E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Snow tires needed on a 5?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='498991' date='Nov 25 2007, 09:30 PM
Which is exactly how The Tire Rack ships them...BMW centers included and installed...
Sometimes. My last set did not have them. I'm told that you should ask.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='498984' date='Nov 25 2007, 09:14 PM
If I remember the Blizzak model line correctly, the WS-50 is designed for maximum performance in the snow and ice where the LM-22 sacrifices some of the snow and ice performance for better dry performance.

There's always a trade-off between pure snow and ice traction and dry weather (but cold temperature) traction. Your uncle liked the snow performance of the WS-50 because it is an amazing tire in those conditions. The problem is that those tires aren't so amazing when you're not driving on snow and ice.

Many years ago, when Blizzaks first were introduced, there was only one model -- one that performed in the snow and ice. I used them on my E30 M3 and, although I could go anywhere in the snow, I hated them when it wasn't snowing. They were very, very spongy and the tread wore out fairly fast.

Unless you live somewhere where it snows a heck of a lot, you may find the LM-22 a better choice...
We read through the info online. He seemed to think the LM-22 would be OK in snow, but not the same on ice. Ice is a concern as much as snow. I'll sleep on it and make the call in the morning.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by chriscpm' post='498997' date='Nov 25 2007, 09:46 PM
We read through the info online. He seemed to think the LM-22 would be OK in snow, but not the same on ice. Ice is a concern as much as snow. I'll sleep on it and make the call in the morning.
I drove on LM-25s for the last two winters in SE Michigan. They performed well in snow and ice, to the point that my 330 outperformed my AWD X3 (with all seasons) in the snow.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='498984' date='Nov 25 2007, 09:14 PM
If I remember the Blizzak model line correctly, the WS-50 is designed for maximum performance in the snow and ice where the LM-22 sacrifices some of the snow and ice performance for better dry performance.

There's always a trade-off between pure snow and ice traction and dry weather (but cold temperature) traction. Your uncle liked the snow performance of the WS-50 because it is an amazing tire in those conditions. The problem is that those tires aren't so amazing when you're not driving on snow and ice.

Many years ago, when Blizzaks first were introduced, there was only one model -- one that performed in the snow and ice. I used them on my E30 M3 and, although I could go anywhere in the snow, I hated them when it wasn't snowing. They were very, very spongy and the tread wore out fairly fast.

Unless you live somewhere where it snows a heck of a lot, you may find the LM-22 a better choice...
I think I'm tossing out the WS-50s. My uncle who was so fond of them did confirm they do effect the ride. He said he got them because his car was so low, so that was his main concern.

With that choice out, I'm tossing between the Blizzak LM-22, the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 that someone said were great, and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. The Dunlops are run flats, which I hear make for a rougher ride in general. I'd like to avoid a rough ride, so I'll probably pick between the other two. The Michelins are a bit more, but nothing in the big picture. Either choice is probably fine I guess.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by chriscpm' post='499262' date='Nov 26 2007, 06:17 PM
I think I'm tossing out the WS-50s. My uncle who was so fond of them did confirm they do effect the ride. He said he got them because his car was so low, so that was his main concern.

With that choice out, I'm tossing between the Blizzak LM-22, the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA3 that someone said were great, and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3. The Dunlops are run flats, which I hear make for a rougher ride in general. I'd like to avoid a rough ride, so I'll probably pick between the other two. The Michelins are a bit more, but nothing in the big picture. Either choice is probably fine I guess.
Just to muddy the waters a bit more -- the Dunlops are available in both a runflat and a non-runflat so you need a three-sided coin now...
Old 11-26-2007, 03:45 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='499278' date='Nov 26 2007, 07:31 PM
Just to muddy the waters a bit more -- the Dunlops are available in both a runflat and a non-runflat so you need a three-sided coin now...
I see it now, the Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D are in non-runflats. I'm waiting on an email from tirerack. I think I'll pick something tomorrow after that.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

The dunlop M3's are not runflat. I know I just put them on my car 2 weeks ago. I bought them from tirerack. I believe the 3D's are runflat not the M3's. That's why I went with the M3's staggered. 245-18 front and 275-18 rear. It's what the car calls for based on my wheels.

Rick...
Old 11-26-2007, 06:44 PM
Members

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='499333' date='Nov 26 2007, 10:23 PM
The dunlop M3's are not runflat. I know I just put them on my car 2 weeks ago. I bought them from tirerack. I believe the 3D's are runflat not the M3's. That's why I went with the M3's staggered. 245-18 front and 275-18 rear. It's what the car calls for based on my wheels.

Rick...
The tirerack info in confusing, but when I do the compare option I can see the version of the 3Ds for my car in a 17 a not runflats. The 3D seems to have the most positive reviews from BMW drivers, so I'm leaning that way.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by slickrick' post='499333' date='Nov 26 2007, 10:23 PM

Rick...
As I mentioned earlier, the Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tire is available in both a runflat (DSST) and a non-runflat. The 3D's also come in both flavors...

M3:
Non-runflat:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Winter+Sport+M3
Runflat:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...r+Sport+M3+DSST

3D:
Non-runflat:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Winter+Sport+3D
Runflat:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...er+Sport+3D+ROF
Old 11-26-2007, 09:59 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Grey / Black leather / Step Auto / Sport / Premium / Cold weather / 18" wheels / Logic 7 / Comfort / ipod / Navigation / Fold Down Rear Seats / Rear Airbags / Sirius SAT / Spoiler / Extended Clear bra / Bluetooth. (Previously owned a 2002 sport 525I Loaded). On order: 535xi Platnium Grey with Black interior, Step Auto, Sports package, Premium package, Cold weather package, 18" wheels, Logic 7, Comfort access, ipod adapt, Navigation, Sat radio, Rear spoiler, Extended Clear coat bra.

You are correct Rudy. Thanks for clearing it up.

Quick Reply: Snow tires needed on a 5?