E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Someone is joining the Ultra Racing Club

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Diamond
Gosh its really hard to not be an asshole when people are just so absolutely stupid. Did you even read the post or my comments before you reply an answer that has nothing to do with my point.

I never said the oem car is as good as it gets from the factor and there is not big room for performance improvement. My point is almost all aftermarket mods, including performance enhancers such as suspension, comes at the cost of reducing oem ride comfort, quiet sound (for exhausts) or exterior mods (which changes OEM look which like it or not bmw chose the exterior appearence for their reasons.)

My point is this piece of metal on the strut braces has absolutely NO downside to the quality, comfort or perforamnce of the oem car. Yet it "increases performance". Anytime you get something for nothing it begs the question whether it does anything.

Now if the strut bar signifigantly deteriorated ride quality for performance than it would make more sense that it did something signifigant.

However bmw always has made the max performance at the certrain comfort level they select with their sport packages. They want a certain comfort level and then pack in the max performance they can at that comfort point.

So changing your suspension you admitted made your car less comfortable, and that is my point. It changes OEM in favor of performance.

Now if someone found a suspension setup that had better performance with no change to comfort, ride etc than that would be a comparable example.

Bottom line is this strut brace is cheap, detracts nothing from OEM car or handling and has no downsides---bmw would have used it if it had a performance benefit.

thanks for playing

again, you are assuming BMW would even consider the add'd "minimal cost" of a strut brace over the already provided ARS and suspension. Would a strut brace be a real deal breaker in opting for the sport pkg/suspension to the avg consumer/prospective e60 owner? I highly doubt it, so why not cut a few corners and not include it to save some $. To the general population/street driver, a strut brace could or would not be noticed. So before you go about crapping on another's mod and hiding behind assumptions that BMW would have provided such parts if needed, refrain from attacking other members as well as do more research and provide or at least stimulate some discussion regarding it's engineering and physics as it pertains to performance/handling. Again, how you justify your mods can and will be different than others. But for a change, could you discuss something without directly attacking or offending someone.

the condescending, "I'm smarter than you are" tone you continue to exhibit is getting old and tiresome. It would be nice to see you actually appreciate and take advantage of the extended "pass" the admins and mods have given you this time around in not banning you again Diamond. Feel free to pm me for further discussion if need be, but entertaining this continued behavior publicly does no one on this forum any good.

***I am neither for not against this aftermarket product, but hoping to learn more about it.

before the name calling and flaming continues, please take a second to read the forum rules:

http://forums.5serie...12-forum-rules/

particularly this section:

Flaming/Personal Attacks/Off Topic Posts & Comments

The administrators, super moderators, and moderators of 5series.net have the right to edit/open/close/move/delete any thread or post. Decisions are subject to admin/super moderator/moderator discretion. Disputes and questions about decisions made by admins/super mods/mods should be discussed via PM with a Super Moderator or Admin.

Harassment or flaming of any kind will not be tolerated. Posts that incite arguments or flame wars, including name calling and/or picking fights etc. will be strictly moderated. Post of this nature or that contribute nothing but negativity can result in the immediate closing or deletion or editing of the post. Disregarding an admin's/a super moderator's/a moderator's admonishment/direction can result in a temporary or permanent ban.

A forum is a public meeting place for open discussion. "Open" does not include disrespectful comments about persons nor the license to say what one pleases. 'Discussion' happens here, i.e. consideration of questions in an informal debate. In the context of a forum, RULES are established for the common good so selfishness, incivility, and unaccountable opinion do not deter meaningful exchange and conversation. Taking a discussion needlessly off-topic will not be tolerated.

Flaming/Trolling will not be tolerated for any reason. Name-calling and personal attacks are not acceptable. "You are wrong" is not a personal attack; "You are an idiot" is. Admin/Super Moderator/Moderator judgment will apply on a case to case basis.

***consider and take into consideration before continuing to post...

this is my first and only warning.....
Old 06-05-2011, 02:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I will ignore Diamond, as it makes no sense to reply to him.

