535xi. It is a tight fit but it just clears the airbox. I used some additional washers under the rear mounting points of the bar (where the bar direct attaches to the strut bolt). You could use the same for the front mounting points (where the stock bar and the UR bar mount together) for additional space.

The results are significant! (I saw some naysayers on this thread). The front of the car feels more solid (It is quite noticeable). The ride is smoother, the steering slightly heaver and the turn in is much sharper as well. I now need to find a solution for the rear of the car. With the front so much tighter the rear feels looser (structurally). I could only imagine how all four bars (strut, bottom front and 2 rears) would transform the car... Good job UR!
Old 06-11-2011, 12:49 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by olivierfm
I got it to fit on my E61 535xi. It is a tight fit but it just clears the airbox. I used some additional washers under the rear mounting points of the bar (where the bar direct attaches to the strut bolt). You could use the same for the front mounting points (where the stock bar and the UR bar mount together) for additional space.

The results are significant! (I saw some naysayers on this thread). The front of the car feels more solid (It is quite noticeable). The ride is smoother, the steering slightly heaver and the turn in is much sharper as well. I now need to find a solution for the rear of the car. With the front so much tighter the rear feels looser (structurally). I could only imagine how all four bars (strut, bottom front and 2 rears) would transform the car... Good job UR!
Thanks for letting me know. I'll order the bar!
Old 06-11-2011, 10:21 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

LOL, your assessment is spot on. I am thinking the exact same thing.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

you need the other 3 UR bars
Old 06-12-2011, 12:43 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
LOL, your assessment is spot on. I am thinking the exact same thing.
dont think just get them .
Old 06-22-2011, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci

Front Lower Bar installed on my 2008 535xi. It fits!
Old 06-22-2011, 02:01 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Nice, congrats!! How about a review?
Old 06-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Contributors

congrats
you liking it?
Old 06-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Senior Members

Nothing to report yet.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:50 PM
Senior Members

Just getting an update and some pics posted:

The lower front bar
The lower bar installed on my 535xi. I was able to do the install in my garage up on jack stands. You can see in the pic, on the left, I added a piece of hose to the metal tube that was near the bar and zip tied it to the bar to keep from rubbing.

By the way.. that looks like a monter size sway bar in the front. I don't think I will be trying to upgrade that.
Someone is joining the Ultra Racing Club-dsc04979.jpg

Someone is joining the Ultra Racing Club-dsc04980.jpg

I just left these underbody panels off instead of trying to modify them. Just a small opening is left at the corners where the car mounts.
Someone is joining the Ultra Racing Club-dsc04981.jpg

The upper strut bar
The strut bar is advertised for the 530 only and the label on the bar says the same thing. It does fit the 535 with these issues:
  • The remote + battery connection will not open normally. I spent some time looking at relocating it but I will have to be another project if I ever get back to it. If I need a jump in an emergency the cap can be removed from the hinge with the fingers instead of just flipped open.
  • The bar fits really tight on the air box cover. I considered adding some spacer washers as was mentioned in an earlier post but opted to just tighen it down on the box. The air box is mounted with some rubber bushings and seemed to compress well enough. I will keep an eye on it to see if I jave some rubbing/abrasion to be concerned with. And yes... I will have to remove the strut bar to change the air filter - hardly a concern for me.

Someone is joining the Ultra Racing Club-dsc04990.jpg

Someone is joining the Ultra Racing Club-dsc04991.jpg

Someone is joining the Ultra Racing Club-dsc04992.jpg

So with the lower and upper bar installed I am sure I feel a nice difference in just the casual driving I have been going back and forth to work. I am working on a test-and-tune date at Gingerman here real soon - but of course I won't be able to report a before and after. These are inexpensive enough that I will go on the assumtption "they can't hurt". Besides, it was fun working on them with my son.

Quick Reply: Someone is joining the Ultra Racing Club