On topic:

1. Specifically to what Gene said about "lap times" as a proof that a strut bar does work. Let me say something clearly: to me the strut bar advantage does not lie in lap time improvement. I had A-pillar creaking, dashboard creaking over bumps and a soft feel about the front end of the car over bad pavement, which got 75% cured by the strut bar. This is what I value about it, not lap times. My car just feels better, if you want it feels more solid, upmarket, high-quality and reassuring specifically by not creaking and with reduced front-end shuddering. And this is absolutely objective: the creaking sound is just NOT there, and I am sure vibrations can be measured with some sort of equipment on the same piece of pavement. Actual speed in a curve or lap times are something different, I don't know whether the strut bar improves them (may well do as others suggest), and I don't care.

2. A lot of people bring the argument "why did BMW not put one by factory". First it did put one in the E60 and its still in the F01, F07 and F10. So it must make sense. Second, like with many mods, some people just require more - more power, more brake force, more speed, more/better sound, better suspension. Or more chassis rigidity and therefore an additional strut brace. It is as simple as that!

3. I hear no one from the strut bar opponents mention ever mention the tiring of the chassis with time and mileage. Do you expect a 5-year old car with 100,000 miles to have the same rigidity as a new one? It has probably declined massively. At that point, no one cares what BMW installed or did not install in the factory, as the car is not factory-fresh. The chassis has taken a lot of strain during usage and precisely because of that it needs a reinforcement in the form of strut bar, UR bars, M5-pull rods or whatever.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:26 AM
Contributors

Boys it's easy to be a theoretical bookworm behind a CPU. It's another to have real world experience. You must be pretty thick headed to think that a strut bar does absolutely nothing for performance. There's a reason why every f1 car, rally car, shit even NASCAR utilizes these products. How about we put your money where your mouth is? If you are all that you claim to be, let's take it to the track. Put up or shut up, it's as simple as that! Diamond if I recall correctly didn't you get banned several times? If you enjoy being on this forum I strongly suggest you take a more mature approach to these subjects rather than resulting to expletives.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Diamond
Gosh its really hard to not be an asshole when people are just so absolutely stupid. Did you even read the post or my comments before you reply an answer that has nothing to do with my point.

thanks for playing
Hey Diamond, I have been on this board for a while and have seen the "floor mat delete" to the imfamous RedWhiteBlue...anyways, you seem to be providing some good answers and discussion, but you seem to just attack the other side of a debate. You have been banned here before many times. Chill out man, its just a forum on a damn computer. Just enjoy the debates without personal attacks. I am no MOD but you seem to be pushing your luck with members around here that do provide valuable information such as what you have been doing lately. I have closely been following your Giniti tune for the n52 engine. I hope you make some changes before you get BANNED, AGAIN! THANKS FOR PLAYING...
Old 06-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System

This is what i plan to get...any advice or opinions or alternatives would be nice recommondations:

1) Upper Front strut bar

2) Front Lower bar

3) Rear lower bar

4) I can't find the rear upper bar...?

I plan on getting these 3 and installing the KSPORT coilovers. Again, any alternatives or suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:50 AM
Senior Members

also, what is the differnce between this rear lower bar and the one I posted in my previous post? CLICK HERE
Old 06-05-2011, 06:08 AM
Senior Members

Sorry, but I also noticed that there might be a lower middle bar and how would I know if I have active roll stabilization? I have 2007 530i with sports package.
Old 06-05-2011, 06:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

I want to fight Gene! J/K

They work. Wether it is just feeling or true performance. All you have to do is get one and put it on. If you like it keep it. If not, use it as a cane. Who cares.

Next slide please.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:07 AM
Senior Members

here is some more info for everybody: Click here

https://5series.net/forums/topic/972...1#entry1154667
Old 06-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

houbmw, alot of members have 2 or 3 of these bars already there was a group buy about a year back and it was a hell of a deal! i was looking until a rear tower strut but have been unsuccessful :thumbsdown:

Quick Reply: Someone is joining the Ultra Racing Club